“Nice stay”

Ranked #7 of 11 Tessera B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We had a nice stay here. I don't like how early checkout is. We had to checkout right after breakfast when our flight wasn't until the afternoon, leaving us the option of waiting outside the bed and breakfast or waiting in the airport. That was a bit frustrating but overall it was a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We arrive late, missed our connection and had an additional connection through Brussels.
We were picked up within five minutes. The room was lovely, not the typical hotel cookie cutter room. The breakfast was also great. Do it your self espresso (and other coffee drinks) a variety of croissants, yogurt, eggs. We were meeting up with friends back at the airport and took the bus, 5 minutes from in front of the hotel. Found the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We picked this B&B because it is located very close to the Venice Marco Polo airport. If your flight arrives late in the evening or departs very early in the morning, they will provide you with one free shuttle ride (one or the other, but not both). This was perfect for us as we were arriving into the airport in the afternoon, but then were departing very early in the morning the next day. Getting to the B&B from the airport was relatively simple taking the public bus – there are 2 lines, one drops off in front of the B&B and the other drops off about a 5 minute walk away. Either way, the bus ride is a very short one, which is why we were surprised that the bus ticket still cost 6 euros a person. The price is so much higher because the bus is departing from the airport. Depending on how many are in your party, you may want to investigate taking a taxi. There are buses that run into Venice, but we did not take those buses since we were there for such a short period. When you arrive there, they will give you an information sheet which shows you were all the bus stops are and what the tickets cost – this information would actually have been very helpful before we arrived to the B&B as we got off the bus and wandered for a few minutes until we realized that the street that we were supposed to turn down was a bit further down.

We booked our room through the website venere.com. As a few others commented, when you book through that website, it looks as though you are booking a specific room, but if you read the fine print, it does say that your room will be assigned based on availability. It looked like all the rooms are up in the attic space, so it is about a 2 flight up walk to the rooms. The windows are actually skylights on the ceiling, and they do have shades that you can close to block the daylight out. Overall, the room with attached bathroom was clean and met our needs. The shuttle in the early morning was prompt and very much appreciated. Your stay does come with a breakfast, but as we left so early in the morning, we missed the breakfast.

After making the reservation, you will be asked to specify your time of arrival. I gave them an estimate of my arrival time, based on when my flight landed and time to navigate the bus system. About a week before my arrival (I was already in Italy and fortunately did have access to email), I received an email from the B&B asking if I could plan to arrive 2 hours later. I explained that my time estimate was based on when my flight arrived, which I could not change. I was then told that a B&B operates differently than a hotel – I was a bit confused about this comment and was not sure what it meant as I had, as instructed, informed them of my arrival time, which was in the middle of the afternoon, and did not believe that I was being overly demanding. Nevertheless, they responded that they would try to be there upon my arrival. When we arrived to the B&B, the gates were locked and no one was around – there is a phone number listed on the gate, but as we were international traveler’s, we did not have a cell phone on us. It was a bit stressful as I was not sure if we would be waiting 10 mins, or 2 hours (the time that they had requested that I show up at). Fortunately we only ended up waiting about 15 minutes on the driveway (nowhere else to go since the entire property is gated off) until they arrived home. When they did arrive home, they seem baffled that I was there so early and told me that they were expecting me 30 minutes later – it wasn’t exactly a warm greeting and I was left to carry multiple bags up the driveway to the building myself (my husband decided to walk back to the town area to get some food since we had no idea how long we would be waiting and left his bags with me on the driveway). Another family member checked me in and she was quite kind – she did help me carry some bags upstairs to the room.

Be aware that if you book through venere.com, you will get an email response from the B&B with further instructions– this was the email that I originally responded with my arrival time. I got no response to this email, and also no response when I “replied” to this email again about 2 weeks before my trip to confirm my stay. I then took a closer look and noticed that these emails were through the venere.com system, and not directly from the B&B. I then emailed the B&B’s direct email and received prompt responses. I do not know if this miscommunication may have contributed to the issues with coordinating arrival times. I am hoping that this was an anomaly as this B&B is quite convenient for getting to/from the airport.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Excellent for early flights; you can get to Venice centre in 20 min by public bus. It's located in the airport area, with free shuttle for very early or late flights. Very nice house in the middle of a garden.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Di_ftes
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 24 December 2012

The first time I called and spoke to the women on the phone, I had a bad feeling. The second and third time still got a bad feeling from the cold and unfriendly women on the phone. She was curt and matter of fact, absolutely no customer service skills. I want to give her a chance thinking perhaps she just had a bad day. (Wrong that seemed to be her nature) When I arrived the evening of my reservation, her face matched her tone on the phone - cold and stern. She made me feel like I was imposing on her just because I showed up for my reservation. Bed and breakfast? breakfast consisted of having a pot in the room that I could use to heat water, and make my coffee, and some cookies and cakes in packages like you would find in a vending machine. Horrible experience. Fortunately for me, I only endured for one evening and was out of there and would never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Rosa B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I had a bad feeling by the unfriendly and unhelpful emails during the booking process that this was going to be a bad experience and I was right. The directions to get to the bnb were bad, when I finally arrived, the host was very businesslike and didn't introduce herself despite our numerous emails. The air con in the room was locked, luckily I didn't need to use it! I chose this place because of their free shuttle service to the airport and their close proximity to the airport for an early flight in the morning. On reflection, I probably should've just stayed in old Venice and made the effort to leave early as it is a long way out. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jemmaleah
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We planned for a day trip to Venice, and stayed 1 nights in the Villa ai Tigli, The B&B was quite hard to find, the house numbering on the road was quite odd with no, or little indication of the entrance, we drove up and down the street for 15mins before finally finding its location. We requested for the Hart Room and did the reservation of the Hart Room on Hotels.com. But the owner refused to give us that room. I couldnt understand why, she just mentioned that rooms were "assigned according to our organization's work". We've been to other B&B's, they were all very nice and friendly, guess the owner of Villa ai Tigli does not like to smile as much. Or maybe they felt we were troubling them when we requested to turn up the Air Con from 24'C to 21 in a windowless window on a hot night. Yeah, the air con control was locked so you have you ask them to come up the room to tune it for you. The other tenants staying there were more helpful and friendlier than the owners. All in all, room was clean, parking was free. Terrace and breakfast was nice as well.

Room Tip: Ugh, even if you requested, they will only "assigned according to our organization's work...