Castellare
Villa dei Bosconi(Fiesole)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$140
US$604
US$558
FH Villa Fiesole Hotel(Fiesole)(Great Value!)
US$540
Travelocity
Il Trebbiolo Relais(Molino del Piano)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstuscan hillscatinaloggiatranquilitynaturepisaaccommodationhostdrive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed here in sept in the 2 bedroom apartment, staletta? The location is stunning, set uP in the middle of the woods (this is definitely for people looking for a quiet, relaxing time) not good if you would like to be in the hustle and bustle of a city.

The cottage is run by a lovely lady called catina who was very helpful but also kept her distance if you like you privacy.

The rooms were excellent and we did not expect the level of facilities provided- Sky tv/wifi/iron, even a guitar! The swimming pool was beauifully situated, and was almost deserted every day.

He kitchen is fully equipped with free coffee/machine and there is a private area to sit outside each apartment (3 all together).

A couple of points- make sure you get some food to take with you, we arrived on sat night and didn't realise the local shop would be closed on Sunday. Luckily we had booked the castle for dinner on the Sunday (castello del trebbio) for a seven course meal and had managed to buy some frozen pizzas from a local bar for lunch. But I'd reccomend you to buy a few essentials before arriving. Also, all the restaurants in the area were closed on Monday's although im not sure if it's the same everywhere!

A car is a definite requirement and we managed to hire one from Pisa pretty cheaply.

Florence is easily accessible from the train station a few miles away.

I'll put some pics up,and definitely recommend this beautiful farmhouse!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We would highly recommend this place to anyone staying in Toscany. Me and my family (wife and our 1 year old child) stayed here for 4 nights in June 2011 while we were exploring the nearby area. It was very important for us to be close to the places we came to visit because of our child and we easily went on one-day tours to Sienna and Firenze. Castellare is situated, I believe, in one of the most beautiful places in Toscany on a small hill completely surrounded by forest. The drive there from Molino del Piano is among green hills and wineyards and we could have been driving around for hours just enjoying the views. The house is an ancient building with an interesting history which Catina writes about in her "welcome-book" which gives a lot of information about the apartment, the area, what to do, where to eat and more - a great idea. In this book Catina also recommeds a wine tour at Castello del Trebbio which is a small beautiful fortress situated in Santa Brigida very close to Castellare. Of course, we went and we would recommend this interesting tour to anyone. The apartment (we stayed in the Stalla which is a two-story apartment) is very spacious, clean and ideal for a family as Catina provides everything needed such as baby chair and cot. The kitchen is well equipped and we could easily cook food when needed. Catina has keept the apartment in its medieval spirit and made it cosy and comfortable. In the garden there's a big swimmingpool, unfortunately, the weather wasn't that warm when we were there and we didn't use it although it looked so inviting lying in the green field below the house. It is such a quiet and peaceful place and we spent much time just relaxing at the terrace listing to the birds sing and drinking our coffee. Our child loved to explore the nature around the house and was very happy. We want to thank Catina very much for her hospitality and good spirits. She was helpful and answered any questions we had and when we had to call a doctor one evening she was so understanding and helpful and made it all very easy for us (she also went to the farmacy the next day to get the medication). We would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a quiet and romantic vacation in the heart of Toscany.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Tuscany, the first week of which my family spent at' 'Castellare'. We were sad to leave and feel that this place was the highlight of our holiday, thanks to the wonderful setting and the kindness of Catina, the owner.

We stayed at the Stalletta cottage which was apparently the smallest property of the 4 available, but it was perfect for my husband, myself and 17 month old boy. We had a peek at all the cottages and they were all beautifully and thoughtfully furnished, with an elegant simplicity and striking artwork on the walls. We even had satellite TV and a dvd player which was great for entertaining our son in the evenings.

The location is pretty remote so you definitely need a car if you want to explore; Catina has put together a useful welcome pack with tips about where to go and how to get there; we were glad she told us to get the train to Florence as it would have been hard to drive there. There is a fantastic castle 10 mins away where they have wine tasting tours and we had one of the best meals of our lives there; a 7 course tasting menu for 35 euros, it was delicious! There's also a great family-oriented pizzeria 5 mins away in Doccia.

It was really the warmth of Catina and her family and her kindness to our little boy that 'made' the experience so special for us. We would love to come back and hopefully will one day soon.

Room Tip: Check if cottage is on more than one level
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pippav05
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We (two adults and our son) stayed for two weeks in late June early July 2010 for our summer holiday and I feel I could not have chosen better. This is a quiet and genuinely 'Italian feeling' countryside location with beautiful art adorning the historic (but very nicely renovated) and welcoming accommodation (my photos do not do justice). The woods are stunning and create a feeling of safe seclusion within the wilderness. Lying next to and swimming in the fabulous pool (that my two year old adored! and which we had to ourselves nearly every time we used it) listening to bird song was relaxing beyond belief. (The pool was essential as we had a heat wave of temperatures up to 38C) Catina was so warm and welcoming (my little boy loved her and she babysat for us a few times) and really knows how to make her guests feel at home. There are three accommodations and despite this and a family home the place feels very private and I felt like there was absolutely no pressure-in fact the whole atmosphere is one of complete relaxation. As the previous review says -Catina is a wonderful person to have created this. Florence:-the art, the architecture, the ice cream (!) is literally 20 minutes away-we took the train and it was really straight forward getting there. Sienna and other Tuscan towns are within easy reach by car and definitely worth a drive to. If you're more adventurous, the mountains; Apennines are stunning and the seaside resort of Porta Venere (next to La Spezia) is within reach for a day trip on the Autostrada and a very beautiful med. setting with beaches.
The best restaurant I have been to is a short 10 minute drive away from Castellare and feels like Michelin ** -with dining al fresco with mountain views- but at a fraction of the cost. Altogether if you are looking for the authentic, peaceful Italian holiday in Chianti with access to all Tuscany has to offer this place is perfect and I am already planning my return!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank fificush
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We stayed at the Castellare for 4 nights last year and were traveling with our 2 yr old toddler. I stumbled upon this listing on a website and unfortunately could not get too many reviews about it, like it is for a lot of places in Europe! So I emailed the owner Catina and got her to send me some pictures taken by her. In that way I made sure that I was not getting into something unpleasant.
The place by itself is located on a secluded property and is a distance away from any houses. The silence was deafening on the first night for us city dwellers, but it sure did grow on us. Catina, the owner is a wonderful person and proved to be a lovely host. She lives on the property with her family. She recommended a friend cook us the first nights dinner, which was a lovely Italian dinner ready to eat when we landed there somewhere in the evening. Unfortunately we did not get to use the pool as the water was still not warm enough to open.
This place is ideal for someone who wants to stay away from the main city, but at the same time be close enough to get to places within 30 minutes. We did a couple of day trips to Pisa, San Gimignano and some other rustic Tuscan towns. We took the train to Florence from the station which is about 1-2 miles from the property.
But note that you must have a vehicle of your own if you want to stay here. There is no real transport around at least that I was aware of. I would surely think of going and staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family