“The perfect Sole Fish”

Price range: US$40 - US$66
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The restaurant has an indoor heated and another located outside between green of palms and bamboo, ideal for fresh summer dinner. The Mezzaparola fish and drink is not only a restaurant but also a lounge bar located next to the restaurant veranda where you canenjoy the sunset.From 19:00 on ... you get a chance to sip long drinks,cocktails and craft beers.During the week we organize events with live music and cocktails... party that will make your evening fun and bubbly.
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It had been a couple years since I last visited this restaurant and it was just by accident that I found myself near Donnalucata so I decided to give it another try. On the first visit the meal was very good but not great but on this one Sunday evening everything that we ordered came out of the kitchen perfect. Let me say that I seldom order from menus and this evening was no exception. I've lived in Sicily 40 years and my Italian is very good so finding out what arrived off the boats that day isn't an issue for me. That said our waiter spoke passable English which was just fine for the American couple seated near us.

We started out with some raw, marinated scampi and 2 kinds of marinated shrimp. Impeccably fresh, well presented, and absolutely delicious. We moved on to a 3.5lb sole fish (rombo). Not easily found this size in restaurants, the chef baked it in the oven in a light fish fume with the addition of a few cherry tomatoes. Our waiter was masterful in cleanning the fish, not one of our party of 4 found a single bone. The fish was cooked to perfection which seldomly happens at any restaurant in Sicily. Even 30 extra seconds would have ruined the delicate flesh of this fish.

I chose a Baglio del Cristo di Campobello Ardenza which worked extremely well with both the starters and entree. Including 2 bottles of wine, dessert, and some after dinner drinks the total bill was 300 euro. Inexpensive no but worth every euro. It may be that for some people on a budget one of the other restaurants in Donnalucata may be a better choice but if you can do it than Mezzaparola is well worth trying.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I visited from Ottawa Canada. We stayed at a B&B in Donnalucata and decided to go to this restaurant one night. The place looked real nice so we walked in but there were only 5 tables being served. Not a big deal it was after all low season in Sept. We sat down and ordered our meal of mixed fried fish to share fro starters and then my husband and I ordered pasta with seafood. The waiter seemed very pleasant. But while we were eating our mixed fried fish which was very good, we overheard an older man with glasses working in the kitchen (probably the owner because it looked like his wife was helping in the kitchen also) at the back looking at our table and saying sarcastically "Ma quando tempo ci vuole per mangiare una frittura di pesce!". Little did he know that my although we ordered in English and pretended to not understand italian, that we are perfectly trilingual and our parents immigrated fro Italy to Canada and we went to Italian school when we were kids! This has given us the opportunity to visit Italy for the last 6 years in a row. All I can say is that comments coming from the kitchen owner should stay in the kitchen. These types of remarks to paying customers can make the dining experience unpleasant! No matter how good your food is, and it was good, the comments were unnecessary as it does take time to clean fried fish if it still has all it's skeletal remains. One lesson to learn here is that one never knows what language someone speaks when you enter a business that relies on people to keep it successful. So cooks should keep their comments to themselves and not blurt out rude remarks to their diners while they are eating!
Maybe next time we'll order in Italian!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Definitely best choice in Donnalucata: food (fish and pasta), wine, staff and desserts deserve a standing ovation.

1  Thank Ulisse979
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We spent 2 weeks in the neighbourhood, having come from Napoli. We ate at this wonderful little restaurant 5 times in that period. It was just fantastic. We eneded up asking the owner & his daughter what the catch of the day was, and that's what we ate! The fish was fantastic & VERY FRESH!!! The fist day, we had the most amazing pasta dish, spagetti con canocchia. It was incredible! really tasty, it looked like a langoustine, but it was just the meat. It was sweet and just so tasty. I also had the spagetti vongole one day, with the smallest clams I have ever eaten, they were just lovely. We had the most delicious John Dory(St. Pietro) cooked to perfection, with lovely roasted potatoes & tomatoes. We tried the antipasta of the house, too, and it had the most lovely anchovies, they were so fresh & tasty. Every meal we had was just wonderful. I think it was the best restaurant in the area, and I would definitely go back. The owner Pino speaks really good English, the first couple of times we went in, he spoke Italian to us. But then one day we got talking, and he told us a story about how he was flown over to the UK for a tv show called 'Game for a Laugh' he went on to tell us a great anecdote, and we were all in stitches! Do give it a try. We also tried some excellent Sicilian wines.

2  Thank suzanneb255
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Me and Family traveling in Sicily we stopped at Donnalucata to eat. This Resturant was recommended by at least three locals. We arrived there, parked the car in front check the fish racket which basicaly 5 meters from the enterance. We thought ths will be great fresh seafood straight from the small boats. The whole experience was terrible we ordered baby octopus fried some marinated enchovies for appetizer. The fried octopus was so bad it soaking in bad oil. Anchovies were also bad not fresh and edited awfull. The main course came to supposedly fresh fish and plater of grilled shrimps . This was the limit it was catastrophic for a meal 132 euro total and eft thevfoodvthe same. Staff and chef was not the friendliest we met.

2  Thank BassimH