“nice Hotel, but middle Class”
Review of Hotel Heiden

Hotel Heiden
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heiden
Irdning
“nice Hotel, but middle Class”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We could stay 2 days at the Hotel Weiden,
of course a nice Hotel, but for Businesstrips not the best.
Many oderly people are there for recreation and Wellness, the area Weiden
is really nice if you look for absolute SILENCE.

The rooms in first floor were very warm inside, due to the heated wellness below,
so you have to open the terasse door, and you hear the Church Bell ringing all full hours...
Dont forget, you are in the Swiss Alps!

In the room were some Spidernet on the ceiling, the rooms would need some
new touchup, but again, mostly people +70 are there for recreation.

The wellness area is absolute perfect, also the Sauna area or jaccuzi outside!

Room Tip: take higher floor, not to have a too hot room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I headed off for a two day - recover from family Christmas - break. If you are expecting luxurious surroundings , sumptuous rooms you will be disappointed but if you want a classic swiss Kur Ort experience you will love it. The place is incredible clean and yes just a bit clinical. The spa is well appointed. The restaurants are excellent and the staff are helpful and friendly. You get charged for parking but the internet is free. Value for money is a hard one. By English standards the hotel is incredibly expensive. By Swiss standards it is about what you would expect to pay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter d
Montreux, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Imagine in your head, what images you think a cross between The Prisoner, a Dignitas Clinic and a sterile Heath Spa smelling of chlorine and light sulphur might conjure up in your head. Imagine the rooms, the ambience. Imagine your bedroom. And the sterility of it all. Even down to the staff.

You have probably quite accurately imagined this place...

No car park (only for VVIP, reserved by cone). You park on the street with meters parking.
Welcome like I felt I was entering a hospital.
Sterile room ( by the way, 2 star not 4)
Single bed ( I felt I was 12 all over again)
No soap (bring your own)
Minbar - all kinds of water but this is a healthy hotel so just one small bottle of beer
Minuscule pillow ( it's a Spa place, you must suffer pain for gain)
Lousy TV channels ( but it's a Spa place you should be in bed by 20.00)
Bad nights sleep
Poor breakfast
Top dollar cost
Poor value for money
Sterile staff

Your choice if you book but my view is that it's aimed at those who want Spa treatments. If you're a vacationer to see the area, or a business traveller, I suspect it is unlikely to tick many of your boxes.....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Simon d
hotel-heiden1, Manager at Hotel Heiden, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear Sir
We thank you for taking the time to evaluate our hotel. We very much regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your criticism helps us improve our services. Allow us to adress some of the points of criticism:
- You stayed in a room which was renovated in January 2013. (See our website.)
- All our single beds have a width of 120cm to 160cm.
- All rooms have liquid soap, shower gel, shampoo and body milk.
- We have over 37 TV channels.
- Parking: Yes, on the day of your arrival we had a large conference and all our parking places
were occupied. This is why we had to reserve street parking for you.

As mentioned, we are taking your criticism seriously and will critically scrutinize each point.

Caspar Lips, Manager
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed there for one night at the occasion of a good friend's wedding in a nearby top notch restaurant. First of all, you cannot drive up to the front desk because of some local market (they did not notably not think of raising their voice so that guests would be allowed to do so). This is totally unacceptable. My wife and I, already dressed in exclusive evening-gown, had to walk past the crowd. That is THE absolute no-go. Room: small, too hot, no A/C (and it was not summer). Curtains that do not blind. TV from the 1970s, two small beds, Phone wake-up call system that does not work. Noisy building. Staff starts to move furnitrue at 9am and start knocking on your door before 10am (ridiculous given check-out is 11am). Bathroom amenities below standard and no decent possibility to hang a evening dress and a smoking.So what would you expect to pay for this? Probalby CHF 100 for the room? No, no. You pay CHF 153.00 per Person for the room. I can go anywhere in this world, including places like Moscow or Tokyo, and get 5-star accommodation for a good discounted rate for this. Now comes the best part: they had an agreement with the restaurant where the wedding party was and, consequentially, gave us 10 francs discount. Honestly, such a tiny discount is an offense rather than a good rate. I am - as a swiss citizen - deeply disappointed that our country still has these kind of players in the tourism industry. I am sorry and feel I have to apologize for such pricing. It is outrageous and not acceptable. With such hotels, I have no more optimism for our tourism industry. Notably, their complaining is also constant but I would strongly suggest revisiting the business and pricing model together with an adequate international product benchmark might help. The fact that people compare today might not interest them either. Maybe one day, when all these places are out of business, things will change. My advise to the dear reader of this review: stay away from this place. If it is full, take a taxi to St. Gallen. Might cost nearly the same but I don't think you'll be getting worse accommodation anyhwere else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RHW1974
hotel-heiden1, Manager at Hotel Heiden, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Dear Mr. and Mrs. RHW,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the shortcomings you experienced. We are very sorry that you were dissatisfied with significant aspects of your stay and sincerely apologise for this. Since we constantly strive to improve our quality, we are grateful for your feedback. We assure you that we have already implemented verifiable measures in response to your criticisms.

In terms of problems you experienced gaining acces to the hotel on the Saturday, we knew that the long-established annual market would be taking place on the acces road. We therefore informed you by e-mail 3 days before your arrival that you would only be able to acces the hotel on foot. However, I fully appreciate that this was not an agreeable experience in an evening gown.

I should like once more to express my apologies. Thanks not least to your criticisms and the measures we have implemented in response to these, we shall continue to be successful in and on the market.

Yours sincerely,
Caspar Lips, Hotel Manager
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Heiden is an Appenzeller hill town which was rebuilt in the Biedermeier style after the fire of 1838. Its white walls and red roofs seen against the Lake below are uniquely beautiful. The hotel's restaurant, lounge and northfacing rooms all have a panoramic view of a 25 mile stretch of this lake through windows that are always clean; the German 'Riviera' towns can be seen on the other side. The leafy terrace cafe is very popular especially when the cool pure evening air for which Heiden is famous takes over from summer heat. The staff are mainly Swiss, welltrained, effective and friendly; key staff speak English. The restaurants have a GaultMillau rating of 13, the half board menu changes every day. The spa facilities are modern and comprehensive; the 'thunder and lightning' shower is an amazing experience. St Gallen with its high quality fashion shops is halfanhour away on mountain roads by PostAuto: modern doubledeckers, four per hour, highly recommended: you don't have to drive or park and watching the scenery and the roads from the upper deck is very interesting...With the variety of walks in the hills around and the support from the transport system and backup from the hotel (even a free computer terminal in the lounge for Test Match scores), it is a great place to recharge your batteries. And when I compared the bill with the one I received from a similar English hotel in the countryside near a lake, I found that the Swiss bill is one third cheaper even with the Swiss franc at 1.60 to the £.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johannes21
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2010

This is a wellness hotel, and therefore has unusual features such as crutch holders adjacent to most tables. Lots of people getting around on crutches. They have daily exercise programs posted in the elevator. Clearly skews old. I suspect that there is a mineral bath somewhere around, although I didn't see it myself. That said, it has exceptional views of Lake Constance (German: Bondensee) from the rooms on that side of the hotel. There is no train service there, but they do have a trolley stop within 150 meters that ends up at a train station. As for the hotel, it's pretty rudimentary. No air conditioning, which is not surprising but nevertheless was a bother on the stifling hot days we were there. I didn't pay myself as I was a guest of my hosts, but I got the feeling it was pricey. In-room TV's but while there is no in-room internet, there is a computer with internet connection in the lobby. In short, not exceptionally good, but not bad either.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MacWilder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heiden
Hotel Schloss Wartegg
Schloss-Hotel Wartensee
Schloss-Hotel Wartensee
#3 of 3 in Rorschacherberg
Einstein St.Gallen Hotel Congress Spa

Been to Hotel Heiden? Share your experiences!