“New restaurant - a real find”
Review of The Red Room - CLOSED

The Red Room
Cuisines: Italian, British
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Our first visit and will definitely be going again. This is a very promising new-ish restaurant with friendly and likeable staff and an interesting and varied menu. All beautifully cooked, lovely fresh food. Beware however- the portions are huge and make sure you really hungry if you order a 12 inch pizza! One of the great things about the Red Room is that you can bring your own booze - all you need to do is pop down to the local store and buy a nice bottle of wine to enjoy with your meal.
Great value.

1  Thank macraeUK

Reviewed 5 September 2012

This is the second review I have submitted for the Red Room the first being 3 months ago not long after the restaurant opened. Having now sampled Neils menu 5 if not 6 times we have always had an excellent meal & service.
We have gone as a couple, with friends & once went as a table of 16 & even then all the starters & mains came out at the same time & were as superb as ever.
My huband has taken to the belly of pork, although he also loves the stifado, personally I have difficulty not having the monk fish & scallops but the chicken gorgonzola is also to die for, to be fair everything we have tasted has not disapointed.
I would highly recommend the restaurant to others, please Neil keep up the good work, its very good to see you so busy & the Red Room is an excellent addition to the Hatherleigh eating experience.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is a really nice place to come for a relaxing meal, portions are large - a bit too large maybe - and the food tastes nice and is clearly homemade. The downside... the type of food is more pub than bistro and could be more imaginative. We were also very surprised that the restaurant did corkage - it has a good wine list too - and this seemed to be being abused by locals!

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Have been twice now, make sure you are hungry because the portions are large. Staff are friendly and efficient. Thoroughly enjoyable experience, can't wait to go again

1  Thank Alison H
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Having checked the Trip Advisor reviews we decided to give The Red Room a go at short notice. The booking was taken in a very professional manner and when we arrived we were well received & served.

I had an interesting starter of Scallops served with black pudding, bacon and a wholegrain mustard sauce. Very nice albeit with a little too much sauce. My wife had the Calamari which 'in our opinion' was overcooked and subsequently a bit on the chewy side. Additionally the rocket salad was wilted in part probably due to being near a heat lamp.

For our mains; I had Confit of Duck served with a plum sauce, new potatoes and vegetables. The top piece of duck had nice crispy skin and was reasonably succulent. As I made my way through this, the second part of the duck portion was revealed which, in stark contrast was very much overdone. The skin was black all down one side (but positioned as not to see it initially) and was too tough to eat. My wife had the lamb special which was delicious.

As I had almost finished the meal before discovering the downside to the duck dish but offered mentioned my opinion to both the waitress who cleared the plates and the one at the front of house when paying. She kindly passed on our comments to the chef and returned with his response.

"the calamari was fresh in today" not really an excuse for overcooking the dish.
"confit is supposed to be dry; that's how it is served" I very much beg to differ and hiding the blackened part of the portion is inexcusable.

We were attempting to be constructive with our comments so that the chef could learn from our experience. The response can only be considered disappointing. Suffice it to say, we shall not be returning.

2  Thank Cozza_M