“wedding anniversary break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hatherleigh
brockley
“wedding anniversary break”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We used a deal to visit the George for the second time. It was every bit as good as our first visit. The room was comfortable, furnished to a high standard and was spotlessly clean. The restaurant serves what we would call good honest grub, well cooked, proper portions and at a very fair price. We would not hesitate to say......go there!!

Room Tip: they all seem to be good!
1 Thank kathy m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Had two nights here via Wowcher offer, lovely old style hotel and bar recently rebuilt spotless room with wet room shower,first class beds , great location, we did the trip to the Eden Project from here.Great food and exelent service all round

1 Thank Bazzabass
Smeeth Kent UK
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Having read previous reviews, some of which were very critical, we were a little apprehensive about booking. As it was situated in an area that we wanted to visit we decided to take a chance. We received a warm welcome, the room and bathroom were a good size, clean and comfortable. Breakfast on both days was hot and delicious. We did not eat dinner there - we had pre-booked other restaurants because of the reviews - but other guests were happy with their meals.

2 Thank clairefarmiloe
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was brought to the George by my boyfriend as a surprise for my birthday, due to the location being in Devon. What a lovely place! Warm and Welcoming. We chose to use the restaurant for dinner as it looked good, and it was fantastic, I am allergic to gluten and they were able to sort me out food without any hassle at all! Just let them know when you are ordering!
The food is very reasonably priced and great quality, and the rose wine there is fantastic!
The room was a good size and the bathroom was lovely with a large bath,
Breakfast in the morning was great, I had salmon and scrambled eggs whilst my other half opted for the full english!
I cannot fault this place, hence the excellent rating!

2 Thank Sophieisanonion
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The pub/hotel was completely rebuilt in 2010 and provides modern and comfortable rooms with good facilities. The food is very good, well priced, good portions and the service was excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing a quiet getaway.

3 Thank Stewart P
Italy
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked the George in Hatherleigh on a 2 night deal inc an evening meal for £129, absolute bargain. Was greeted at the door and shown to the room, small, but just right for us. Evening meal and breakfast, nothing to complain about, a few traditional beers on tap (tribute and directors). Not a lot to do or see in the town, but with a trip to Bude, Barnstable and Bideford, we were well away.

Will defiantly be back again!! And at the end of the day, for the price how could anyone dare to complain.
Keep up the good work!!

2 Thank hadital
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife booked The George on a KGB deal, and at the time it looked quite promising. The George advertises itself as a ‘Boutique Hotel’, and they were using the pictures for one of their rooms that comes with a free standing bath. This wasn’t included in the ‘deal’ however…
Unfortunately the reality was quite something other than the usual Boutique experience.

When we arrived we spoke to the barmaid, who spent a little time working out which room we were going to have. Once this was decided on, we were shown up to the room. The barmaid was very helpful but for some reason she seemed to be quite nervous. More on this later when I cover the finish of the room.

1. The menu says that they pride themselves on using locally sourced produce. Unfortunately the menu looked very generic, much the same as any Weatherspoon’s or Toby pub.

2. The idea of local produce clearly doesn’t extend to their bar. I asked what cider they had and was presented with Strongbow and something else… Both ciders offered were the pretty nasty and commercial fizzy kind, having little relation to the real thing. In a pub that presents itself as a thatched 15th Century village pub wouldn’t they have something local on tap, either cloudy or scrumpy? At least the Tally Ho across the road had the right idea, having cider produced in Winkleigh, which is about 5 miles away.

3. So the room: Dingy, mismatching furniture and very tired feeling. My wife booked this as a romantic getaway and we were to be quite honest, disgusted. I’ve taken a catalogue of pictures showing just how dirty the room was. Unfortunately uploading has put them out of sequence.

The room was so bad we asked to change. The barmaid (who never did say her name), said they only had the ‘disabled’ room available. She was brought up short over this by someone, who I assume was the landlord, even though he didn’t look at us or even attempt to introduce himself. I mean really? Two guests ask to change rooms and you don’t even bother to ask why?
The ‘not disabled’ room, is on the ground floor and was no better an offering. The room was even more dark and dismal. The tiled floor under the shower was displaying a lovely growth of black mould in the grout. Needless to say, we declined.

4. Check out was interesting. The barmaid – sorry still didn’t get your name, took our key, then checked on the till to see if we owed anything, which we didn't. I hung on to see if I’d get the usual ‘Did you enjoy your stay’? But it didn’t materialise, and that ½ minute of being stared at was just starting to get uncomfortable, so I thanked her and left.

It really is lucky I’m not a professional reviewer isn’t it? I mean can you imagine what I could say…? Thankfully, I always prefer to be fair and stick to the facts.

Other bedroom gripes:

• Poor internet connectivity, due to some useless cloud connection.
• Poor accessibility to electricity sockets – located behind the vanity unit and the bed.
• Very poor lighting - the location of the dressing table meant that my wife had to move the
mirror over to the window sill in order to be able to put her make up on.
• Cold - there were thermostats in the bedroom and bathroom but they could not be
adjusted.
• Serious issues with the cleanliness and general housekeeping of the room (see pictures
for further information).

The Verdict:
+ Situated very well, and central in the village. Hatherleigh is a lovely place, set in very picturesque countryside. The pub looks authentic, and is well finished in the public areas.
The bed was very comfortable (even though it was lacking a headboard), but my wife doesn’t agree and slept badly on both nights.
- The atmosphere in the bar wasn’t good. The rooms we saw were poorly finished and dismal. Having read the menu and other reviews, the food is probably not worth bothering with in the restaurant, unless you’re really nostalgic for the 1970s or you usually do your shopping in Iceland. There are good places to eat nearby though.
There were a lot of other negatives, but I’ll have to refer you to the photos and captions – the whole hotel experience was depressing and I can’t go over all of the annoying points anymore.

I really wouldn’t recommend staying here. Maybe you’d have a better experience when not using a deal, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Room Tip: Don't use any deals - The 'Boutique Rooms' aren't included.
4 Thank MrC1972
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatherleigh
The Oxenham Arms Hotel & Restaurant
Highbullen Hotel
Highbullen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chittlehamholt
Travelodge Okehampton Sourton Cross

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!