“Slight disappointment”
Review of La Rougeanne

La Rougeanne
Ranked #1 of 2 Moussoulens B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 September 2012

During a two week holiday in the Dordogne we decided to take a break and stay overnight near to Carcassonne which we had never visited. La Rougeanne is a charming Chambres d'hotes at Moussoulens which is in very interesting countryside 9 miles from Carcassonne. It is situated in wonderful mature walled gardens with a swimming pool. We booked an evening meal by the pool and the owner provided a vegetarian option for one of our group which is a real problem for anybody eating in France. I would recommend the hotel with some reservations and hopefully the owners will take these commence as constructive criticism and consider some revision to their process.

Arriving around midday we wanted to leave our luggage at the hotel. On pressing the entry phone and introducing ourselves the owner sounded somewhat underwhelmed and said that we could not have our rooms before 5pm. After some negotaiion the owner let us in and rather grumpily allowed us to leave our luggage. We absented ourselves until 5pm despite a real urge to use the pool. We returned at 5pm to be greeted by a rather more welcoming owner. This gave us a good 40 mins by the beautiful pool before the shade took over. At 7pm I visited the lounge and asked the owner for an aperitif but was told that this would be served at 8pm before supper. At 8pm we were called to a table to meet the other guests with whom we would be eating that evening. Whilst they were charming we would have preferred being asked if this was acceptable to us. There was no choice of an aperitif and we were served a rather poor local rose wine. There was an acceptable red wine served with a not very intesting meal. The owner'swife was away and had arranged for the meal to be prepared in advance and heated for us.

The rooms were very nice and it is a quiet setting. Madam returned at breakfast and provided an excellent breakfast and apologised for being absent.

France has a real problem providing customer service and this isn't the first place I have stayed where the owner was under the impression that he was providing a service for which we should be profoundly grateful and failed to show us any documentation stating th check-in was from 5pm.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Derek B

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed at La Rouganne for 3 nights, with our two children aged 10 and 12 years. It is a stunning property, with beautiful pool. The accommodation is very spacious and the beds are comfortable. Monique and Paul offer all kinds of help and advice for visits around the area and are very thoughtful about what might suit specific guests, including making a special "children's meal" for our kids and recommending where we should visit and so on. We felt really well looked after and we met some very interesting and lovely people while we were staying. You won't regret coming to La Rouganne.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HappyH46
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I was part of a yoga retreat held at La Rougeanne. Our yoga instructor picked this amazing spot with amazing hosts, Monique and Paul. I have not had the combination of fresh food and fresh air like this since I was a little girl. I still long Monique home made food and ambience. The accommodations were clean and quite. This was more than just fun but a healing experience to me. I have been having some health issues for a while and I came back home a new healthy person with a new desire to reassess my priorities in life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

lovely rooms , very attentive madame and her husband so well looked after.

Its 30 minutes for a visit to Carcassone (wonderful old city).

Its a touch out of the way and isolated so you have a choice of Madame's cooking which is ok but not wonderful with vin ordinaire and sitting next to other guests who may or not speak your language or who may or may not (which is worse ?) want to sit next to you -same at breakfast.
there is quite a drive to a restaurant so would recommend 2-3 days only

Room Tip: room on first floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spencer49
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I brought a group of yoga students to La Rougeanne with me for a weeklong yoga retreat and Monique and Paul were AMAZING at taking care of us. The food was absolutely amazing, the rooms were beautiful and comfortable. Everybody in my group was happy with the experience. I would highly recommend La Rougeanne to anyone wanting an authentic Southern France experience. I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Erica B
Reviewed 6 October 2011

When we pulled away from La Rougeanne to head for the airport, all I could think is, "I can't wait to come back..." The location is fantantic with breath-taking views, and the grounds and house are so beautiful. This is THE French country. Monique is a fantastic chef. Everything she presented on our table looked amazing, and tasted even better! It was hard to stop "mmmm-ing" our approval of every bite. Fresh fruit, juices, home-made jams (5 kinds!), quiches, cakes, fresh salads, croissants, yogurt, and of course the cheese and wine!
Her and Paul-Andre are MOST attentive hosts... Monique knew what we were thinking before we asked for it. Bed was SO comfy, bathrooms A+, decor excellent, and spotless! Thank you!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Olivier, which is a huge room, but our friends stayed in 3 other rooms, all of whic...
1  Thank Finnegan101
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My husband and I spent three nights here on our way back from the south. As usual we had the most wonderful time, staying this time for three nights instead of overnight. Everything about La Rougeanne to us is "parfait" The welcome, being given the option of all sorts of drink and biscuits on arrival, having travelled for some hours it was most appreciated, beautiful clean, shiny room, wonderful evening meals in great company. We felt very relaxed and refreshed when we came to leave, many thanks Monique and thanks to your very quiet husband who does wonders in the background, we noticed!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ashlawn

Been to La Rougeanne? Share your experiences!