“Genuine Indonesian hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Lagoi
Singapore
“Genuine Indonesian hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My company held an event here and we used Bintan Lagoon as our accommodation. Which was absolutely amazing the moment I stepped into the resort. From the welcome dance to our check in to spacious twin rooms, I knew that our stay here was going to be special. With most of our days spent in the meeting rooms which were well equipped with the necessary facilities including projecter and refreshment, I was not able to spend time to enjoy the rest of the facilities. I did however managed sneak in an hour or so at one of the many swimming pools around, which was fantastic. Towels are offered and with guests spread out among the swimming pools, it is not as noisy and you get to experience that tranquil feel that resorts typically market thenselves to be:)

Food was provided in terms of buffet for all my meals and boy have they outdone themselves. Three to four appetisers with soup and an assortment of bread set the tone to what the resort has to offer on a daily basis for its main courses. And you can expect a high standard of food as well. As my colleagues and I were discussing about work, the staff came in to collect our plates and top up our drinks without disturbing us. All with a cheerful smile.

Which brings us to the last point. Service was impeccable from the start. While not perfect, everywhere I went, I was greeted with smiles. Genuine ones too. Of course, it hells that you smile back as well:) When I asked for a replacement lamp in my room, it was quickly resolved by next morning. Entering and leaving the restaurants, we were always greeted by the staff. It was definitely nice to be taken care by a group of people who are loving them jobs.

All in all, it was a memorable experience with our group being delighted with our stay. As a big group, we could be rather noisy but the facilities and staff accommodated us well. I would recommend this place for all to enjoy. Thank you for making a beach resort stay a memorable one once again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank tripp3r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We often go to this place so recently this July we went here with my family. Last time was last 2 or 3 years ago. Everything is still the same but this time better coz they have their own ferry terminal that will stop in front of the resort.

everything here is in SGD so be prepared to pay high. overall its good from beach, service etc.
they even gave me fruits and slice cake on my birthday but i'm hoping for an upgrade =)

we also tried the archery...which is very cool and additional freebie if you sign up with mosaic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank alexme18
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

My partner and I went to this place with no expectations. We booked the hotel online and received a warm welcome note from Imma Kartika and Jonny, WeCARE concierge.

We took Mozaic ferry which stops directly at Bintan Lagoon Resort. Our departure time was at 0930 from Singapore but it was delayed by half an hour. Returned ferry was by Bintan Resort Ferries (brf). Personally I think the journey by brf is better.

We checked-in and immediately shown to our ‘special’ room - room 4003. It was a long walk to and from lobby but it does not matter to us. The view was simply breathtaking. We had three angle views - the Jack Nicklaus golf course (Hole 11), the sea and the forest views. We could hear the sounds of insects and birds chirping all day long. We couldn’t get enough of the views and enjoyed sitting at the balcony with glasses of wine.

On Saturday evening we had dinner at Orzo and went to the Silk bar. We played snooker and enjoyed the live music. The groups were great fun and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely.

The next morning, we played golf at Jack Nicklaus course. It was a beautiful course and great new experiences for me. BUT if we return, we shall take our own golf clubs and make sure we bring all the supplies; collar tees, towels, caps, balls, gloves. It was super~super~super expensive to rent or purchase it over there!

Dinner was at Rice, a restaurant overlooking the South China Sea. It was amazing, our table was decorated with ribbons.

Imma and Jonny absolutely made our trip a memorable one. Our room was decorated with petals of flowers. And we truly enjoyed the chats and laughter with them. Our entire stay at Bintan Lagoon Resort was so relaxing, enjoyable and rejuvenating. All staff was friendly and welcoming. I believe if we have great company, nothing else matters.

Our special thanks, hugs and love to Imma and Jonny (weCARE@bintanlagoon.com).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank InLadySg
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

The place was huge, had a room with 2 beds and a balcony overlooking the greenery area,pool and some sea view..the pools were great they had 2 huge pools, the beach was alright, quite nice powdery sand didn't see anyone swimming...room was nice cleaned. Not too many restaurants to eat at so we ordered room service in the hotel or other than that we had a really nice and relaxing stay. Great hotel grounds and nice beach to have a walk.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank natalie623
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I had stayed in Bintan Lagoon Resort about 4yrs back and loved the place - at that point, it was a beautiful property with a clean, beautiful beach with shallow, clean water and where you could go for long walks and look for seashells and crabs. And so, I wanted my kids to experience the same and so we took them this weekend to Bintan Lagoon Resort.

However, my experience this time was extremely disappointing to say the least.
We had booked a sea facing room and when we arrived we were sent off to the very last room (4103) on the East wing that was really, really far from the lobby. And it didn't have any view of the sea! When I called and complained, I was told that sea facing doesn't necessarily mean a sea view! I mentioned that they should have specified this specifically in their website then, especially since they charge a premium for the view.

At this point, I was asked to come down to the lobby and was told someone would take me to show me some other rooms. We reached the lobby, only to have the lady at the reception hand me 2 room numbers and a key. She asked me to go check the rooms on my own and come back and tell them what I liked. Normally a person from reception always accompanies you but I guess in Bintan Lagoon resort, the staff have better things to do with their time! Anyway we did find a sea facing room with a sea view that was available. But what I failed to understand is if it was available in the first place, why not assign it instead of waiting for guests to complain?

The hotel has obviously seen better days and is badly in need of refurbishing. The lifts especially in the East wing are musty and smell of damp, the mirrors in the toilets in the kids recreation area badly need replacing and the futons in the room are old and worn out!

You also discover that you have to end up paying for almost everything including water. Even though we were paying for 2 adults and 2 kids, we got just 2 tiny bottles of water and when we asked for more, we were told, it is chargeable!

Apart from this, the service at this hotel was atrocious!
I had to call and ask for something as small and inconsequential as toilet paper because the staff would forget to put it while cleaning the room!!! When we placed an order at the Orzo (italian) restaurant, I asked for a pasta with a plain cream sauce for my kids and clearly stated I didn't want seafood sauce, and yet, I invariably ended up getting seafood sauce! One of my sons cut himself on the beach and I bought Betadine ointment from the hotel shop only to discover, it was more than a year over its expiration date!!! And yes, the breakfast fare is one of the worst I have seen, in terms of variety or lack of it!

But more than all this, what I found most disappointing was how they have destroyed the charm and beauty of this place in the name of development! A portion of the beach is blocked because they have built a dock for the ferry that comes directly to the hotel. Instead of a long stretch of beach, you see a long stretch of a cement wall! A lot of trees are gone and the beach is no longer as clean. Jetskis have replaced little boats lying on the beach and you cannot go for long walks as the walks are now sealed off because of construction! The relaxed, green, natural feel of the place is lost completely. I am going to share some pictures that I took 4years back of the same place just to show how beautiful and unspoilt it used to look once upon a time!

Needless to say, I am never going back to this place again!

Room Tip: If you are paying for a sea facing room, please be aware that sea facing doesn't necessarily mea...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Moushumi_24

Travellers are raving about these Lagoi hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was at Bintan Lagoon Resort with my friend on 31 Dec 2011 - 2 Jan 2012 New year holidays.
Good things first - Very clean, beautiful rooms and the ambiance including the breakfast and the restaurants around was peaceful. It is a very spacious hotel specially the lobby. We had a good bike ride all afternoon with the visit to the beach and the lunches to the restaurants within premises. The swimming pool is nice and the service was okay. The best thing is they have carts for the guests with drivers all the time inside the premises to pick and drop you anywhere you want within the premises free of charge. Everything in this hotel is dealt with singaporean dollars so don't take effort to bring any idr along.

Now not so good things - The beach on the other hand is average and they won't allow you to be there after 6 pm. If i could take something back i wish not to have gone there on New year's time which made the Gala dinner mandatory to have since they charge you with the stay in that period. The dinner was a buffet with a lot of variety but we paid thrice the amount we pay for a good dinner. The alcoholic drinks were not included in the cost which we had to buy at a steal price. The bar is usually dead.

In a nutshell, it's a paradise if you wanna get away from the city for some peace or if you are a golf lover. We had good time there but if we get to be back i prefer to go on dates with no festivities around.

Room Tip: Try to choose rooms with view towards the swimming pool or beach, though our room had a jungle kinda...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had three nights in a standard room and it was bog standard at that. Given that the hotel seemed close to empty - my guess is that the occupancy rate was 10%, you'd think they'd oblige by giving you a half decent room. Nope, they gave us a shiny view of the driveway. We asked for something better but no, not possible, unless we wanted to fork out even more.
As other reviewers can attest, NOTHING is free except the pool ( the only redeeming feature - more on that shortly) and a walk on the beach. Note, first 150m of beach is pristine, then it becomes a rubbish tip of old cans, bottles, fishnets broken furniture, toilet paper etc. you'd think withe all the cash they extract from you they'd pay someone to clean it up.
Food menu is okay but the options are limited and pricier than Tokyo, Sydney, Singapore et al. $25 for a nasi goring? Give me a break. $12 for the small bottle of Evan in your room's mini bar?
Unless you have big bucks to splash around, you're basically stuck. A one way taxi fare to a real village is about $50 so forget trying to save on food. Want to take a walk? They won't let you walk the sealed paths beside the golf course fairways even though nobody was around except for. Security man on a quad bike.
It's also the bastion of unethical labour laws. It's a designated "special economic zone" in which union activity is unlawful. It's a closed shop as far as workplace rights go ( I'd guess they don't pay their staff that well) and to get the picture that its a mini police state, the uniformed goons at the boom gate actually salute the bus driver when you transit through onto the property!
The place is rules rules rules. No swimming after 6pm. Pool closed, sorry sir. That's a pity because finally at 6pm they stopped blasting their heavy metal music at the poolside bar which made a relaxing sun bed book read less than relaxing.
Honestly, if you need a short break from Singapore, do the maths. I wish we had. You'll find that Langkawi or perhentian or Phuket much better, far more interesting and cheaper, even after paying the airfares. The ferry over to Bintan isn't cheap and it takes the same time as a flight to Langkawi.

Room Tip: Don't go!!! If you want a good room and value for money, go elsewhere in the region
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Deeno70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
The Sanchaya
The Sanchaya
#1 of 4 in Lagoi
Village Resort Grand Lagoi Bintan by Far East Hospitality

Been to Bintan Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!