“Great golf course but boring restaurants”

Bintan Lagoon Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Lagoi
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Loved the direct ferry service - saved time in travelling and the hassle. Best of all loved the golf course but it would be great if the walkway from clubhouse to the hotel is covered! When it rained had to wait for buggy and it was a hassle having to look for drivers. Food at the golf coffeehouse is lousy and there is not much variety. Food at the coffeehouse is so so. Need improvement on the f&b side. Was abit disappointed. Massage at the beach was expensive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Mozaic H, Asst. Guest Relation Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Acer98,

Thank you for taking the time to gave us the comments, with our own ferry terminal it's make a comfortable journey for our lovely guests and just only 75 minutes from Singapore TMFT terminal .

Bintan Lagoon Resort have two beautiful golf course with a profesional design course by Ian baker finch and Jack nicklaus.

we do apologize for the troublesome and delay in pick-up when it rains but your suggestions will be considered

we really appreciated of your feedback in regards of food in our haskell cafe and kopi-o restaurant. now chef team do their best to improve food quality as expected by guest. we do have a signature restaurant called RICE it's recommended to all our inhouse guest

Massage from outside vendor,we do hope will work with a better price list for future business.

We look forward to welcome back you agin to our resort,

Best Regards,
Lenny
Asst. Guest Relation Manager.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Bintan Lagoon Resort 6 years ago and thought no need to check.
Wow have things changed. The Resort is OK. Needs some maintenance here and there but generally OK.
Main complaint as others have found is the food in the Restaurants. With nowhere else to eat other than the Resort Restaurants you are forced to pay ridiculous prices for sub standard food.
The Rice restaurant has a magic position on the beach. I ordered fish which was cold due to a frozen centre. My wife ordered steak which was so tough she could east it. Sent both back. Came back with cold vegetables.
Next day lunch by the pool was inedible.
Can't believe the Management read the reviews or they surely would do something about the food in the restaurants.
We should have known things were deteriating when we were pick up in a dilapidated old Resort bus at the Ferry wharf.
Staff are very friendly and trying their best but let down by the management.

Room Tip: Room facing the pool or ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ClontarfPorky76
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We were staying at Buganvil Villa for the period of 26Jul-28Jul. The previous stay at Bintan Lagoon are enjoyable.Therefore,I decided to spend celebrate my birthday in Bintan Lagoon as I could enjoyed the travel agent rate through my company.

Upon reaching, we were greeted and served with a glass of welcome drink. We were facing some problem during the check in as the guest relation officer could not retrieve our booking. The guest relation officer looked rather impatient and questioned me that why didnt I bring along the confimation slip. I told her that I had book through my company and even handed her the name card but she still couldn't find the booking. To my dismayed, she start to raise her voice at me and I got angry so I sort of told her off and luckily she realized that I am angry so she start to lower down her voice. Finally I suggest to her to check under my name and she managed to find my booking together with another 02 deluxe plusroom. She continue to demand us for the passport for the 02 deluxe plus despite our explaination. We have kept repeating then she finally understand what we are trying to say.As my manager and my colleagues they are bringing along their kids they choose to opt for the express immigration clearance. They had waited for half an hour at the lobby but yet to get back their passport.

Before my manager check in her room she went to the tour counter located in the lobby next to journeyful counter to book for optional tour. She have book for the elephant show + rides tour as well as the mangroves fireflies tour and after that she return to her room and realized that twin room were given despite we had requested for king room. As travel agent we understand that room bed type is subject to availability.

27 Jul morning it were raining heavily as we were having our breakfast at the kopi O restaurant. A night had gone and my manager had yet to received back her passport together with 3 other passport. She went to the counter to ask and again were rudely told off by the counter staff that she should have collected it by yesterday. She did informed the front desk to give her a call once her passport is ready for collection. Luckily, my descision is correct I rather queue up the long queue rather than opt for the express immigration clearance which is not so reliable and safe. Anyway, it is personal point of view with no obligation. My manager were informed that the elephant show is cancelled due to the stormy weather. She were told if she want they could arrange it for the afternoon session which my manager agreed on it. However, around 2.30pm my manager went to the counter to ask for the shuttle bus to send her and her kids to the elephant park were told that there were no booking for her and if she want they could arrange for a taxi pick up which cost sgd 40 bucks. My manager had agreed on it cos the kids is really looking forward to the elephant park. However, upon reaching they have realized that the elephant park is closed they don't allowed anymore guest in. The kids nearly broke down in tears and sadly they have to return back to the resort. Question in mind if the staff know that the elephant park are already closed for the day why do the still offered to hire a taxi and send them over to the park and they have to waste Sgd 40 bucks for nothing.

Next we have book our seafood dinner at Kelong through the resort it is meant for my birthday celebration. I'm craving for lobster ended up we were send to the wrong one. The menu at there were kind of limited. As my brother is a Vegetarian, we had ordered a plate of fried rice with egg only I'm not sure why the person have to include hot dog in the fried rice ended up we have to waste money to reorder another plate of rice for him. Everyone is unhappy about the dinner as we really looked forward toward having our diner at Kelong. I regretted for not booking the Kelong at Nirwana Gardens. We were send and transfer back to the resort by the same 7-Seaters car. We were shocked when the driver asked us to pay for the transportation money SGD 22 bucks. When initially we have book for the kelong no one had told us about the transportation charges. We felt that this is really too much like they are out to cheat us.We had requested for the service but were not being given but yet we are forced to pay for it. FYI, the previous time I went for the Kampong Kelong in Mangroves upon spending of SGD 80 bucks the restuarant will provide us with free transportation back to the resort. This time round we were send to the wrong one can't remember the name of it the last word is cottage. That night we had spend more than SGD 150 bucks yet we still have to spend extra charges for the transportation which is really ridiculous.

We had spoken to the duty manager, Raymond. We got back the refund of SGD 40 bucks on the day we check out. For this we like to express our gratitude toward his help.

Buganvil Villa is good but quite worn off need some renovation. Food is considered expensive in the resort. BBQ item for the villa is too pricey. A loaf of bread cost Sgd 9.00 including taxes for 14 slices of bread.

Overall the stay at Bintan Lagoon is quite okay. Personal point of view they have to buck up on their customer service. Tour counter at the resort lobby not sure if it is under the resort management, anyway they need to be more responsible in handling the booking any additional charges have to be brief to the customer before they engaged the service. I hope the next time I visit Bintan Lagoon in Oct I will have a much more enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Xiiaohulu
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We wanted a quick get-away at a beach resort, so we settled for Bintan Lagoon Resort. Beach is quite nice, not fantastic though like Bali's. It was very crowded on the Saturday we were there. Friday was much better with less crowds. Food is lousy and very expensive. Considering the price we have to pay, I thought the food could have been better.

Service is slow, nothing to shout about. I wanted to get an ice cream for my daughter at the lobby snack bar. The ice cream chiller was locked and I requested the waitress to open it. However, she was busy with the customers, and ignored me even when I asked her again. I waited for close to 10 minutes and finally gave up. Most of the service staff in the restaurants don't have smiles on their faces. In fact, they don't look happy at all!

Rooms are tired looking, too dim and have a mouldy smell. After looking around for the mould, I found the toilet ceiling covered with big patches of mould. I wanted to change room but decided against the hassle as it was only for 2 nights. With the service that I was getting, I didn't think the staff would be forthcoming in giving me a change of room anyway.

All in all, not worth the money. I won't be coming back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank joannang88
Reviewed 29 July 2014

One of my family most enjoyable resort experience in Bintan.

Love the direct ferry service to the resort, saving the time and hassle of travelling.

Lovely beach, except for jellyfish, but that doesn't stop us from snorkelling for hours in the clear water. Lovely staff, always service with a smile. Pretty expensive transport and food, but no short of options. Good quality food from Italian and Japanese restaurant. The cafe where we had breakfast, you can give that a miss for their lunch and dinner buffet. Way overpriced and poor quality. The Rice cafe by the beach front is our best food experience in terms of excellent service. Not a great variety, but more worth it than the terrible food at the cafe.

Our 8 year old loves the kids club and the beach. We enjoyed the sea sports but not the price...

Overall, we will give it a 4 stars, as we will definitely re-visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear MLim,

Thank you for your comments on the resort, and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and used many of our facilities including the kids club and kids pool area.

We are constantly looking to improve the resort and welcome your comments and I will share them with the team who work so hard to provide an enjoyable stay to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

If you stay in this hotel, it's impossible to go out and find food outside. So you have to eat inside the hotel. All of the food is very expensive, its about $50 per person. And the food is not good also not higenic. When I had a breakfast there is fly everywhere on the food and some food is already moldy/can't be eat.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank William G
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear William G,

Thank you for your review and comments from your recent stay.

The Lagoi Area and Bintan Island has a selection of restaurants outside the hotel, and in other properties with in the area, I am sorry our concierge department was unable to recommend any to you.

On property we have a selection of restaurants, Haskell's Café located in the Golf Club house offers meals western, Indonesian and Indian from 10 SGD and is proving very popular due to its view over the golf course and is open until 2100 hours daily.

I do hope that you will be able to come back in the near future and visit the resort.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Like many others, I spent a weekend at Bintan Lagoon with my wife and two kids as a quick and easy getaway from Singapore. The location is beautiful, the staff were friendly and accommodating, and at one time the facilities must have been very nice. Our 4-year old son enjoyed the kids club, and both kids enjoyed both the pools and the beach (despite the jellyfish which prevented swimming there).

Unfortunately the owners seem to have deliberately let the place fall into disrepair, and to have cut every possible corner to minimize costs. Our room was fine (about what we expected -- clean and basic though a bit dark) until the air conditioning unit started to leak. Even after several visits by the maintenance staff, they weren't able to resolve it -- even turning it off didn't help (and the thermostat also seemed broken). There was also a foul smell by the family pool on both afternoons, apparently due to the septic system overflowing because of the rain.

We found the breakfast buffet quite adequate (again, consistent with our modest expectations), but the food at the various poolside bars / cafes was nearly inedible, including basics like pizza and fish & chips, and most of the children's menu (e.g., the spaghetti bolognese: basically dry pasta with a few spoonfuls of dry ground beef on top). The Indonesian food over at the golf course was better, as was the Indian food on the room service menu.

All of this is fairly consistent with other reviews we've read and people we've talked to over the years, which is one reason we've avoided Bintan at all until now (we finally decided we might as well see for ourselves). We did have a nice time, but we certainly won't be coming back. That's probably just fine with the management -- I couldn't blame them for preferring to target discount tour groups who probably complain a lot less than Singapore expats.

One other thing to note: we came on the "Fun N Stay" package, which included a 10% discount on F&B items. This required presenting a voucher for each and every transaction, which invariably took extra time to process. Of course this inconvenience is deliberate -- they could just as easily discount the F&B items at checkout. And in fact I was able to obtain a discount on a couple of meals where we'd forgotten the voucher or decided not to bother (but only after about 20 minutes of discussion with the front desk). I would suggest either to make it easy and do away with the vouchers, or don't bother -- the current system just wastes time and annoys guests.

(BTW, I wasn't planning to submit a review at all, but the resort sent an email asking for one. I hope it's helpful!)

Room Tip: Stay in a villa -- they're newer, so presumably fewer maintenance issues. And with your own kitc...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jason W
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Mr Jason W,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the comments on your recent stay, as protocol my team and I do read all trip advisor comments, thank you for your posting, this Is most helpful.

Thank you for commenting on how helpful and friendly my team are during your stay, I will share this with the team, and that you enjoyed the kids club and activities in this pool.

With regards the jelly fish, unfortunately my water sport team did not remove the signs which were erected during the period when jelly fish were present, this is seasonally abnormal, but occasionally does happen. I have discussed with my sea sports team the points you mentioned in the comment.

I have re launched all our menus in the property and continue to tweak them in the coming weeks, I welcome your comments and assure you we are improving the menus in all our outlets and bars across the property which are currently being well received.

Having been in the position for three months, I assure you my team and I are paying attention to all up keep issues on property and have commenced a detailed review of our entire property to address issues on site.

On the Fun and Stay package discount on F&B I am addressing this with my property management system so that this rate is built into the system for all to see across property to avoid the issues which you experienced.

I apologise that your experience was not what you would expect and assure you that my team and I are working to address issues on property to ensure that all out guests leave satisfied and look forward to return.

If you wish to return to Bintan Lagoon resort please contact me personally through the hotel and I would look forward to welcoming you back personally.

David A. Hill

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
#1 of 8 in Lagoi
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
#6 of 37 in Bintan Island

Been to Bintan Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!