“Honeymoon in Paradise”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lagoi
Toronto, Canada
“Honeymoon in Paradise”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My Husband and I stayed at Bintan Lagoo Resort from April 23, 2014 to May 1, 2014.

I have given this resort a rating of "Very Good" due to our over all experience, the cleanliness of the beach and the pools, the quality of food and the amazing service we got from the staff, especially the staff at the main pool bar.

However, if I was to rate the rooms and amenities I would give it more of a Poor-Average. The rooms are fairly old. I had stayed here previously in 2010 and I found that in the last 4 years the rooms have really fallen into disrepair. The furniture, paint and floors are in need of upgrade. The odd thing we found was that our bathroom didn't have a real "door", more like a sliding wooden blind through which you could peer into the bathroom clearly. Nonetheless, the rooms were clean and the staff was on top of keeping them clean throughout the day.

We stayed in one of the floral suits which are the best accommodation available on the resort. Our suite was fairly large and we had a jacuzzis and a spacious private balcony that faced the ocean.

The beach itself was white sand and very clean, a couple of times we got coconuts picked from the palm trees. You have to get to the beach early to get a good spot, but as we were there from Canada and on a 12 hour jet-lag, waking up early was definitely not a problem.

When you book your room you can add on the morning breakfast buffet to your room package or you can pay for it daily. I highly recommend that you get the breakfast buffet on your room. There is a great selection and variety of food, everything is made fresh and tastes amazing. The perfect way to start your days.

My husband and I especially enjoyed lounging pool side. The staff at the pool bar truly made our stay memorable. They did everything possible to make us comfortable. Although the pool bar has its own "bar fare" menu, once we explained that we really wanted to try the local cuisine they were happy to bring us food from the main kitchen on the resort that prepares a variety of local and pan-asian dishes.

Throughout the day we were able to access internet by hanging around the lobby. This is was a great way for us to get in touch with family at home but we didn't feel that we needed more regular internet connection. If you do love your internet, you can get an internet package from the "business centre" (above the main reception desk).

An important thing to note is that food is very EXPENSIVE on this resort and from what I hear on this whole island. Over the 8 nights that we were there we spent about $2500 CAD on food and drinks alone for just 2 people! This did not even include the breakfast buffet that we had gotten on our room!

In terms of excursions, we went on a tour of the town that included dinner at a sea-food restaurant. It was a wonderful afternoon get-away.

Overall our experience was wonderful and relaxing. Staff were kind and helpful, weather was great, and the beach was beautiful.

****One thing I would certainly warn you about is the number of Rent-a-girlfriend/boyfriend-for-a-weekend couples you come across, and I suppose too PDA is just part of that type of arrangement. From what I understand however, this is a problem you will encounter at all the resorts in Bin Tan as the Island makes for a quick getaway from Singapore where you find a lot of ex-pats. If running into these type of "couples" makes you uncomfortable then I would suggest not visiting Bin Tan at all. But at the end of the day a "live and let live" attitude is the best way to go about it.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Man D
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you found the resort relaxing and our staff attentive to your needs, I will share your comments with the team, as they appreciative your comments of how they provided great levels of service during your stay.

Your comments on the operations issues have been shared with my team so we may continue to improve our service.

David A. Hill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just spending 2 night 3 day stayed in bintan lagoon resort, a huge resort with private ferry terminal and 2 big swimming pool, beside that the beach very clean and beautiful. food are good and the price bit high. over all staffs are friendly and nice

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in the resort and you enjoyed the beach and our large pools, the Ferry direct service is very convenient I will share your comments with my staff concerning your appreciation of their service, they will be most pleased.

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Beach is great and clean in front of the resort. Elsewhere not. Ferry service super convenient and resort is good enough... Unfortunately just that. Food is only passable and incredibly expensive for what it is and taking into account that you are in Indonesia. Drinks are way too expensive.

Rooms are dated and in dire need of up do. Our room had mould smell and rust marks in the bathroom. I am allergic to dust mice and after two nights I was covered in pimples.

In short, we loved the beach but not the resort. The rice restaurant is the best of the resort but you still end up overpaying.

We will return to Bintan. Probably not to the Lagoon.

Alcohol costs the same as is Singapore.

Clearly focused in getting tourists from Singapore. It is nice and the staff tries hard, but definitely not a 5 star.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tuxa21
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Tuxda21,

Thank you for your comments I will share with my team your feedback, as we are moving through soft renovation of our public space and guest rooms, thank you for your comments concerning the staff efforts to make your stay more enjoyable. I am working with my team to improve the resort and service and please do let me know when you are coming back to the island, it would be my pleasure to welcome you back so that you can see the changes we are making.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Loved the direct ferry service - saved time in travelling and the hassle. Best of all loved the golf course but it would be great if the walkway from clubhouse to the hotel is covered! When it rained had to wait for buggy and it was a hassle having to look for drivers. Food at the golf coffeehouse is lousy and there is not much variety. Food at the coffeehouse is so so. Need improvement on the f&b side. Was abit disappointed. Massage at the beach was expensive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mozaic H, Asst. Guest Relation Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Acer98,

Thank you for taking the time to gave us the comments, with our own ferry terminal it's make a comfortable journey for our lovely guests and just only 75 minutes from Singapore TMFT terminal .

Bintan Lagoon Resort have two beautiful golf course with a profesional design course by Ian baker finch and Jack nicklaus.

we do apologize for the troublesome and delay in pick-up when it rains but your suggestions will be considered

we really appreciated of your feedback in regards of food in our haskell cafe and kopi-o restaurant. now chef team do their best to improve food quality as expected by guest. we do have a signature restaurant called RICE it's recommended to all our inhouse guest

Massage from outside vendor,we do hope will work with a better price list for future business.

We look forward to welcome back you agin to our resort,

Best Regards,
Lenny
Asst. Guest Relation Manager.
Clontarf
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Bintan Lagoon Resort 6 years ago and thought no need to check.
Wow have things changed. The Resort is OK. Needs some maintenance here and there but generally OK.
Main complaint as others have found is the food in the Restaurants. With nowhere else to eat other than the Resort Restaurants you are forced to pay ridiculous prices for sub standard food.
The Rice restaurant has a magic position on the beach. I ordered fish which was cold due to a frozen centre. My wife ordered steak which was so tough she could east it. Sent both back. Came back with cold vegetables.
Next day lunch by the pool was inedible.
Can't believe the Management read the reviews or they surely would do something about the food in the restaurants.
We should have known things were deteriating when we were pick up in a dilapidated old Resort bus at the Ferry wharf.
Staff are very friendly and trying their best but let down by the management.

Room Tip: Room facing the pool or ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ClontarfPorky76

Travellers are raving about these Lagoi hotels

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We were staying at Buganvil Villa for the period of 26Jul-28Jul. The previous stay at Bintan Lagoon are enjoyable.Therefore,I decided to spend celebrate my birthday in Bintan Lagoon as I could enjoyed the travel agent rate through my company.

Upon reaching, we were greeted and served with a glass of welcome drink. We were facing some problem during the check in as the guest relation officer could not retrieve our booking. The guest relation officer looked rather impatient and questioned me that why didnt I bring along the confimation slip. I told her that I had book through my company and even handed her the name card but she still couldn't find the booking. To my dismayed, she start to raise her voice at me and I got angry so I sort of told her off and luckily she realized that I am angry so she start to lower down her voice. Finally I suggest to her to check under my name and she managed to find my booking together with another 02 deluxe plusroom. She continue to demand us for the passport for the 02 deluxe plus despite our explaination. We have kept repeating then she finally understand what we are trying to say.As my manager and my colleagues they are bringing along their kids they choose to opt for the express immigration clearance. They had waited for half an hour at the lobby but yet to get back their passport.

Before my manager check in her room she went to the tour counter located in the lobby next to journeyful counter to book for optional tour. She have book for the elephant show + rides tour as well as the mangroves fireflies tour and after that she return to her room and realized that twin room were given despite we had requested for king room. As travel agent we understand that room bed type is subject to availability.

27 Jul morning it were raining heavily as we were having our breakfast at the kopi O restaurant. A night had gone and my manager had yet to received back her passport together with 3 other passport. She went to the counter to ask and again were rudely told off by the counter staff that she should have collected it by yesterday. She did informed the front desk to give her a call once her passport is ready for collection. Luckily, my descision is correct I rather queue up the long queue rather than opt for the express immigration clearance which is not so reliable and safe. Anyway, it is personal point of view with no obligation. My manager were informed that the elephant show is cancelled due to the stormy weather. She were told if she want they could arrange it for the afternoon session which my manager agreed on it. However, around 2.30pm my manager went to the counter to ask for the shuttle bus to send her and her kids to the elephant park were told that there were no booking for her and if she want they could arrange for a taxi pick up which cost sgd 40 bucks. My manager had agreed on it cos the kids is really looking forward to the elephant park. However, upon reaching they have realized that the elephant park is closed they don't allowed anymore guest in. The kids nearly broke down in tears and sadly they have to return back to the resort. Question in mind if the staff know that the elephant park are already closed for the day why do the still offered to hire a taxi and send them over to the park and they have to waste Sgd 40 bucks for nothing.

Next we have book our seafood dinner at Kelong through the resort it is meant for my birthday celebration. I'm craving for lobster ended up we were send to the wrong one. The menu at there were kind of limited. As my brother is a Vegetarian, we had ordered a plate of fried rice with egg only I'm not sure why the person have to include hot dog in the fried rice ended up we have to waste money to reorder another plate of rice for him. Everyone is unhappy about the dinner as we really looked forward toward having our diner at Kelong. I regretted for not booking the Kelong at Nirwana Gardens. We were send and transfer back to the resort by the same 7-Seaters car. We were shocked when the driver asked us to pay for the transportation money SGD 22 bucks. When initially we have book for the kelong no one had told us about the transportation charges. We felt that this is really too much like they are out to cheat us.We had requested for the service but were not being given but yet we are forced to pay for it. FYI, the previous time I went for the Kampong Kelong in Mangroves upon spending of SGD 80 bucks the restuarant will provide us with free transportation back to the resort. This time round we were send to the wrong one can't remember the name of it the last word is cottage. That night we had spend more than SGD 150 bucks yet we still have to spend extra charges for the transportation which is really ridiculous.

We had spoken to the duty manager, Raymond. We got back the refund of SGD 40 bucks on the day we check out. For this we like to express our gratitude toward his help.

Buganvil Villa is good but quite worn off need some renovation. Food is considered expensive in the resort. BBQ item for the villa is too pricey. A loaf of bread cost Sgd 9.00 including taxes for 14 slices of bread.

Overall the stay at Bintan Lagoon is quite okay. Personal point of view they have to buck up on their customer service. Tour counter at the resort lobby not sure if it is under the resort management, anyway they need to be more responsible in handling the booking any additional charges have to be brief to the customer before they engaged the service. I hope the next time I visit Bintan Lagoon in Oct I will have a much more enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Xiiaohulu
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed in Bintan Lagoon for a long weekend and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for any couple or family looking for a short getaway from Singapore.

The deluxe room was nice and spacious and I specially loved the bed, which was big and pretty comfortable. I would also like to highlight the balcony. I was greatly surprised by this feature because it was unexpected and I really love balconies at night and early in the morning.

On the other hand, the aircon was automated and every time we left the room, it was turned on by default. That made the room too cold when we got back, although it's not a big issue.

The resort is beautiful, with two pools and a nice beach. I kind of missed a better sea view from the main pool but the bar was cool and the staff very friendly and "ever smiling". On top of that, Bintan Lagoon is full of activities and things to do to take your stay to a new level. There is a wide range of sport activities available at the private beach and I specially liked ATV's and jetskis.

With respect to the food, I have to say that it exceeded my expectations. Both breakfast and lunch buffet were quite good , although I want to make a special mention to the Japanese restaurant, Miyako, where everything from seafood to sushi and tempura was excellent. The beef tenderloin was truly delicious, featuring the most tender meat ever. That's a must-try if you visit the resort.

In summary: good food, friendly stuff, nice facilities, lots of activities and really close to Singapore. I will go back, for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground level have nice terraces, even better than balconies if you like being outdoors.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear AlbertoRodp,

Thank you for your feed back on the resort and I am pleased that you enjoyed your long weekend and the host of activities and facilities on the property.

I will share your comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

David A. Hill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
Village Resort Grand Lagoi Bintan by Far East Hospitality
The Sanchaya
The Sanchaya
#1 of 5 in Lagoi

Been to Bintan Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!