“Biggest Cheat: be careful”

Bintan Lagoon Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lagoi
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Biggest Cheat: be careful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed in this resort with my colleagues for 1 night. When we checked in on Aug 1 they charged 6mn IDR to my credit card as deposit. We were leaving the next day and our total expense (lunch & dinner which was charged to room) was 9mn IDR. They said they would reverse the deposit and charged the entire 9mn to my card again. We specifically enquired if the 6mn is reversed and they said yes.
Fortunately I checked my credit card bill after 4 days and shocked to see that the amount is not reversed. 4 days and they could not figure out they have double charged a guest while reconciling their accounts?

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pinaki B
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your comments, I have discussed with my finance team and front office and the credit card authorisation which was taken for your stay, upon check out, the sale completion was not completed correctly and this resulted in double charge to your card.

I sincerely apologise for this mistake and assure you the card is being re credited and action taken to ensure this is not repeated.

Yours sincerely

David A. Hill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked a sea facing room, was requested to pay for upgrade fees. Paid, but was given a room with view facing the bintan ferry terminal for bintan lagoon resort!

When question at the counter. Front desk indicated there's no sea facing room only SEA FRONT!
Gosh, why charge upgrade fees with most of the rooms are blocked by the newly builded ferry terminal and restaurant.

Food was very expensive! $20 for Udon soup with 3 sliced of beefs and 2 fish cake.

Will never go again.

Room Tip: ensure you check all bookings, front desk service staffs are not helpful at all.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MrMrsMsTan
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your review and comments of your recent stay, I am sorry that your experience was not as expected.

I have taken note of your comments in the review and have addressed this with my team to resolve the issues you mentioned.

Our sea facing rooms are located in the east and west wings, with the best views of sea view in the east wing close to the Rice Restaurant, as we have extensive mature vegetation our sea view rooms are on our higher floors and have very good views of the South China Sea.

I do hope you will come back again and please let me know when you are travelling it would be my pleasure to welcome you back.

David A. Hill

Travellers are raving about these Lagoi hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My Husband and I stayed at Bintan Lagoo Resort from April 23, 2014 to May 1, 2014.

I have given this resort a rating of "Very Good" due to our over all experience, the cleanliness of the beach and the pools, the quality of food and the amazing service we got from the staff, especially the staff at the main pool bar.

However, if I was to rate the rooms and amenities I would give it more of a Poor-Average. The rooms are fairly old. I had stayed here previously in 2010 and I found that in the last 4 years the rooms have really fallen into disrepair. The furniture, paint and floors are in need of upgrade. The odd thing we found was that our bathroom didn't have a real "door", more like a sliding wooden blind through which you could peer into the bathroom clearly. Nonetheless, the rooms were clean and the staff was on top of keeping them clean throughout the day.

We stayed in one of the floral suits which are the best accommodation available on the resort. Our suite was fairly large and we had a jacuzzis and a spacious private balcony that faced the ocean.

The beach itself was white sand and very clean, a couple of times we got coconuts picked from the palm trees. You have to get to the beach early to get a good spot, but as we were there from Canada and on a 12 hour jet-lag, waking up early was definitely not a problem.

When you book your room you can add on the morning breakfast buffet to your room package or you can pay for it daily. I highly recommend that you get the breakfast buffet on your room. There is a great selection and variety of food, everything is made fresh and tastes amazing. The perfect way to start your days.

My husband and I especially enjoyed lounging pool side. The staff at the pool bar truly made our stay memorable. They did everything possible to make us comfortable. Although the pool bar has its own "bar fare" menu, once we explained that we really wanted to try the local cuisine they were happy to bring us food from the main kitchen on the resort that prepares a variety of local and pan-asian dishes.

Throughout the day we were able to access internet by hanging around the lobby. This is was a great way for us to get in touch with family at home but we didn't feel that we needed more regular internet connection. If you do love your internet, you can get an internet package from the "business centre" (above the main reception desk).

An important thing to note is that food is very EXPENSIVE on this resort and from what I hear on this whole island. Over the 8 nights that we were there we spent about $2500 CAD on food and drinks alone for just 2 people! This did not even include the breakfast buffet that we had gotten on our room!

In terms of excursions, we went on a tour of the town that included dinner at a sea-food restaurant. It was a wonderful afternoon get-away.

Overall our experience was wonderful and relaxing. Staff were kind and helpful, weather was great, and the beach was beautiful.

****One thing I would certainly warn you about is the number of Rent-a-girlfriend/boyfriend-for-a-weekend couples you come across, and I suppose too PDA is just part of that type of arrangement. From what I understand however, this is a problem you will encounter at all the resorts in Bin Tan as the Island makes for a quick getaway from Singapore where you find a lot of ex-pats. If running into these type of "couples" makes you uncomfortable then I would suggest not visiting Bin Tan at all. But at the end of the day a "live and let live" attitude is the best way to go about it.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Man D
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you found the resort relaxing and our staff attentive to your needs, I will share your comments with the team, as they appreciative your comments of how they provided great levels of service during your stay.

Your comments on the operations issues have been shared with my team so we may continue to improve our service.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just spending 2 night 3 day stayed in bintan lagoon resort, a huge resort with private ferry terminal and 2 big swimming pool, beside that the beach very clean and beautiful. food are good and the price bit high. over all staffs are friendly and nice

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in the resort and you enjoyed the beach and our large pools, the Ferry direct service is very convenient I will share your comments with my staff concerning your appreciation of their service, they will be most pleased.

Amsterdam, Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Beach is great and clean in front of the resort. Elsewhere not. Ferry service super convenient and resort is good enough... Unfortunately just that. Food is only passable and incredibly expensive for what it is and taking into account that you are in Indonesia. Drinks are way too expensive.

Rooms are dated and in dire need of up do. Our room had mould smell and rust marks in the bathroom. I am allergic to dust mice and after two nights I was covered in pimples.

In short, we loved the beach but not the resort. The rice restaurant is the best of the resort but you still end up overpaying.

We will return to Bintan. Probably not to the Lagoon.

Alcohol costs the same as is Singapore.

Clearly focused in getting tourists from Singapore. It is nice and the staff tries hard, but definitely not a 5 star.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tuxa21
Mozaic H, General Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Tuxda21,

Thank you for your comments I will share with my team your feedback, as we are moving through soft renovation of our public space and guest rooms, thank you for your comments concerning the staff efforts to make your stay more enjoyable. I am working with my team to improve the resort and service and please do let me know when you are coming back to the island, it would be my pleasure to welcome you back so that you can see the changes we are making.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Loved the direct ferry service - saved time in travelling and the hassle. Best of all loved the golf course but it would be great if the walkway from clubhouse to the hotel is covered! When it rained had to wait for buggy and it was a hassle having to look for drivers. Food at the golf coffeehouse is lousy and there is not much variety. Food at the coffeehouse is so so. Need improvement on the f&b side. Was abit disappointed. Massage at the beach was expensive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mozaic H, Asst. Guest Relation Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Acer98,

Thank you for taking the time to gave us the comments, with our own ferry terminal it's make a comfortable journey for our lovely guests and just only 75 minutes from Singapore TMFT terminal .

Bintan Lagoon Resort have two beautiful golf course with a profesional design course by Ian baker finch and Jack nicklaus.

we do apologize for the troublesome and delay in pick-up when it rains but your suggestions will be considered

we really appreciated of your feedback in regards of food in our haskell cafe and kopi-o restaurant. now chef team do their best to improve food quality as expected by guest. we do have a signature restaurant called RICE it's recommended to all our inhouse guest

Massage from outside vendor,we do hope will work with a better price list for future business.

We look forward to welcome back you agin to our resort,

Best Regards,
Lenny
Asst. Guest Relation Manager.
Clontarf
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Bintan Lagoon Resort 6 years ago and thought no need to check.
Wow have things changed. The Resort is OK. Needs some maintenance here and there but generally OK.
Main complaint as others have found is the food in the Restaurants. With nowhere else to eat other than the Resort Restaurants you are forced to pay ridiculous prices for sub standard food.
The Rice restaurant has a magic position on the beach. I ordered fish which was cold due to a frozen centre. My wife ordered steak which was so tough she could east it. Sent both back. Came back with cold vegetables.
Next day lunch by the pool was inedible.
Can't believe the Management read the reviews or they surely would do something about the food in the restaurants.
We should have known things were deteriating when we were pick up in a dilapidated old Resort bus at the Ferry wharf.
Staff are very friendly and trying their best but let down by the management.

Room Tip: Room facing the pool or ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ClontarfPorky76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
The Sanchaya
The Sanchaya
#1 of 5 in Lagoi
Village Resort Grand Lagoi Bintan by Far East Hospitality

Been to Bintan Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!