“Excellent for families with young children”

Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lagoi
Singapore
“Excellent for families with young children”
Reviewed 28 December 2008

We were at Nirwana resort hotel for Christmas this year. The service was excellent.

We were picked up from the ferry terminal and were greeted by dancers and hot ginger tea on our arrival. We were given our rooms immediately at about 11ish though check in was at 3pm.

It was pouring on Christmas eve but there was plenty to do. My son promptly joined the kids club that they had moved to the hotel lobby. For $5 a day, children can join in a range of activities from 10 am to 5 pm. On other days, kids can be left at the club house by the children's pool. There were daily visits to the mini zoo behind nirwana resort hotel, feeding the fish and turtles, face painting, puppet making, leaf painting, buggy rides, treasure hunts, team games, etc. The programme was conducted by Tina and her assistant who were able to converse in English fairly well with the children. I noticed that several security guards too were constantly around the group keeping an eye on the children when they were out on the grounds.

The pool table and pub where they were screening children's movies (Harry Potter I think) is a great place for parents to hang out while keeping an eye on the kids.

It's best to check into Nirwana resort hotel if one is traveling with children. Otherwise one would have to take the shuttle down to drop off kids and pick them up for meals. It's also easier to keep an eye on the children when they are in the same premise.

They had a great Christmas programme for the children with songs and dance at the lobby of nirwana resort hotel and Santa Claus arriving on an elephant. The kids were thrilled.

The pool is fabulous and I believe it's been described by others in this forum, so I wont go into the details. I do wish the Jacuzzi was heated though. The water was so cold on all three days. There are plenty of sea sports available ... though ours was a trip focused on our son. :-)

The resort centre is a 5 min. walk from nirwana resort hotel. It's a great place to go for meals if one is looking for food court prices and menu. Though I would highly recommend checking out the restaurants in the hotels and the food is superb! Especially at the beach hut resort and dino bistro. My son loved the turkey pizza and they made a pretty good 'nirwana illusion' at the bar of the beach hut restaurant. The buffet at the restaurants are between $35 and $40 per person +++ and children are charged half price. It's value for money.

Plenty of great buys and good quality gifts available on the 3rd floor of the resort centre. Check out the air rifle shooting ($8 for 25 shots), archery ($8 for 25 arrows) and horse riding ($15 for 3 rounds - dressed as a cowboy!) that's available at the resort centre as well. Do hire a buggy to ride around the resort at $25 per hour. It will give one an opportunity to explore all the premises ... there are plenty of picture perfect spots around the huge premise.

The service was excellent. The staff addressed us by our name. We had a view of the mini zoo. The furniture was made of teak wood. Classy!

Oh and, whatever you do, just bring Singapore dollars. When they charged the card it was in ruppiah and the rates were not good. The prices were always higher when using US currency and Indonesian currency for some reason. Everything is priced at Singapore dollars anyway, there is no need for any other currency.

It's an excellent hotel. We did not find it crowded as others have commented. However, we were told that Fri - Sun were usually full house as there were plenty of beach parties and concerts organized by the hotel.

Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Anu_Singapore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2008

We booked for the Nirwana Beach club, where we stayed before and got upgraded to the Nirwana beach hotel.

The hotel is a family resort hotel, probably 10-15 years old. It looks well maintained and has its very nice stretch of beach with it, when its high tide. When it is low tide the sea is too far out to swim.

The staff is friendly and efficient, the rooms where nice, cool with airconditioning and all around the pool/beach areas.

We visited this hotel over the weekend and there where still plenty of beach chairs available, both at the pool and the beach.

The breakfast buffet is good, plenty of western and asian choices. What we liked best of the hotels in the Nirwana group is the Spa on the complex. They have great treatments and in the 2 weekends we have stayed on the island, I have been there 4 times for the leisurly environment.

• Liked — Location at the beach
  • Disliked — The hotel is getting a little bit old
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We went during the long Deepavali weekend and all the tour agents are fully booked by the time we tried to get a room 1 wk prior to the holidays. But we found hostelworld.com to have 2-3 rooms left. We paid S$400 online for a 3d2n trip with 10% downpayment. We booked the ferry seats online too at www.brf.com.sg. Paid extra S$15 for the upgraded seats, however we were not impressed due to the odd face-to- face seating arrangements. Singapore ferry terminal hwas convenient. On arrival, we were delighted by the free pick up service at the the gloomy looking bintan ferry terminal. At the resort we were greeted by a tired group of dancers and drum beaters but still they manage some smiles. We arrived early at 10.30 and were happy that the resort let us check in early at no further charges. The road to the resort was about 20 mins through the undeveloped but clean and neat landscape. Our room on the 3rd flr was very spacious and clean but had no good window view. Our lunch was at the poolside cafe and the food were priced as regular as any casual restaurants in Singapore. The beach was nice and quiet and we found some hammocks for use. Fish swim close to shore and on the left edge of the beach we saw a frantic battalion of tiny crabs. We cautiously spotted some jellyfish too. The beach was rocky and so we advise to wear slippers. Breakfast was wonderful and really made a good start to the day. The spread range in continental to Asian flavours like beef bacon to soto soup. We returned for dinner buffet ($30 ++) and we really loved the desserts. The pool was excellent and we loved the sea facing edge and we also liked the 'jacuzzi' feature as well. We joined some couples and enjoyed drinks at the pool bar which happened to be the only place on the pool grounds where smoking was not prohibited. Overall the landscape was really nice and breezy and the evening walks along the quiet beach makes a good end to the day. We thought the resort should provide more sun beds. It got really crowded at the pool and you have to really rush in for a good spot sometimes. Bintan makes a good weekends escape from concrete jungle of Singapore and although a tad pricey, we paid and got what we wanted.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Khairil
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 October 2008

The Nirwana Resort Hotel is what I would call a good all-rounder. The hotel is part of the Nirwana Gardens resort, which also houses the Mayang Sari resort, Nirwana Beach Club and Indra Maya and Banran Biru Villas. There’s enough going on in the resort to keep the average person entertained for a short stay – including several restaurants, a water sports centre, nightclub and spa. I believe a new section is opening soon with a bowling alley and other attractions.

NRH gets plus points for clean and spacious rooms (we had a suite) and friendly service. Although there are several restaurants, the food was nothing special. The best food we had was probably at Dino Bistro, although I wish we had visited the Thai restaurant as the setting looked amazing.

We visited on a public holiday weekend and as others have commented, things can be scarce during such busy times! On our first day all the sun loungers had been taken before we arrived at the pool. So the next day we decided to have an early breakfast, only to find a queue winding right out of the doorway at the coffee shop. When we finally got to sit down we were greeted by a row of empty serving dishes on the buffet. Food was not promptly replenished.

An earlier breakfast didn’t help our quest for sun loungers, which were still non existent, and on the final day matters got even worse as there were no beach towels available. I do hope the NRH sorts out these minor problems as generally it’s a great hotel but honestly, if you feel like you are in some sort of race or competition to fight it out with your fellow guests for the last sausage or beach towel it doesn’t make for a relaxing time.

• Liked — Clean and spacious room
  • Disliked — Lack of sun loungers & towels and queues for breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_Fingers
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We were here a year ago and here we are again.

Thanks again to Mr Wahab, Ms Rie and their staff for their very nice services. From the VIP pickup at the terminal to the very nice birthday cake (complimentary from the resort) for our birthday girl, Jamine.

We like the nice and clean pool, the beach (with small fishes swimming round your feet during low tide) and the general amenities. There is even a mini zoo behind the main hotel area featuring alligators, alligator fish, snapper tortoises, eagles, parrots, pythons, etc. Don't think we saw it during our last stay.

Food ok but not cheap in general. But we do like their nasi goreng (fried nice) indon style, served with crackers, large prawn, chicken wing, egg and sambal (special chilli) sauce. S$12 a plate...not too expensive.

On the whole, another very nice three days stay.

• Liked — Clean and nice pool view
  • Disliked — no sauna and steam room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mel380
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 September 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Nirwana Gardens Resort Hotel. The staff were warm and welcoming and always willing to help. Our suite was lovely, with beautiful ocean views and the resort facitilies fantastic. It was the perfect place to relax and enjoy a few days in the sun. Also, the food and surroundings at the new Japanese restaurant Rin, were outstanding. Would definitley return to Nirwana Gardens again in the future.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
augustjones
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I am from the UK and this was my first visit to Indonesia - a stop over on the way back from NZ.
Firstly I was by myself and spent a long time looking at trip advisor on which was the best hotel to stay at and what the reviews said. I am glad i picked this Hotel as it exceeded expectations and I had great time.
I got the ferry from the Tenah Merah Ferry Port in Singapore, it's just like an airport check-in, very organised. Ferry journey fine, just an hour, you have to pay US$10 visa fee on arrival in Bintan (about SG$17). At the Bintan Ferry Port I collected luggage easily and then the Hotel organises for a shuttle bus to pick you up. Easily signed up and I hadn't arranged this with the Hotel it's just an automatic transfer service offered by the Hotel when you book your room.
The Hotel accepts SG$ and Indonesian Rupiah at all its outlet, shops, restaurants. You can charge nearly everything to your room so do not need to carry cash around. Hotel reception offers money exchange, not good rates though.
There is a business centre at the Hotel that offers internet connection for SG$3 per 15 minute or if you want to bring your laptop and surf from your room you can purchase a wi-fi voucher at SG$12 per hour or SG$35 for 24 hours from Hotel reception. The Hotel is all white with dark wood and tiles inside, very 'Indonesian' and modern. It's cleaned daily and is pretty big. It is on three floors but the top floor is not high. I loved my room - I paid for a sea view room with a kingsize bed - it was spacious, clean, had an LCD TV with mixture of American and Asian channels. There was a desk, wardrobe, arm chair, chest, (stocked if requested) fridge, tea & coffee making facilities. The bathroom is clean and has a bath and shower and provides shampoo, toothbrush etc. The room has centralised air conditioning. Rooms are cleaned daily along with bedlinen and towels changed. The pool area provides beach towels free of charge so you do not need to take bath towels to the pool.
The Pool was amazing, lots of different areas - interconnecting pools with a swim up bar and lots of seating. As many towels as you like provided free. The Beach was paradise, palm trees, white sand (cleaned daily as it gets some debris from passing ships) turquoise waters, a breeze so you don't get too hot. It is humid, I normally hate humidity, but it didn't feel too 'close' and I didn't really notice it, especially on the beach. Beach is private to the Hotel and right next to the pool, so again towels chairs and parasols provided for free.
The buffet breakfast in the Coffee Shop (a huge dining room) is amazing. I got free vouchers when I checked in - it's included in the price of the room. They had tea coffee fruit juice, pancakes, omlettes (made while you watch), eggs, beef bacon, chicken sausages (no pork as indonesia is mainly muslim), egg fried rice, miso soup, noodles, curry, toast, bread rolls, jam, pastries, cereal, fruit. There was loads, and everybody kept going up for more and more You can basically just fill up at breakfast and then just have a snack at lunch. Breakfast was between 6.30am and 10.30am.
I ate at the Pool Bar one day - OK, basic food, pretty cheap (SG$9 for a satay chicken meal) but i was a bit ill next day. I ate mostly at the Dino Bistro (overlooks the pool and beach, and above the coffee shop). Not bad not great, I know some people have complained. I did not think overpriced. Between SG$9 and SG$23 per main course. Room service available, reasonable prices - sandwich, burger curry etc
There is a mini mart (sweets crisps drinks toiletries sun cream etc) and a gift shop at the Hotel. There was a pub with arm chairs and a TV, and apparently karaoke.
I found the Staff to be really friendly. They always greet you when you walk by and were really helpful. Reception staff OK, a couple of the girls a bit unhelpful (they ran out of wi-fi vouchers) but otherwise pleasant.
Everybody speaks English.
They regularly do 'resort sprays' to get rid of insects and mosquito's. Usually on holiday I get bitten to high heaven but I didn't get one bite. Didn't see any spiders or flies. There are lizards about but they're tiny and harmless and afraid of humans so won't bother you.
You have to confirm your return ferry journey at least 24 hours prior to departure with Reception.
I would definitely recommend this Hotel. I paid £70 per night (SG$180) that was for a sea view room though but excellent value. I was amazed by the room, kept traditionally Indonesian.
I booked the Hotel through asiarooms.com.
I would come back to Nirwana Resort Hotel if I returned to Bintan.

• Liked — Pool and private beach
  • Disliked — No late check-out
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank augustjones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
#7 of 36 in Bintan Island
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!