“Still the best value”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lagoi
singapore
“Still the best value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

it was my third time visiting the place and so far its still good. i agree with what a reviewer said about managing expectations. i think in bintan, nirwana offers the best value. other resorts are 2-4x more expensive yet basing on the reviews are not much better (sometimes worse). on our last stay, i got a pre-CNY deal for $126sgd nett with buffet breakfast for 2 for their standard room.

during my 2nd and 3rd stay, the hotel staff generously upgraded our room (from standard to deluxe). whenever i had some problem with our room, they are usually quick to answer. the service, while not top notch, aint bad. i guess what works is to be assertive but keep being nice to the staff.

the resort itself is a typical family hotel, with big pools and some areas for recreation. on crowded days, it could be harded to get sunchairs, but you may opt to stay on the beachfront or on the bigger beach on the left of the hotel (mayang sari). i suggest to avoid peak days as much as you can if you dont like crowded resorts

the food was okay, the coffee shop offers the best value for the budget-conscious though the selection is a bit limited to indonesian and singaporean dishes. if you are lucky, they might have their bbq buffet on some nights which is quite good. be aware though that the prices are of singapore standards and might be quite a shock to first-timers. i mean even the food at the marriott phuket was cheaper (and better) than in bintan. for the breakfast buffet, i think its pretty good for the price

all in all i'd say nirwana resort offers the best value and we'll probably be back again

• Liked — cheap but nice
  • Disliked — limited food selection
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2009

I went there for 2 days with my fiancé. It was hard to get a pool chair on both days, the food at the resort was not good. Do not get the club sandwich. However, the non-western food was good. There are also a range of restaurants accessible nearby that are good. This is place was ok, not great. If you must go get a room upgrade and get to breakfast before 9.30am to avoid long queues.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Lagoi hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

My sister visited us for Christmas from Ireland and wanted a short getaway where there would be sun, sand and sea - thought that Bintan would be the perfect place. We booked 2 rooms (4 of us) through a travel agent at the Nirwana Gardens Resort Hotel from 27-29 Dec 08. Everything was fine we were met and brought to hotel and were warmly welcomed. As we arrived early our rooms were not ready as the hotel was running full. So we went for a visit to Pasar Oleh Oleh, had lunch there and returned to the hotel By then one room was ready so my sister decided that she'll take it (mind you there were no bath towels) and that I would bunk in with her until mine was ready. Whilst she was opening her room door, some one from housekeeping approached us and said that the other room was ready - but I did not have the key. He had a master and opened the door and turned on the lights. The room (2234) smelt fresh and looked clean. We left our stuff and went to the beach and later dinner. We came back to the room around 10pm and after a shower wanted to call it a night. I pulled open the quilt cover and to my horror there was a patch of blood on the bed. It looked quite fresh and had stained thru to the mattress protector. The quilt cover also had a little blood stain on it. So strange - the sheet was smooth and pressed. It did'nt look like anyone had lay on it. We felt afraid, disgusted and shocked. Unfortunately I did not take any photos being in a state of shock. I called the duty manager. He came with the housekeeping manager. Both got a shock and immediately called their staff to remove the cover and protector and take it out of the room - by which time it was past 11pm. May be they knew something that we did'ntt!!!! As there were no rooms available we were told by the duty manager that he'll put us in a suite (1128) to sleep for the night and that we could move our belongings the next day. We had nothing with us -only our passports and money. I was surprised that the duty/night manager did not offer any help to help us move the next day. By now it was midnight It was a nightmare for me in the suite - I could not sleep the whole night - my mind was going hay wire and to make things worst the the wood panelling in the suite were all black and mind you there were lots of it. all around. Next morning we went back to move our belongings. We thought we could manage it ourselves as it would be faster as we realised that the service in the hotel is really slow. We lost our way but finally found our room. Our original room was in the East Wing and now its in the West Wing or the other way around I can't remember. So you can imagine the distance we had to walk with our luggage. We were told that senior management would contact us. But for 2 days we did not hear from anyone. On the last day when we were waiting for our transport to the ferry terminal the Asst Dir of Rooms approached us and apologised. He said that they are still investigating and had checked with the housekeeper who claimed that he did not see the blood when he made up the bed. I was hoping that he would ask for my contact details so that he can inform me of the outcome of their investigation but he did'nt. I am still anxious to know. What really upset me was that my sister and myself were supposed to be in adjoining rooms and now were miles apart. To be honest, after this incident I felt unhappy throughtout my stay in Bintan.

Some compassion could have been shown for all the incovenience we went through. Customer recovery needs to be drastically improved. Everyone is so busy doing their things but forget that what had happened does'nt speak well of the hotel and I did say that I will do a review. Ultimately customer satisfaction should be top priority. The hotel service needs to be improved - to request anything be it laundry service, housekeeping, etc you have to wait a few hours and keep chasing. I have told a number of my friends of this incident and they looked puzzled. Well it's up to you to figure this out. Guess I will never know the truth!! One thing I do know is that I will NEVER never stay at Nirwana Gardens Resort again - its my first and last.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

I've stayed here twice, once with business colleagues for a board meeting, and once as an overnight chill-out/bicycling trip. Be realistic - the place is designed as a retreat from Singapore for the middle classes, it's priced as such, big and busy, and run by under-trained staff. So long as you're aware of that, you'll have a great time.

The good bits: The location is great for a "do-nothing" resort, with a long, long white (and fairly clean, by Asia tho' not by, for e.g., Australian standards) beach, safe for swimming, and an architecturally nice lowish-rise property. The rooms are simple, generously sized, with proper long baths, tea/coffee making facilities, and good beds (firm, but comfortable, with good bed linen). The pool is clean and attractive, and the gardens within the hotel, and the grounds without, are beautiful and well kept. So it's a perfectly nice place to spend a dozy day or two and catch up on sleep or spend time with friends or family. There's also a good range of facilities dotted around the sister resorts, with free shuttles easily available.

The grouches: Like all hotel staff in Indonesia (and Malaysia), inefficiency is the rule. In the nicer places (and this is one of them) there are plenty of staff and they smile a lot, but they're still useless. So don't expect the service that the price you're paying would suggest, you'll be disappointed. Timing and accuracy of food orders, speed of check-in and check-out, accurate information, comprehension of any special orders or requests, fixing stuff quickly... dream on!

The breakfast was mixed. At the back-end of the new year holiday, at 8:30, it was horrible - low-quality food (even the Indonesian options weren't very good - gag-inducing beef bacon and unchewable chicken in the curry), cheap breads and jams, and a zoo-like atmosphere because of the number of quests. The coffee and made-to-order omelettes were ok tho. Mid-week in off-season, at 6:30 am, it was a good way to grab a coffee, collect thoughts, and go...

I've eaten in three restaurants within the neighbouring resorts. They're all expensive - priced as if you were in a hotel restaurant in Singapore. The kelong (seafood on stilts) place is good but very large, but still quite fun, and serves Singapore-style Chinese seafood. Best for large parties, not for a quiet dinner. The Thai restaurant is in a very pleasant building, the ambience is quiet and civilized, and the food was good - tho' no Thai would have recognised it as Thai food! Plus Frank Sinatra c1950, and Edith Piaf, didn't quite set us thinking we were in a palace in Bangkok. Finally, we headed out to lunch at the Banyan Tree, which, although the property is genuinely stunning, was a joke - the staff were clueless, the food was off-the-scale expensive ($100 for three local dishes and three soft drinks!), and, to cap it all, in a supposedly five-star international location, we were told AFTER we asked for the bill that they couldn't take credit cards.

The spa associated with Nirwana is very beautiful, and the massage itself was quite good, but isn't really worth the money unless you're a real spa addict.

• Liked — location and environment
  • Disliked — dopey staff and Singapore pricing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

AKA Nirwana Gardens/Nirwana Beach Resort/Indra Maya Villas/Mayang Sari chalets.
Booked this hotel through Asiarooms website. Generous use of the wide angle lens and vague language hid the sad reality.
For 500 Dollars a night, our "suite" (essentially a bedroom with small sitting room, afforded us no turndown service, no replacement of used toiletries, and toilet paper suited better to sanding rough bits of wood. Oh, and an empty, not-working, minibar fridge. The room itself was clean and attractive, tho the bed was hard as a rock.
Our first day there, a long hair rested atop my husband's beef rendang. He saw it as the waitress put down the bowl. He pointed it out, she laughed and walked away.... That night at dinner, we shared a tempura appetizer, I had a beer, then I had "teppanyaki prawns" (three prawn tails and one head topped unappealingly with what seemed to be a pink mayonnaise) -- my husband's "teriyaki chicken" was delivered to him raw. Bloody. We joked he'd spent $100 for dinner without getting a drink or a main course. The next day, we found only one taxi service is allowed onsite, and they only hire out cars for 4-hour blocks at $80 per block, unless you are going to one of a handful of local places -- a ride to the Banyan Tree hotel "next door" is $15 one way. (The resorts are rather isolated, which makes walking around impossible.)

We complained to management. about the above-listed and numerous other matters. A nice manager named Mr. Yudiyantho gave us a nice viisit. There was a generous show of a free massage in our room because "no room at the spa", and the broken fridge was replaced -- with another broken fridge. To add insult to injury, we ordered ice from roomservice to chill our warm soda cans and were charged $1.20 for that. I said "No, speak to Mr Yudiyantho, our fridge is broken". The waiter smiled then I saw on checking out that -- despite my not signing -- the $1.20 had been added into my bill with no comment or response from the hotel.

All in all, I found Bintan itself rather a nothing-to-do place, but this hotel in particular was pathetic, particularly with respect to its food and beverage service, a poor value indeed.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Low value of food and beverage, poor service, difficulty and price of ground transportation
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

My wife and I booked a 2D1N stay at a deluxe room at Nirwana Resort Hotel in late December, for a short getaway (no thanks to the gloomy economic outlook!).

Given a host of other more pricey choices in Bintan, we went with guarded expectations. We were quietly optimistic though, given the numerous positive reviews given on this website.

We arrived at the hotel at 12pm Singapore time (which is 11am local time) and were told that our room was not ready but will be "guaranteed" ready by 3pm. Sensing our disappointment, the receptionist suggested that we go ahead and use the facilities first while we wait for our room. Encouraged, we changed into our swimwear and headed for the pool after leaving what we did not need in the safekeeping of the reception.

The pool was just as great as the sunny weather that welcomed us. We were given towels even though we did not had a room yet. The pool bar was swell too, the friendly bartender also offered to take care of the bill and charge it to our room. Good drinks (try the "Crazy Man" cocktail), even better service!

We had lunch at the poolside bar (pizza and pasta). Not fantastic but passable by our standards. Service was prompt and polite though.

At about 4pm, we decided that our room should be ready and thus proceeded to change up and headed for the reception. Surprisingly, it seemed that they were still unable to give us our room! But before I could even muster up a protest, we were offered a free upgrade to the Nirwana Suite!

Needless to say, the suite was a lot better than what we expected, and in fact, looked like it was recently renovated. Clean and fresh, the bathroom and bathtub were huge!

After settling down, we proceeded to book a spa package (S$315 for a 130 mins couple session).at Kedanton spa over at Mayang Sari at 5:30pm, a sister resort 5 mins away. At 5.15pm, the spa sent a car over to pick us up. Overall, we were quite happy with the treatment rendered though it was rather late by the time it ended. The spa driver then offered to drop us off at our next destination - which was the Kelong restaurant, for dinner.

For dinner, we opted for the 2-person 7 course set dinner (S$72++) - which we felt was great value. The ambience and setting was good too. Unfortunately, we were not able to head out to the cool looking Calypso bar for a drink for fear of missing the last shuttle bus.

Buffet breakfast at the Coffeeshop the following morning was ok too, and we did not wait long for our seats. However, I knew I shld have avoided the soft-boiled eggs. That seemed to be the culprit for my tummyache!

After breakfast, we went for a walk at the lovely beach and then a quick dip back in the pool again before packing up for check out at noon. Before our ferry ride at 3:30pm, we checked out the newly opened Resort Centre. The gym looked good and so did the other activities (like air-rifle shooting, paintball and archery). The bowling alley is still under construction.

Overall, we were happy with the place (not because we were upgraded, but because the place exceeded our expectations overall) and we would certainly visit it again.

1 Thank Mykonosboy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

We were at Nirwana resort hotel for Christmas this year. The service was excellent.

We were picked up from the ferry terminal and were greeted by dancers and hot ginger tea on our arrival. We were given our rooms immediately at about 11ish though check in was at 3pm.

It was pouring on Christmas eve but there was plenty to do. My son promptly joined the kids club that they had moved to the hotel lobby. For $5 a day, children can join in a range of activities from 10 am to 5 pm. On other days, kids can be left at the club house by the children's pool. There were daily visits to the mini zoo behind nirwana resort hotel, feeding the fish and turtles, face painting, puppet making, leaf painting, buggy rides, treasure hunts, team games, etc. The programme was conducted by Tina and her assistant who were able to converse in English fairly well with the children. I noticed that several security guards too were constantly around the group keeping an eye on the children when they were out on the grounds.

The pool table and pub where they were screening children's movies (Harry Potter I think) is a great place for parents to hang out while keeping an eye on the kids.

It's best to check into Nirwana resort hotel if one is traveling with children. Otherwise one would have to take the shuttle down to drop off kids and pick them up for meals. It's also easier to keep an eye on the children when they are in the same premise.

They had a great Christmas programme for the children with songs and dance at the lobby of nirwana resort hotel and Santa Claus arriving on an elephant. The kids were thrilled.

The pool is fabulous and I believe it's been described by others in this forum, so I wont go into the details. I do wish the Jacuzzi was heated though. The water was so cold on all three days. There are plenty of sea sports available ... though ours was a trip focused on our son. :-)

The resort centre is a 5 min. walk from nirwana resort hotel. It's a great place to go for meals if one is looking for food court prices and menu. Though I would highly recommend checking out the restaurants in the hotels and the food is superb! Especially at the beach hut resort and dino bistro. My son loved the turkey pizza and they made a pretty good 'nirwana illusion' at the bar of the beach hut restaurant. The buffet at the restaurants are between $35 and $40 per person +++ and children are charged half price. It's value for money.

Plenty of great buys and good quality gifts available on the 3rd floor of the resort centre. Check out the air rifle shooting ($8 for 25 shots), archery ($8 for 25 arrows) and horse riding ($15 for 3 rounds - dressed as a cowboy!) that's available at the resort centre as well. Do hire a buggy to ride around the resort at $25 per hour. It will give one an opportunity to explore all the premises ... there are plenty of picture perfect spots around the huge premise.

The service was excellent. The staff addressed us by our name. We had a view of the mini zoo. The furniture was made of teak wood. Classy!

Oh and, whatever you do, just bring Singapore dollars. When they charged the card it was in ruppiah and the rates were not good. The prices were always higher when using US currency and Indonesian currency for some reason. Everything is priced at Singapore dollars anyway, there is no need for any other currency.

It's an excellent hotel. We did not find it crowded as others have commented. However, we were told that Fri - Sun were usually full house as there were plenty of beach parties and concerts organized by the hotel.

Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Anu_Singapore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
The Sanchaya
#1 of 5 in Lagoi
Village Resort Grand Lagoi Bintan by Far East Hospitality
Bintan Lagoon Resort

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!