“Great Hotel, shame about the rain.”

Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lagoi
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We stayed here for a short break whilst visiting a friend in Singapore. It rained almost the whole time, but this is to be expected, I think in October. It didn`t ruin it for us we still did all we wanted. We travelled as a small group ( 6 of us) and had 3 large rooms. The hotel and food etc. was excellent as was the service provided by all staff. It was my husbands birthday while we were there and they made him a cake in hours although they did request a days notice. But that was not that much of a problem, the dune buggy`s are a must, to do. The pool is excellent. As was the kayaking we had a great time. Also the lovley walks around the resort were very enjoyable. Would definately go back.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed 7 March 2009

Everytime I had a transit in Singapore I always tried to stop over for at least 4 hours just so I could go to the Seafood Centre for my dose of Pepper Crab.

On this occassion I was going there for a friends Wedding so instead of going just for the weekend my wife and I decided to go to Bintan Island.

When getting the ferry there make sure you have US$10 per person for a 7 day Visa. if staying longer (5 days is more than enough) it will cost more but not sure.

Nirwana Resort Hotel was fine.

Though it was the Monsoon Season we only saw 6 hours of rain during our 4 days there.
When it came down it hammered down. But the staff were ready and everyone pretty much went to the Pool Side Restaurant.

Rooms were ok but good for the money you pay. I did only have one gripe and that was the showers. Not quite bad but not good. I am only referring to the shower which could've done with a good splash of Bleach so that the black mould was killed off. Though it sounds bad it really was only a minor problem, and it was only noticeable if you looked for it.

The lighting in the bathroom and room could've been better but when the sun is up the room lit up really well. Mind you we didn't spend much time in the room anyway.

With the amount of guests that were there we were surprise that not many of them went to the Calypso Bar to watch the sunset. I would definitely recommend this for anyone even if you only do it once. A nice cocktail and sunset what more could you ask for?
If you don;t fancy the walk there than there is a free shuttle every 30 minutes.

Spice Restaurant - quite nice. Our waiter/host (Fasal) was awesome. Great personality and excellent memory. With a number of guests eatting there he remembered all our names.

The Coffee Shop - where the breakfast is had nice food but would just stick to the breakfast only as having lunch at different parts of the resort lets you see more.

The Kelong Restaurant - Well they don't lie. Seafood doesn't come much fresher than this. You choose your live seafood, they catch it from there and put it in the tank when it you are ready to have your meal. Then they cook it.

The Poolside Restaurant - food nice. When the rain comes over it is a nice place to sit a watch the storm pass over with a cold beverage.

The Pub - went there but not my kind of pub. As a Kiwi/Aussie living in London we know what Pubs should be like. But in saying that if there are a small/large group of you this would be a good place to kick on after the other bars close at 11pm.

Rin Restaurant - Unfortunately didn't get time to eat there but the view are awesome as this restaurant is right on the beach.

Quite funny to see some of the British there looking redder than a Lobster. Yet they still sat out in the sun day in day out.

Staff - really friendly and room service that we experienced was never longer than 5 minutes. eg. ran out of toilet paper late at night and within 3 minutes we were in business, went to watch the sunrise and put 'make up room' sign and by the time we got back it was all done.

They do allow you to bring your own spirits to drink but will charge you S$15 per bottle.

If you're up early the sunrise is nice. And walk to the left side of the beach. You'll see thousands of tiny sand crabs.

I have read reviews for people to visit Pasar Oleh-Oleh (pronounced Oo-leh Oo-leh) so we visited it. S$6 per person return for the bus (every half hour) otherwise S$15 each way for a taxi.
We got there and it is very touristy.
We were lucky that there was a footbal/soocer match on and there was at least 100 spectators watching at a small ground with no seating. This was great fun.
I would recommend a walk around Pasar Oleh-Oleh but the food was quite pricey with 1 exception. The Cafe (turn right when you get in there) at the end is the cheapest one there otherwise we went across the road from Pasar Oleh-Oleh to eat. Great food and very well priced for good quality food and great service. It is the only restaurant on that side where the Polo store's are and next to the Football field.

The beaches are cleaned daily which is a nice touch.

Not that you have to bring a gift for the staff, but one staff member told me that he received a book on Australia and loved it. So next time I think I will be bringing something small as a nice gesture.

The photo's of the pools etc on the website are spot on so no point me putting more up here.

Enough from me and all I know is that when transiting through Singapore we will definitely be spending 2/3 days at Nirwana Resort Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank k1w1brad
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Booked As A Spur Of The Moment Holiday, Went There For 8 days, Did Not Know What To Expect.
All In All A Very Nice Surprise, Staff Very Friendly And Kind, Especially With Our 8 Month Old Baby, Rooms Were Clean And Well Furnished, Pool Area Very Well Kept (need more ashtrays though), Gardens And Grounds Are Nice.
Food In The Several Themed Restaurants Is Good (buffet prices need to be lower and wine prices are crazy).
The Beach Due To The Time Of Year Was Not Great (but it was cleaned every day, the Nirwana Garden beach is much better, a 5 min walk away).
New Resort Center Will Be Fantastic When Finished.
Do Go To 'Pasar Oleh Oleh' To Eat And Shop One Night (10min in taxi, cheap beer and food, nice change from resort).
I Have Been To Worse But Higher Graded Resorts.
I Would Recommend Nirwana Resort Especially At The Price.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I've purchased the Valentine's Package to Pulau Bintan, and was staying in this hotel.

They really got a nice swimming pool, and a great beach. Really enjoy the good time at the beach.

For the Valentine's dinner, they even specially set up the tables along the beach, and I've got a romantic dinner with my lovely wife.

Great places, will back there to chill out again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2009

The Nirwana Resort is nothing special. It is decent and clean enough. No luxury here. But if you're not expecting luxury, you won't be disappointed. However, the biggest letdown we experienced was the lack of beach. The hotel does have a 'beach area' but it is not usable, at least not during monsoon season. We were not able to go swimming (too rough) or even sit on the beach (too dirty). Even looking in the direction of the beach was not a pleasant view, especially during low tide. So if you're going for a beach experience, don't go to the Nirwana. Otherwise, the place is okay as a 3 star resort.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2009

My wife, two girls (aged 9 & 6) and I holidayed at Nirwana Beach Resort, Banyu Biru Villa from the 21st July 2008 to the 10th August 2008. Albeit a resort predominately used by short term Singapore resident, we decided to take our annual leave on this resort. The holiday was nothing less that spectacular.

The resort is not as cheap as a lot of Asian holiday resorts, as prices are based on Singapore costings, however with my families holidays travels throughout Asia, this is without doubt the little bit of paradise that you are looking for. It is not as commercialised as a Phuket or a Bali, but it is without doubt an elite resort and island, that you have to get to.

I have never seen better beaches, experienced better weather (although I accept a little bit of luck, plays a part in the weather), never experienced a more helpful and friendly staff and have never had as great a time as we all had on the resort.

If anything negative has to be said, is that albeit we had a “semi self-catering” unit in Banyu Biru villas, unless you bring supplies from Singapore there are no facilities on the Island to buy food in line with a Western Based menu. Pasar Oleh Oleh is not a 7/11, in fact it’s far from it. So be prepared to do additional trips to Singapore to buy groceries, if you are a long stay guest, or you do what we had to do, and eat from the hotel menu. There are a lot of restaurants to choose from and anything you want you will get, from a basic salad to well anything, from low budget meals to well once again the very top end.

The kids club was good. They do have a requirement of a minimum of 4 kids to do activities for the day, however, when there were less than 4 (seldom) they were great at making sure that your kids were well looked after, even if it was just watching a DVD.

I am not sure that all who have been to Nirwana know of the magnificent walks that the resort has to offer. Take a walk down to Mayang Sari along the beach, pass Nirwana Beach Club, go past the exclusive villas (too expensive for me, but out of this world) walk down to the Kelong Restaurant and then walk along the top path back past the hotel. On route, stop at the look out point, you have to see the view, spectacular, and walk back past the new entertainment centre, pass the hotel and do the Nature Walk. We had great fun doing the walk as a family, and it made sure my waistline didn’t get tooooooo out of hand.

For all you golf lovers too, the courses on the island are world class. A little pricey but what would a holiday be without the golf.

In conclusion, you will without doubt have a great stay at Nirwana Beach Resort. It is a fantastic resort, with a magnificently happy and helpful staff. There was nothing that they could not do for us. Try it, you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank DubaiBoyd
Reviewed 20 January 2009

it was my third time visiting the place and so far its still good. i agree with what a reviewer said about managing expectations. i think in bintan, nirwana offers the best value. other resorts are 2-4x more expensive yet basing on the reviews are not much better (sometimes worse). on our last stay, i got a pre-CNY deal for $126sgd nett with buffet breakfast for 2 for their standard room.

during my 2nd and 3rd stay, the hotel staff generously upgraded our room (from standard to deluxe). whenever i had some problem with our room, they are usually quick to answer. the service, while not top notch, aint bad. i guess what works is to be assertive but keep being nice to the staff.

the resort itself is a typical family hotel, with big pools and some areas for recreation. on crowded days, it could be harded to get sunchairs, but you may opt to stay on the beachfront or on the bigger beach on the left of the hotel (mayang sari). i suggest to avoid peak days as much as you can if you dont like crowded resorts

the food was okay, the coffee shop offers the best value for the budget-conscious though the selection is a bit limited to indonesian and singaporean dishes. if you are lucky, they might have their bbq buffet on some nights which is quite good. be aware though that the prices are of singapore standards and might be quite a shock to first-timers. i mean even the food at the marriott phuket was cheaper (and better) than in bintan. for the breakfast buffet, i think its pretty good for the price

all in all i'd say nirwana resort offers the best value and we'll probably be back again

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
#6 of 37 in Bintan Island
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!