“Avoid this place”
Review of Eagle Bay Hotel

Eagle Bay Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Kuah
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed there late last Dec 2011 for three nights. Due to the lack of of hotel rooms, I decided to try this hotel. The pictures from the webpages were deceiving and the hotel looked decrepit externally and internally. When we arrived and entered the lobby, there was an over-powering smell which was quite unpleasant. The hotel could have chosen a better air freshener if there was a need to mask some other types of smells. However, we found out later that the smell in the lift was worse. We had to wait for our room to be ready although it was nearly 3pm. The hotel room we got was in a poor condition, the faded bedspreads had seen better days, the curtains were old and worn out. Cleaning and vacuuming were obviously done only for those visible areas. When we tried to relocate the beds to accomodate an extra mattress, I was shocked to discover remains of food items (potato chips, corn flakes, etc.) on the carpet under the bed. A lizard crept up the wall due to the disturbance and we managed to capture and release it outside. One of two of the electrical outlets was defective and I could not use it to charge up my mobile phone. The other was meant for the small LCD tv. The toilet was in no better condition, the fixture for the toilet hose was broken with the hose lying on the floor. As the tiles were all dark in color, I could not be sure of the toilet cleanliness but from the smell that emanated, I had my doubts. Breakfast was average with minimal choices, the food was bland and oily. The cleaning and clearing service were poor, the arrangement of food, drinks and cuttleries could be improved further. The external environment of the hotel shows a lack of housekeeping with discarded boxes blocking the driveway, the underground car park was equally dirty and messy. Overall, a general lack of maintenance. The staff at the reception was polite enough and helpful during my travel although calls to housekeeping went unanswered. We were glad that we only had to use the place for a shower and to sleep.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank benika6

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed here (Superior twin room) for business (attending a conference at The Westin). The organizers made a deal with this hotel to offer us cheaper rates. Since I can't afford The Westin (I'm just a struggling government officer, I can't stay in an expensive hotel and claim for it afterwards) I had no choice. Plus its the hotel that the organizers have arranged for a shuttle to pick us up to the conference venue so I just had to take it.

I would never come back voluntarily. That is 100% assured.

Pros:
1) Good location

Cons:
1) Rooms were really old and smell bad.
2) The floors had no carpets which is fine if it was kept clean and dust free, but it was dusty. 3) The toilet had a whiff of urine smell once I entered.
4) The beds look really dirty and worn. The sheets were stained and I felt itchy the moment I slipped in them. I don't want to wake up scratching myself so I slathered insect repellent on my body before I slept. Worked.
5) The TV had no remote and I had trouble turning it on. I had to call the reception. They were SLOW to response. Only had TV1, TV2 & TV3. No cable.
6) The curtains had a giant I-don't-know-what stain on them which is very visible under the light.
7) The doors had no safety latch. Dangerous as I am alone. So I used my suitcase and the chairs in the room to block my room from intruders.
8) They have NO WIFI in the rooms. U need to pay RM10 to use wifi in the lobby
9) They only provide ONE iron for the whole floor, and I need to walk out to the dark creepy hallway at 5 am in the morning to iron my clothes. CREEPY!
10) Breakfast was alright surprisingly. But the restaurant looks as dodgy as the rooms.
11) CONSTANT blackouts due to the VERY flimsy access card. I had to adjust the card on the electricity slot more than 6 times in my short 1 night stay.

I paid for 2 nights, but I checked out early to stay with a kind lady (one of the organizers) at The Westin. I was really blessed and lucky, because before I left the hotel I was not looking forward to spending another night in that place all alone.

Please avoid if you're a woman travelling alone or if you're allergic to dust and mites or if you like cleanliness or if you intend to do some work. It's probably okay for large families on budget.

And if you MUST stay here, bring your own iron, insect repellent, your own internet connection and something heavy to block the door.

You've been warned.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are terrible. If you can, try other rooms. But I really think you'd be better off...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank foxymardy
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Do not get cheat by the pictures from the hotel website. Its really terrible. Once we steps into the lobby area it had strong smell. The room is dusty and dark, seems like no cleaning with strong odor smells. Queen size bed very dusty. Toilet water leaking and couldn't flush. Breakfast was so so only..not much choice. Overall, is very bad condition hotel. Would not recommend anyone to stay, not worth it.

WARNING: STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank artic128
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This hotel is awful the staff are rude did not help us at all rooms horrible hotel dirty breakfast horrible woken up every morning by mosque at 6am this hotel mainly caters for muslims mainly it is not worth staying in

Room Tip: Do not go there
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dariandoreen
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Not a great great hotel but really Langkawi had left us completely bewitched to notice the hotel's shortcomings. Nighttime's the right time to enjoy the bar below - great music and decently priced liquor.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2011

A reasonably priced hotel. Rooms ok. Clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Top tip! hire a car from the airport (Make sure you have got insurance included), to avoid keep paying taxi fares they are a little bit more expensive than mainland malaysia. You can also negotiate with a taxi driver to hire him for a day, about 100 MYR. Probably the easiest if you want to tour the island and see the sights, that way you are assured of transport.
The breakfast wasn't to my liking. The toaster does work, remember the malaysian idea of toast is a slight singe, not toasted as we westerners prefer it.
I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ChepstowBob
Reviewed 17 July 2011

first we checked the standard room which confirmed the genaral opinion here, what a crap. We took a delux room (with balcony and king bed). despite the opinion of the reception, all rooms were the same, delux is remarcably bigger, renovated (sort of) have a view over the bay which is indeed nice and is equipped with some pleasant wooden furniture. It had a generally clean appearance with a scent of sanitizer.
although it was Sunday work was carried out in the morning. This is not a quiet place and i wonder about the din during the week. We would have liked to find complimentary bottled water in the room but had to pay. floortowels would have been nice too.

• Stayed: July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuah
Bella Vista Waterfront
#35 of 105 in Langkawi
Lavigo Resort
Lavigo Resort
#33 of 105 in Langkawi

Been to Eagle Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!