“the worst hotel I have ever seen”

Bella Vista Waterfront
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Kuah
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Very dirty hotel. Rude and aggressive staff. The lobby is not organized, no AC, they r using fans. The rooms r extremly dirty, old, taps r full of rust, the AC was not working, door was not properly closing, safe box is not working at all even when they send technicians but still didnt work. The lift used by guests is the same one used for garbage

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JamHZ
BellaVistaLangkawi, General Manager at Bella Vista Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Jamal Abdullah,

Thank you for providing us with your valued feedback and thoughtfully highlighting your points, which are certainly appreciated.

All concerns raised by you will be reviewed for improvement with the departments concerned.

I deeply regret the unpleasant experience during your stay and apologize without any hesitation for not meeting your expectations. I have personally discussed your observations with the Departments concerned to make sure of no future complaints.

We would like to reassure you that the shortcomings are certainly not reflective of our usual standards and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We hope to welcome you back again with a more positive stay experience.

Warm Regards,
Zack
Resident Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2013

and thats it. the room was dated and rather old but there was quite a bit of renovation (not much noise or dust though)... no wifi in the rooms... staff was rude... I think there are significantly better choices to choose from.. while I must still give some credit that there is some updates here and there and this might be a good place to go sometimes.. next year maybe?

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiffin_jane
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have read all the negative comments about the hotel, but I am of the view point that some people have a very unreal expectation of what they should get for their dollar! Before our first stay at this hotel, we were on a cruise that docked at Langkawi for the day, so we hired a motor bike and went to check out the hotel, while we still had time to cancel the reservation and find somewhere else to stay if necessary. We were shown a room and looked over the rest of the property, the internet rate I had booked for was very reasonable (and cheaper than the walk-in rate). When you compare the rate charged at other hotels on Langkawi (lots of them without any character or view) , this hotel is very good value for money. Breakfast daily: at least eight different hot dishes; full egg station; European styled cold cuts and salads; cereals; fresh fruits; breads, toast, rolls and pastries; fruit juices, tea, coffee. We were polite to staff and they were polite and helpful to us. We found it to be exactly the same two years later on our next visit, with many of the same staff.
If you are looking for a ‘Resort Holiday’ where you spend most of your time just at the resort, this probably isn’t the place for you, dig into your bank account for at least double what it costs to stay here and find a far more expensive hotel on a beach somewhere. It is however a great base to do day outing’s, and relax in the evenings. Car hire is very cheap on Langkawi (about 25% cheaper than mainland Malaysia), and it is only 45km to the furthest point on the island. The food at the restaurant is good, but the menu isn’t extensive if you are eating there a lot. There is a great restaurant behind the resort called ‘Wonderland’, it is always busy, very good food and very reasonable prices!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

After reading the mixed reviews from TA, where the negatives far out beat the positives one, we came to this hotel with just the slightest expectation. As the saying goes, surprises creeps in when one least expect, which is true in our case, no pun intended.

As a start, after reading all the negatives reviews, I decided to exchange a few emails with the hotel executives which is not my norm to do so, but to play safe, I did call and write to them to ensure we have a newly renovated, higher floor room, and I would to ensure the hotel 'reserved' to us a queen size room instead of 2 single, because we will be only checking in near midnight due to a late night flight into Langkawi, although the former room is combined with 2 single beds.

Due to our flight delayed, we arrived at the hotel near midnight and the check-in was very smooth. I did request for a higher floor room but they can only accommodate us in the 1st floor, which is also the lowest floor for the guest room, but as a consolation to our utterly dismayed, we do get a newly renovated queen size room, having a seafront view.

The deluxe room is just average in size and fit comfortably with 2 adults with a small wardrobe to stow a piece of medium sized luggage. Literally, there is no much space left to move around in the room. It is ashamed that we can only partially see the magnificent seafront view in the day time because its blocked by some of the trees and it will be a perfect picturesque if we were to stay in the higher floor.

The room is clean and the bed is firm. There is basic tea and coffee making facilities and the minibar functioning well too. As the hot shower is operated using the solar power system, it takes about 3-5 mins to heat up the water. The water pressure is good and the hot shower works perfectly.

The surrounding of the hotel are well kept and clean especially their garden and pool area. The room comes with buffet breakfast. The breakfast has limited choices of food, and the quality and taste of the food can be further improved. There's omelette station, which the omelette are perfectly done. As we are putting 6 days in the hotel, we simply just can't eat the same food on the 4th day, so we decided to just eat outside on the remaining days. It will be great if the resort able to provide options for the guests to either book the hotel room which comes with or without breakfast.

We've encounter a hiccup when comes to housekeeping service on our 1st night. We've placed the "Please Makeup the room" sign outside our room before we went out in the morning. We were astonished when we see the same sign hanged outside our room later in the evening and to my disappointment, our room is not cleaned for that day. I called the housekeeping around 6pm and the staff told me our room is not cleaned because there is a "Do not disturb" sign hanged outside our room, which is not the case. They must have mistakenly read the sign and further to that, she said all the maid has gone back and basically we would have to wait until the next morning to get our room cleaned. I asked if she can just get someone to at least send us the fresh towels and bath gel and she promised she will try to get someone to do it later. The second surprises given by the resort for the evening was there's still no fresh towels and bath gel after we came back from dinner around 11pm. I called the housekeeping n there's no one picking up the phone, and I have no choice but to call the front desk and the staff told me the housekeeping is closed and she is not sure she can even get us fresh towels as the storeroom is locked. I have to explain the whole incident all over again and the housekeeping staff literally didn't keep her promise. After an hour of waiting, the staff is kind enough to send us fresh towels and bath gels. We've learnt from our bitter lesson and for the coming few days, we just don't hang any signage outside our room and to do a reminder at the front desk every morning before we go out to ensure our room is cleaned for that day.

The water of the infinity swimming pool which facing the seafront is clean. The pool size is average and the pool area can be quite noisy and crowded especially during the evening. The resort have basic facilities and if you are looking for a luxurious and relaxing holiday resort with sandy beach, this is definitely not the right place for you. Nevertheless, it is definitely suitable for holiday makers who just need a clean room to sleep and not more. Overall, the resort shall deserve between a 3.0 to 3.5 points and not beyond that.

Room Tip: Try to request higher floor room with seafront view for nicer view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LWilsonn
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We booked 2 connecting rooms and stayed there for two nights. Requested for the newly renovated rooms. The rooms were clean and can see that the furniture were new. However, although they were newly renovated, the aircon in one of the rooms was leaking badly, with water dripping all over the floor. The safe in the other room was spoilt. The TV in one of the rooms was blurry and kept having disturbances. It was impossible to watch anything. Breakfast was below average, not much selection but we could do with that.

The thing that made us totally pissed off was the attitude of the staff at the swimming pool. He's also in charge of the pool towels. After we had swam with our kids, I wrapped my 2 year old toddler in a pool towel and was about to leave the pool to return to our room to shower. My child was shivering as she was feeling cold after swimming. The towel guy saw us leaving, came and told me to return him the pool towels. (By the way, each room was only allocated 2 towels).

I told him that my child was shivering. I needed to wrap her with the towel. Told him that I will personally return the towel to him, after settling my child in our room. He refused and demanded that I unwrap my child and return him the towel NOW! Because pool towels are NOT ALLOWED in the rooms! He was totally rude and demanding. We were pissed off by his attitude. It's only a cheap towel, man!

This is one hotel which we will never return, if given a choice. And we won't recommend it to others too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sarahtoh75
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Based on the mixed bag of reviews, I decided to only book this hotel for one night to see if I like it. During check-on I mentioned that I might stay longer if it turns out to be a nice place, but the staff told me that regrettably the resort was already fully booked for the following night. For this feat I must truly congratulate them, as it turned out there is no way I can think how this kind of hotel can be fully booked!

Bella Vista looks unique from outside, with a tacky Disneyland castle style appearance that somehow intrigued me, but inside it is an aging complex that regrettably does not offer very good experiences or value for money in any way.

Check-in staff was nondescript; security guard on the other hand was very helpful and assisted in carrying luggage and finding my room, reachable by elevators that are without doubt among the slowest I have ever seen in my lifetime, of which using them stole an unproportionally great part.

The room itself - which was not the cheapest one and I believe had been recently renovated - was clean but rather uninspirational despite some attempt with colours and lights, and could be improved further with little investment. Even a simple cornice board would bring more depth and dimension to the cubic space that most reminds a dormitory room. There was no WiFi, a problem that would be easily remedied by placing some network stations at the opposite building, so that it would work at least by the windows.

The view to the sea, unfortunately not from my room but from the main building and the beach, is very beautiful indeed. However it is pretty much seen in a few hours or so, and the rocky beach is totally useless (inaccessible) for swimming purposes. One is therefore limited to the swimming pool, which I did not try as I found it too small and crowded, albeit well located. I had a few drinks at the beach bar which commands great views over the surrounding area.

Both of the restaurants nearest to the hotel seemed to be serving Thai food, a fact that made me quite delighted, and I can confirm the closer one, while nearly empty, was indeed serving authentic Thai cuisine at very affordable prices.

At the end of the day, the very best attribute of this hotel may in fact be its proximity to the ferry pier, from where a ferry leaves for Thailand several times daily. After a somewhat bland breakfast at the hotel I checked out and hurried to the first Satun ferry at 9.00 to find better accommodation on the other side of the border.

Room Tip: Rooms without seaview are not worth a stay.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Hotel is located in the heart of kuAh town facing the sea. Western style architectural similar to english tudor castle makes this hotel unique. However the hotel is poorly maintained as you can see broken lighting on the ceiling and walls, rusted grills,railings and unclean roof. I was on a working trip for 3 days and stayed in a superior room. The room is relatively small, u can't enjoy the shower because of low pressure ( the hotel is using solar energy for heater), basically the room is good for short term stay.dining and lobby of the hotel are not equipped with air condition and these makes me uncomfortable when having lunch. Moreover malaysia is not a cold country to have an open concept dining. Talking about food.. I prefer to have my breakfast at food stalls because hotel foods are terrible...there are plenty of local foods restaurant available in the town... For shopaholic this is the best place as it is surrounded with various duty free shops in kuah town...

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuah
Bayview Hotel Langkawi
Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Langkawi
Langkawi Seaview Hotel
Langkawi Seaview Hotel
#35 of 104 in Langkawi

Been to Bella Vista Waterfront? Share your experiences!