“Enjoyable 4th visit but we wont be coming back.”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
co durham uk
“Enjoyable 4th visit but we wont be coming back.”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at Pelangi for 2 weeks on All inclusive basis,in a pool view room(we contacted the hotel direct with regard to an upgrade on the room) and paid a daily upgrade on departure,but it was well worth it.
All INCLUSIVE-We have never had the opportunity before to stay here on this basis but knowing the prices both in the hotel and outside (yes it was cheaper on the street but still not cheap)decided to go for this option.The all inclusive literally covered everything from all food ,snacks and a wide choice of non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks the mini bar was included and room service (although we never used room service).We ate predominantly in the Thai restaurant where chef pong was most helpful and all his staff very attentive even dressing the table each night to make us feel special.The bbq was good although it lacked choice of salads and accompaniments to go with the prawns,mussels,lobster tail,fish,chicken,beef lamb etc and is in a nice location on the beachfront.
The spicemarket at breakfast was an absolute nightmare and the quality has defineatly dropped to our last visit.Quite often it was hard to get a seat or you waited a long time for tea and coffee we eventually gave up and had an early lunch !Lunch was good but is the same menu as a night time and it doesnt take long to work through it,however they did make a dish upon request for us not on the menu and it was delicious
The lounge-The girls in the lounge made us very welcome and were very attentive,its a shame the music was the same each night after 2 weeks it gets to you a bit,but the managemant are aware of this and are looking to change the entertainment.
Yes the drinks are expensive ,and this does prevent guests from staying in the hotel.
The pool areas are kept spotless and although the toilets are "old" they are kept clean.
The second week of our stay it was busy and more difficult to get sunbeds by the pool ,but there are plenty on the beach although the sea isnt good for swimming at this time of year due to jellyfish.
The room-Ours was fine,no issues at all and was kept spotless by housekeeping.Please note the bats people are talking about are part and parcel of the resort and there are information leaflets telling you about these and other animals.They eat mosquitos for goodness sake and are harmless to us.!
The resort does a fogging programme to try and eliminate as many mosquitos as possible.i am sure these are the cause of peoples bites and not fleas.
Overall we had a really good time,met some great people and relaxed which is all you can basically do in langkawi.We hired a car for the day and did cable car,and all the waterfalls on the island well worth doing and no problems as they drive on our side,you can even go to the mangrove swamp and sort your own tour.
We like langkawi but unfortunately it will be our last visit not because of the hotel but because it has lost its unspoilt splendour.There are jetskis roaring and parascending by the dozen ,the beach is no longer your own.It great to see the island thriving but im so glad we saw it before everyone else !!!

Room Tip: Go all inclusive its worth every penny
1 Thank traveling-mackem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 23 April 2011

If you're expecting 5 star luxury, or go looking for faults, I can agree with most of the previous negative reviews, but for us the Pelangi offered a wonderful family holiday and we felt the positives far outweighed the negatives. This is a beautiful resort and setting with a relaxed enough atmosphere to not worry about the kids making too much noise in the pool, whiist the grownups can still feel they are getting a touch of luxury ( albeit one that needs a bit of a make-over in places). There were enough kids around for ours to make friends ( we visited in the Easter holidays), although the resort is large enough for it not to feel over run with children, but still maybe not the most romantic place you're a honeymooning couple.
I loved the hammocks around the pool and on the beach , and the pools are great, if rather warm by the end of the day. The beach is only a few steps away from the main pool, with swaying palm trees inbetween. We had a pool view room over-looking the cascade pool, which although quieter than the main pool still had a great atmosphere. Both pools have water slides, which were much used.We had a ground floor room, which I would recomend if you are by the pool or beach, as you have steps leading straight from your balcony down to the pool/ beach. We had an end room, which had a balcony about 3 times the size of some of the other rooms, so I'd suggest getting one of these if you get the choice. All four of us shared one room ( children aged 5 and 7), which was fine, although there were only 3 single beds in the room when we arrived, although a qucik call to housekeeping provided us with a 4th bed ( I've read somewhere that there is an extra charge for this, although we didn't get charged. Having four beds in the room meant that we pretty much slept in a line, but the beds were comfy and we still manged to get a good nights sleep. The aircon worked fine, and we got an extra key so we could keep it on when we were out; not very enviornmentally friendly maybe, but it was lovely to come back to a cool room after the heat outside. Bathroom was very small and not up to much ( and I think we were in one of the renovated rooms), but then how much of your holiday do you spend in the bathroom? We did get ants if we left any food out, but expected as much in a hot country. Breakfast wasn't that great, and the restaurant was too hot to enjoy the food; probably would skip the breakfast option if we came again. Staff were mixed; the resort seems too big to have a real personal touch, but the buggy men were really friendly.
For us, the biggest plus about the Pelangi is it's location, on a beautiful beach which you can walk down to laid back beach bars and restaurants where you dine with your feet in the sand. Cenang beach is a great place where you can chill out with travellers and feel young again! We actually came here about 15 years ago ( staying in a beach hut and looking in awe at the Pelangi), and it was great to see that the beach hasn't changed that much, and although a lot more shops and cafes have sprung up along the road it still didn't feel over- developed.
So, overall a 5 star holiday in a 4 star resort. If I was mangement there, 3 changes I would make to bring it up to scratch would be to upgrade and clean the toilets in the public areas ( better toilets in service stations), put airconditioning in some of the public areas, and make the drinks a bit cheaper ( in which case, people may be more inclined to use the hotel restuarants in the evening ( the food didn't seem too overpriced, but the beers were 3 times the price of anywhere else along the beach).
Wouldn't hesitate to come back if we get the chance.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Unfortunately we were disappointed when we first arrived, the foyer was being renovated and the resort and our room were run down and not as nice as we had expected. However we decided to get on with enjoying ourselves. We had a beach facing room with a lovely view from our balcony of the beautiful beach and its white sand. The pool was large and very nice with a swim up bar. We enjoyed sitting by the pool during the day and being served drinks and food by the friendly staff, we especially loved happy hour which was great value. Breakfast was average but adequate. We did not eat at the hotel restaurants as they were too expensive and not much atmosphere but the location of the resort is excellent with a long strip of shops and restaurants at reasonable prices and a great variety of food. The beach is also lovely to walk along in the morning or evening and we went jet skiing and parasailing. Taxis are readily available and we loved going to the langkawi cable car. Unfortunately the resort is in need of an upgrade and is overpriced. The rooms are traditional style and made of timber however we could hear bats in the roof and one night were woken to find a bit flying around the room! There were ants in the bathroom and my husband thinks he got bitten by fleas. The gardens and grounds were kept neat and tidy.

Room Tip: Get a pool or beach room and NOT a lake view room
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Wow we had a great time here! Our room was very spacious with a large bathroom, heaps of storage, A/C, TV and minibar.

Loads of activities at this resort including 2 (yes 2!) squash courts which were actually great courts. There was table tennis, chess, scrabble, jet skiing, 2 fantastic large pools, massage, loads of places to lounge etc.

Also, one cool feature was the 'umbrella' trees that were specially cultivated to give shade. There was also a few hammocks around the place to laze on.

The 3 restaurants were all good but the Thai was our favourite. Room service was good and timely.

The staff were of a very very high standard and were very attentative and helpful. The food and drink were great. I recommend checking out the live band at the Pelangi Lounge and knocking back a few "Swizzle" cocktails.

The jet skis were of great quality and fast - a blast.

Lots of random tame cats around the resort which we thought were cute, not so good if you are allergic or scared though. They seemed healthy and happy.

Room Tip: Ground Floor is best I think!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Well located to lots of restaurants and shopping. Most relaxing ambience. Right on the beach. Not far from airport or other attractions such as the cable car. Plenty of taxis to take you anywhere you want to go at a fixed price. Very enjoyable. Very comfortable and spacious room with lovely verandah, fans and aircon. Great pools.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view close to main pool.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We have just returned from a stay at the Meritus Pelangi in Langkawi and have to express our disappointment in the hotel. From check-in, we were greeted for the most part with surliness and a seeming lack of interest. Although some staff members dained to smile and behave somewhat pleasantly, the majority were bored and uninterested in pleasantries. We were booked into a Lake View room on the first floor of one the buildings. The lakes themselves were filthy and stagnant, with rubbish floating in the water. Our room looked alright upon arrival - interesting decor with lots of dark wood and low lighting. One of the first things my husband noticed (of course!) was that the television was possibly older than me - not a common sight in hotels these days, which usually strive to regularly maintain standards; not so at the Meritus. We were of course not there to watch television so let it go quite happily.

On our first night in this room we slept poorly due to strange noises, and the second night proved why - I was awoken by a bat flying around the room and around my head. My husband managed to get the bat out of the room, but we could still hear scratching in the high beamed ceiling - later the maintenance gentleman from the hotel came to spray the room and fix any apparent holes, and admitted that he had found several other bats lodging in the beams. I was disgusted that a hotel can apparently neglect its maintenance so much that holes have appeared in the ceilings allowing rodents to get into the rooms. Add to this the fact that animal faeces (my husband says bat, the hotel says lizard, I don't care which; it's faeces) was repeatedly found on our room floor, and we were not happy. After several phone calls we were moved to a ground floor room, also Lake View (chance of upgrade by way of an apology = 0. Fair enough, but missed a good chance to make a positive gesture). The head of housekeeping was very kind, as were the cleaning staff who did their best to ensure our new room was clean, and we did appreciate that. What a shame the rest of the staff didn't follow suit.

If you do decide to stay here, be prepared for high prices for food and drinks and terrible room service over the phone (wrong orders, being interrupted repeatedly, being shouted at upon answering - "yes yes yes it's coming!!" etc.). The hotel charges 10% 'service charge' on top of all F&B prices, adding to the already high cost for very average food. We also stayed at another hotel on the island (which I won't name as don't want to discredit this review) and the food there was half the price, and the same quality.

The pool areas are both pleasant - old metal sunbeds, but nice pools. If you need the loo though I suggest you go back to your room, as the 'public' toilets around the hotel are old and dirty looking.

Overall we were very unhappy with this hotel, and would not return nor recommend it to anyone. It's old, very poorly maintained, and definitely not worth anywhere near the prices they charge. The staff for the most part do nothing to add to the place, with surly attitudes and too many blank faces in response to a "good morning" from guests.

Considering that there are several lovely boutique resorts on the island, I would never again choose the Meritus. I wish now that I had booked earlier and stayed somewhere else (as we left it late availability was low). If you're after an island Butlins, this place might be for you - for a romantic get-away, avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid Lake View, go for ground floor
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We booked 2 connecting rooms from March 28th to April 3rd .A couple that had just arrived 30 minutes before was checking out. That should have been a red flag! we got our key and they left us 15 minutes standing waiting for the golf car to take our luggage and us. I had to tell remind them we were waiting for the golf cart.
We got 1 of the 2 rooms, We got our second room at 4:07! When I called to inquire about Internet access I was told it was MR 24 an hour or MR 50 a day (like $11 a day) when the people from reservations had told me that it’d be $11 for the whole stay!! I complained to the staff about this and the fact that it took 2 hours after I had arrived to get the connecting room. I also said there were fleas in the room. The person said they had a huge conference going on so I had to understand. I told her if they can’t manage then they should not book more rooms. She said she’d check with reservations (to make sure I was not lying) she called me back and apologized for the mistake and agreed to charge me 20 MR per Internet access a day (which they wrote on my booking)
The rooms were FLEA infested! The bathrooms have white tiles so they were easier to see, but the fleas where everywhere. Jumping on the beds, the floor and of course jumping on us. The next day I went to speak with the checkout woman and told her the room had fleas that we wanted to leave. She said to let them clean the room and then if we were not happy the manager on duty could let us check out. I also told another man at reception to make sure they sprayed my room. I come back and nothing. I killed 10 fleas off the bathroom floor . They did not spray any of the rooms. The FLEAS were jumping on me! I have over 60 flea bites to prove it.

Furious I called the manager on duty who came and promised to fix things, I told him I wanted to leave and he said, let’s not talk about that. He sent people to change the sheets and a can of insecticide so I can spray the room. He later called back and took us to another room, beach front with no live fleas (we did find a dead flea on the mini bar) Anyway, we already had the Fleas with us, so we continued to get bitten. These rooms were nicer and the manager was helpful, but I had told 2 people about the fleas and they acted like nothing, they did not care we were getting bitten.

On top of that they charged me MR 50 for Internet access, instead of the MR 20 agreed, I called and was told they would fix it, which of course they didn’t.
I do not recommend that hotel, the staff is not helpful, the rooms have fleas, there are mosquitoes everywhere and the staff simply does not care, A dead lizard near the Spice market restaurant was left there for over 2 days, we left and it was still there, decomposing.
I would never go back, even if the stay were free.

Room Tip: Do not go there!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 103 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,301 reviews
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!