“4 star experience”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed 18 November 2013

On 14/11/13, my wife and I came to Langkawi for our first time and we decided to stay in Meritus Pelangi Beach. Upon our arrival, I find that the lobby was quite dim and the exterior of my chalet was quite dull and old looking. However, I was impressed with the bathroom as it was quite spacious and the view from my balcony (lake view) which was fabulous especially at night .
To summarize, I simply loved the view of the beach, the room and food ! Would consider coming back for the 2nd time.

The chalet - Deluxe Garden Terrace

Pros:
- Great breakfast, (International buffet)
- Spectacular view of the beach
- Spacious bathroom
- Nice balcony view
- Friendly staff
- near to the airport
- Buggy service from main lobby to chalet (only during check in)

Cons:
- The walking distance from our chalet to the main lobby. (should have buggy service made available upon request)
- Dull looking exteriors, needs some renovation work or touch up as it look quite old

Room Tip: Opt for the "Beach view", if you have the money.
1  Thank Spartacus_x24x
tm020847, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and - hopefully - will return. Thank you for your kind review which I share with my team for further improvement.
Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (4,143)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Definitely on of the best beach resort hotel I have stayed in. The fine crystal sand beach and lovely traditional Malay design structure with all the modern facilities in the room make this hotel one of the best in Langkawi. The buffet breakfast was filled with a wide choice of dishes from oriental to middle-eastern and western food. The staff were so friendly and always smiling. Special mention goes to Mr. Yusuf the Bellman very helpful and cheerful. The reception were so kind enough to grant us a late check-out, they even allowed us to use the sports complex toilet after our late check-out, to clean-up as our flight was late in the night. We also enjoyed the BB dinner. Location wise is excellent.

Room Tip: Worth it especially the veranda facing the garden or sea
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for your kind words! I am happy to hear that you had a perfect vacation at our resort and in Langkawi in general. I will share your comments with my team, as such feedback is positive reinforcement of the behavior we ask them to show to our guests.
Again, my sincere appreciation!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very nice hotel set in beautiful gardens which lead on to a white powdery sand beach and clear blue sea. Great for a long weekend getaway from Singapore. Excellent buffet breakfast with HUGE selection. Nice large rooms, but I would prefer a wooden or tiled floor rather than carpeted.
Only down side was that bottled water was extremely expensive (more than a can of beer or pop) and we only had 2 small free ones in the room per day.......management please take note and consider leaving more bottles or at least a jug of iced tea in each room. There were 2 lovely swimming pools and the whole experience was very relaxing. It reminded me of Bali but without the hassle and a lot nearer to Singapore. Plus only 10 mins by taxi to the airport

Room Tip: We had one over looking the lake but did get a few mosquito bites. The beach front ones are great if...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear GinaNamini
My team and I are happy that you were happy here at the Meritus Pelangi Resort and we hope you will return soon!
Thanks!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

One of the best stay in our whole life in your resort and unforgettable memories. The best thing I liked about the hotel was the service, there was a very friendly staff and we felt like we were at home. We found a great atmosphere. The hotel situated at best location in langkawi.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Eisha2004

Dear Eisha2004
Thanks so much for your fantastic review. WOW - we seem to have done everything right!
We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future!
Again our sincere appreciation!

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed 5nights 5to 10th November.excellent pools, were beautiful, breakfast was great plenty for everyone.indoor or out. Relaxing on the beach chairs.do as much or as little.lots of water sports.Rooms very big And clean e/cellent service a friendly staff

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jenf61

Dear guest,
my team and I thank you very much for your kind review. It has been a pleasure having you here with us.
Again, our sincere thanks!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel was a little more expensive than ones we stayed at in KL and also more expensive that the Taj on Rebak Island. I actually preferred the intimacy of the Taj but my husband preferred this hotel as it was very similar in style and facilities but on the main Langkawi Island so easier to go out to places at night. The room was lovely, the pool was great. We did not eat main meals here but breakfast was included so I always headed to breakfast and there was a lovely selection of fresh fruit, eggs, meats, curries, in fact anything to suit anyone. Malaysia is such a mix of cultures that the food always reflected this so wherever you eat, there is always an abundance of choice and always delicious.

Room Tip: Chose one away from the area near the reception as there are a lot of children's play areas so i...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thanks for your kind review. I have share your favorable comments with my team and we hope to be able to welcome you again in the not-too-distant future.
Cheers!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Summary:
+ Big resort grounds with all the amenities.
+ Nice rooms.
+ Two big pools.

- Smoking at the breakfast buffet!
- Not really relaxing.
- Ceiling fan too noisy, get sick from a/c.

Details:
We had just started our breakfast when suddenly a thick cloud of tobacco smoke comes our way. In fact, there was someone smoking almost all the time from then on and it was very disturbing.
When asked, staff said that only inside was non-smoking.
Even if there were enough seats inside for all the non-smokers, in a resort, I want to enjoy my breakfast on the patio and not inside where it's cold and noisy.

This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Big kids area right next to the main pool, big beach bar/restaurant with DJ behind, pumping music super loudly as if it were a night club. (Psy's new 'hit' song "gentleman" blasted constantly – unbearable)
The second pool (a bit far) is nice though.

Airliners pass 300m above the resort every 10-20 minutes as the runway is in direct line of the resort. Noisy! (but I like planes).

Our ceiling fan was very noisy and couldn't be used at night. The a/c's lowest fan setting was still much too strong and we (+baby) all got sick and are still coughing and sneezing 3 days after we're back home.

Smaller faults:
- When we had the 'don't disurb' sign out, houskeeping called us (waking us +baby up) to ask if they could come clean now.
- Upon arrival, there were only 3 drinks in the fridge, so we called housekeeping (twice) to either empty it or restock fully – they never came, leaving us worried that we'd get mistakenly charged.
- Just a handful of tv channels, mostly local.
- Cheesy new-age music at breakfast.
- Beach is white and big but view not so pretty and can't swim because of jelly fish.

In conclusion, if you're a smoker and like loud music, the kids will probably ruin your party mood. If you're a parent, the smoking around your kids and the very loud music near the kids pool area will surely disturb you.
This resort could be much better (mostly with very little effort). We left disappointed (*and sick from the a/c) and we since cancelled our plans to go back next year with extended family.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms nice. Pool view best. Beach view probably not worth it. Upstairs rooms have nice w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank adealidemango

Thanks for your review.
I apologize sincerely for the short-comings you experienced while staying with us. The issue you brought up have been discussed with all concerned and will hopefully not recur in the future.
You'll be glad to hear that we have since revised our non-smoking rules and extended it to the terrace area as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang
Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!