“I spent very good time in it and the stuff there were perfect espically a cute respetion girl her name was Reezu”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed 26 June 2014

She was helpful and kept smiling and the buggies drivers all of them were very friendly
Wish to meet them all again

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Takwad
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Takwad
Thanks for your kind review and your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your comments with Reezu and the buggy drivers.
Thanks!

There are newer reviews for Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi

Reviewed 26 June 2014

First off, friendly staff, good rooms and good location and nice enough hotel. We found the spa was very good but alas, the food was poor. If you want to have breakfast there, then go really early before the masses turn up. We dined in room and the Cba and was not impressed at all and so we didn't eat there after that.

But you can relax and unwind here and that was all we were looking for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoftusroadW12

Dear LoftusroadW12
Thank you for your review of our property.
I apologise that the food wasn't to your liking in any of our restaurants and Room Service.
I have discussed your comments with our Chef for improvement.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights before heading to Penang. The check in was quick and the lady who checked us in was professional and riendly, gave us a map of the hotel and circled where buffet breakfast was served, the pools, our room, gym etc., then welcome drinks arrived, a very pleasant start. The lobby area is stunning, made of beautiful hard wood with huge fans and high ceilings.

Golf cart then took us and luggage to our room, that was upgraded from a garden room to a lake room. Room was immaculate, modern and huge, huge even for a our family of 2 husband, wife and 2 young children and beds very comfortable. The only rooms I wouldn't recommend or would request not to have are the pool ones over looking the kids pool area, we looked at them and thought that is like getting a short a straw.

Breakfast served in the spice market was very good, well laid out, tasty and like all the staff in the hotel the spice market was no different, the staff very friendly. We also had the buffet BBQ dinner, this was great, the dessert buffet was sensational.

Pools are perfect and well laid out, great kids pool with slide, then over a walk bridge the bigger pool area, 2 further spa pools. This was huge and clean. To relax further the other huge pool is aimed more at couples with a great swim up bar, this is another great pool.

The whole resort is beach front and a 4 minute walk to the start of the restaurant/shopping street. If you really don't want to walk the hotel will get you a taxi for RM10 ($3.30 AUD) to take you to the middle of the street (shopping mall).

All staff at this hotel are friendly, professional, know their roles and are well trained.

The only down side is we didn't swim in the beach due to jelly fish but walking along the beach was pleasant and also another great way to walk to the shops or out for dinner.

We stayed at 4 hotels over our holiday and we asked the kids their favourite and they chose this hotel. It was a great 4 star hotel all round and if visiting Langkawi again we would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. However if you want a pool view request not to have the one overlooking the kid...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lozzyj1911

Dear lozzyj1911
Thank you so much for the review and your very kind comments about our facilities and service.
I am happy to learn that you were totally satisfied with your stay! Thanks!
T

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My airport contact was present at the airport and I was whisked to my waiting transport for a short drive to the Meritus resort. The driver gladly shared his knowledge of the area and provided tourist tips for a pleasant stay. The resort presents very well and one immediately feels that enjoyable relaxation is at hand. Indeed it was...Nirvana was achievable...! On arrival, I was welcomed (Selamat Datang to me...) by hostess Mademoiselle Shovana who quickly attended to clearance by the reservation desk, and basic information about all amenities within the resort (restaurants/massage/spa facilities, Naam water sports & trips/sea adventures, internet, shops, taxis etc..) were provided and a buggy drove me to my beachfront room with a view. Many thanks to Ms Shovana who most professionally attended to all my queries during my stay. She proved to be most discreet, efficient and also so very pleasant indeed. Her professionalism set the tone for expected..."belle vacances".

An exploratory jog around the large resort was very relaxing indeed and provided an excellent profile of its environment, and the tropical climate got me ready for my first refreshing swim. The clean, white beach invites and one is swayed by well-trimmed she oaks & coconut palms lining the water's edge. The hip CBA bar/resto offers all food services & beverages, all day and late into the night, with trendy musicians singing away, as one drifts into total holiday mode. The 100 metres stroll, either to my room or for a light meal becomes so demanding...that I rely on bar services by a staff member who elegantly manages to move orders nonchalantly balancing various drinks trays as one cycles along the beach path to refresh salty throats.

The rooms are spacious, well appointed & decorated with dulcet tones, thus very pleasant. The bathroom offered sea views and was deep enough. The large bed was "smooth" and relaxing, enticing me to excellent night sleeps. Nothing to fault. To ensure my utmost comfort, my principal room maid, Ms Shafiqua, proved an utmost professional who delivered, on a daily basis, faultless room service. Congratulations to Shafiqua and her colleague, Ms Rosilah, as well as an unknown young man also for excellence in room service. I slept like an angel...that I am...!
The "petit déjeuner" from 7am to 10am gives one ample time to jog along the beach, swim and then start the chase for mini croissants, omelettes, and/or Asian style breakfasts of multiple noodles, hot crunchy rotis and other hot Asian delicacies. Various breads are on offer and the cheese platter, consistent could have been more varied though. That's personal as one enjoys one's 'fromages'. One 'negative' for the kitchen; Never ask me to eat "stale" petits pains (min dinner rolls). "Jamais" as in NEVER. The then breakfast lunch rolls had been reheated for dinner. I did not raise this minor gastronomic "disaster" to the attention of responsible staff as in the overall balance, all food were excellent as well as the services provided by all staff. Remember: my ancestors started the French Revolution because of lack of bread...Sacrébleu.

The main resto (out of 3), the Spice Market is an experience to behold as it "very efficiently" attends to the peak hours demands by hungry guests. The scene is immensely..."HECTIC', and all staff competently attend to their respective duties, with a smile...of course. Bravo. It churns an astonishing array of multiple gastronomic delights to tantalise and satisfy the most demanding of gluttons (like me), either buffet style & a la Carte (non...a la "Karte"), which amusingly caught my hungry glance at the menu. Malay, as well as other Asian & European dishes abound and it becomes a "gourmand" ritual to decide which food to taste. The mini entrées are cleverly displayed around the main, centre stage food carrousel, and one can easily reach the salads & fresh fruits also on offer. Indulge in sweet mangoes, papayas, longans, pineapples, and other exotic fruits. Various fragrant curries (seafood, beef, lamb, chicken etc..) make their regular appearances as well as a good choice of different vegetables in various spicy sauces. Two duty managers confirmed that all meats are "certified halall" as many visitors are obviously of the Islamic faith. As the western dictum demands that...when in Rome...!!!
The wine list is pleasant and the choices were adequate, divided amongst Australian, New Zealand vintages, Italian and French cuvées as well as the known Champagne classics.

So many good restaurants fail because of poor service and solemn (sour...? staff. I noticed a sign on one of the kitchen doors, inviting staff to SMILE, and I observed attentively as they served the customers. They all SMILED as they provide directions to tables, advice on dishes options and quickly attended to the clean up. Entrance to the restaurant was handled by senior staff, Ms Samidah & Mr Jamil amongst others who managed relevant room registrations, and ensured the flow of guests to their respective tables.
The junior staff were well trained as they established contact with guests who cared for infants & families etc. I got to know many during their alternating shifts. I remember the young damselles naming but a few: Siti, Ummi, Anita, Davita and al...all dedicated to their duties, When many remembered my menu choices and which wines I chose, I was convinced that we would become friends. All were very observant and efficient, even (playboy) Tan and his expressive smile. If such Junior staff keeps being properly trained and developed, the service standards will just improve to new (high) levels. They were all impressive in service delivery and all of them brought their individual charm and personal touches to my table. Such dedication impressed me so much and made my meals so much tasty indeed. Congratulations to all for your excellent service...above expectations. Terima Gasih to all. Hungry memories for me....but not hungry enough to "devour" the 3 wandering cats lurking among the dining area. As I dislike cats, watch out next time...!!!

By the way, WHO ordered a cake for my birthday...? This remains a delicious mystery to me. What a touch of class indeed...though I need to jog 2 more kms to waste the excess, I put on..May be, it was a wicked present to ensure my sweetness...? Was it the ladies at the spa centre who organised this delicate treat. I was touched. So...TERIMA KASIH to whoever...!

Just when I thought to myself that I was in Nirvana...I discovered the massage/spa centre. I fell into the magical, relaxing and soothing hands of Ms Linda and colleagues. That brought about a total sense of well being as I melted away into deep relaxation. Congratulations for providing such professional and enjoyable experience which refreshed my senses and rejuvenated my tired bones. After such heavenly treatment, I felt fit to tackle my next adventure.

And, the last major temptation was to go on excursions and the visit to some of the 99 surrounding islands was magnificent. The hotel's excursions staff provided me with a selection of options, and when I chose the trip on the MV (jetboat...) Sea Falcon, the NAAM water sports team jumped to action. Starting at 9.30am, I returned to the hotel at 13.30pm having spent enjoyable hours visiting stunning islands, especially the one called : Pregnant Maiden island. An extinct (!) crater with spectacular views. However, in this instance, I wish to raise the issue of "Duty of Care" from the NAAM organisation. NAAM should warn visitors to the "Pregnant Maiden" that there is a 'STEEP" climb to the top of the crater and a very "STEEP" descent to the bottom, followed by another difficult climb up & down (again) back to the bay where one's boat is awaiting. If one is NOT FIT enough, one can suffer, either muscular (leg) or heart problems which, in some cases "may" prove to be fatal indeed. Such unexpected "HEALTH" mishaps may cause long term physical problems for so many as well as engaging serious industrial (travel insurance) disputes with the local NAAM organisation. There should be warnings advising prospective visitors that access to the "Pregnant Maiden" can be at one's risks....!!!! Also, with cheeky monkeys intent on stealing whatever tickle their "animal" fancies.
Island hopping in the jet boat is a refreshing and very enjoyable adventure. Unfortunately, a tasty lunch was had at what looked a secluded beach which was littered with rubbish. What a shame. The last island on the tour brought me to "Eagle Island", an amazing sanctuary for majestic eagles where one is surrounded by as much as 100 + birds of prey. Absolutely unique & stunning sight indeed. Magnificent preservation. Bravo.

As it happens, I was at the resort during a school holiday weekend and the buggies were in full demand. Maybe, Meritus should invest into the purchase of a few more to facilitate movement around the resort, especially for services to the massage/spa centre which runs on appointments.

The children playground, next to both large swimming pools, is imaginative enough to cater for childrens' fun, offering many different water games options. The menacing green dragon spits buckets of water over childrens' heads, and in fright...they all scream in laughter...!!!

The inviting holiday brochure provided by Meritus Pelangi, Langkawi promised high class services and attractions and it delivered on all it promises. It is a beautiful resort.

I recommend the Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort on Langkawi to others who may look for a well organised island to get away from the rat race. Speaking of rats, I shall import some to the resort to feed the roaming cats....!!!

PS: Finally, please note that there were NO files (in my soup) or mosquitoes (under my bed), nor any of those nominated insects to be found anywhere around the resort. The Pest Inspector did visit my balcony to destroy a potential threat by a "posse" of menacing red ants.

Room Tip: Beach front room suited me as the views are magic.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank paris69_10
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear paris69_10
Thanks for your extensive review of your stay with us! I am glad to learn that we were able to have you with us as a happy guest and I will definitely share your remarks with those staff you mentioned.
Again, my sincere appreciation!
T

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed 3 nights with the family in a double-storey Beachfront Chalet at this resort last weekend.
First the positives: the resort is huge with a relaxing atmosphere designed in the style of a traditional Malay village which blends nicely with the surroundings, our rooms were tastefully decorated, large and comfortable with spacious balconies overlooking great views of the ocean, the long stretch of private beach in front of the hotel is secluded and well maintained with clean white sand, it has separate pools for families and couples which is convenient, the kids area at the family pool is a star attraction for the children, there are a lot of fun indoor and outdoor activity choices for both children and adults, the golf cart service within the hotel to navigate the various resort facilities is surprisingly efficient, it is located conveniently close to a main street with many F&B outlets and shopping options, the hotel staff were generally helpful providing service with a smile. A special word of thanks for Mr. Taren at the reception who was outstanding.
There were also a few negatives: the main restaurant, the Spice Market, does not seem to be big enough for a resort of this size and is usually over crowded for the morning breakfast, the F&B prices within the hotel are a bit too high, the room bed mattresses are on the softer side, the in-room Wi-Fi is slow and undependable, the check-in process was too long (we were however allowed access to the club lounge for the 45minutes delay, which was thoughtful).
Overall, we would still say that the positives far outweigh the negatives and this is a fantastic resort, specially for families, with great value for money. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view Chalet rooms - the views from the spacious balcony are totally worth the price...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JQMFC

Dear JQMFC
Thanks for your review and I am glad that the positive aspects of your stay out-weighted the negative. Yes, the restaurant is crowded at breakfast time - especially when the resort is running full.
Nevertheless, you are still recommending us and I thank you sincerely!
Cheers!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed for two night, booked the pool view room. My first night, since my mom could not climb up the stairs we got a room near the other pool, The Horizon pool instead of the ones near lobby. The check-in staff (Suhaimi) was very helpful and respond to my request to switch room the next day and proceed to reserve a room for us. The next morning (18/6/2014) I went and ask the reception to confirm the switch. Unfortunately, I was treated by cold shoulder by the lady staff on duty there (i regret not getting her name). She didn't even bother to ask my name and check my reservation details and simply told me I can't switch room due to non availability.
There were three of us staying there and one of us have to sleep in the extra bed, which is somewhat uncomfortable. I would like to suggest that at least extra layer of mattress is added so it wouldn't be as lumpy.
With the exception of the lumpy extra bed and the horrible lady receptionist, I enjoyed the stay. So did my family.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Shahfeeza
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the behavior of the second lady you encountered at our front desk and the lumpy mattress. We have spoken to the staff and changed the extra bed's mattress.
Thanks for letting us know.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Our stay was relaxing and we felt completely at ease throughout our stay. I enjoyed painting a picture poolside which was very relaxing and we watched every sunset over the beautiful ocean.

One area where attention is probably needed is the whole check-in process. We arrived before our check in time slighty so we were prepared for a little wait however is took around 2 and a half hours before we were eventually checked in and given the keys to the room. The extra bed which we requested was not in the room however it was delivered within about 45 minutes of getting into the room. It was however helpful that Thomas let us use the club lounge for refreshments during check-in which with a 7 month old and 2 1/2 year old it was very much appreciated.

Other than the slight delay with check-in the whole resort was just beautiful. The kids pool was perfect for what we wanted as well as the beach on your doorstep.

The staff were absolutely lovely and we particularly appreciated the service from the waitstaff in the club lounge (breakfast was amazing and the guy serving us breakfast throughout our stay was absolutely amazing and very attentive). The waitstaff in the restaurant were also fabulous and great at entertaining our children whom both very much enjoyed the attention.

Thank you all so much at the Meritus Pelangi for making our stay a wonderful one. A family holiday we will not forget. You can expect to see us back there in the future.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Annmarie C
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Annmarie C
Thanks for this review and I apologize for the delay during check-in and that you had to wait for the extra bed. During busy times this is difficult to avoid, however I am also glad that in the end you were happy.
My appreciation for your kind words about our staff and the good service they provided.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Tanjung Rhu Resort
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 104 in Langkawi
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!