“A bit disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Sydney, Australia
“A bit disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Good:

Having toured around the Island, Cenang is definitely the place to be - heaps of cafes, restaurants and centrally located with a good beach.

The room was great - spacious, super king-size bed oversize bathroom, plenty of space for suitcases etc.

Plenty of facilities - two large pools, 2 spas, numerous food outlets, friendly staff.

We went to one of the spas three times each and it was great every on every occasion.

The Not so Good:

We paid extra for a beachfront room but found ourselves 'miles' away from the central reception, dining area resulting in very tedious walks over the six days that we stayed. Also our room whilst perhaps technically beachfront was nonetheless quite isolated and needed a long walk for a swim whereas we were expecting about a ten-second stroll.

We had dinner vouchers which were only valid for the main dining area and it was always buffet, both breakfast and dinner. There was plenty of variety and huge quantities of food on offer but like most mass catering facilities, the quality was generally only mediocre.

They had a buggy service but it was totally inadequate for the size of the resort and hence if you did not to wait for ages, it was far better just to walk in the heat.

The TV service was very basic - could not even see the World Cup which was available in our 3-star hotel in Penang.

Room Tip: If you are paying for a beachfront room don't accept anything higher than 40. (We were in Block...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lexus51
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Lexus51
I apologize for not being able to meet you expectations to the fullest. Yes our resort is large - 35 acres - and some of the chalets are a bit far from the lobby/restaurants.
In spite of this, you otherwise enjoyed your stay and that counts most!
Thanks for your review.
Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Meritus Pelangi is one awesome resort. Spacious and clean rooms, sprawling resort area with private beach included. Rooms facing the beach. Excellent restaurants for every taste. The kids water play area is some thing to brag about. It has slides, waterfall and a kids pool equipped with a swirling slide that drops the kids straight in the pool. There is a family pool with an area for jacuzzi jets and a totally separate pool for adults hosting a bar within the pool. They have buggy carts all over the resort to hop on and hop off where u feel like. The staff are very well mannered and cooperative and speak good english as well. There is a cab station right outside the entrance of the hotel. Its conveniently located within walking distance(500 mtrs) to the very happening Pantai Cenang street. This is one super experience and the langkawi trip isn't 10 out of 10 if you've not stayed at the Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort and Spa !

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are good value for money. You can gaze the sun going down sitting on the easy...
2 Thank TheDubaiTraveller
Dear TheDubaiTraveller
thanks so much for you review and the kind comments you made about our resort. I am happy that you really enjoyed your stay and had a fantastic experience!
Hopefully you'll be back one of these days!
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at Meritius Pelangi for 10 days after a 2 day stay in Kuala Lumpur.
Excellent resort - rooms very spacious and well equipped.
Only 10 minute transfer from the airport.
The 2 pools are clean with lots of sunbeds.
The hotel is right on the beach which is very clean and has more sunbeds.
The breakfast in the Spice Restaurant was very good with lots of choices.
The buffet and al a carte in the Cba restaurent was excellent also.
Went for a visit to the cable cars which was half an hour by taxi, best time to go is early morning as soon as it opens, the cars get very hot and humid. Good experience.
Staff very friendly and welcoming. Tan who works in the Spice Restaurant was very friendly and always made time for a friendly chat.
Would go back.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better - less insects
4 Thank Blousy
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Blousy
thank you so much for your kind review and comments about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our little Paradise here and will recommend us!
Thanks!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Meritus Pelangi is located about 10 minutes away from the airport and close to some attractions (e.g. Underwater world).

Our stay there included an airport pickup, but to my surprise the hotels representative at airport did not have our details and no car was at airport to take us to hotel. We were asked to take a taxi at hotels expense.

Upon checking in, they could not find our reservations so I had to dig them up from my emails; luckily I didn’t delete any. We were a family of 6 and had 3 rooms reserved. Also, upon checking out the rates I had on my reservation to what I paid was different.

The room I stayed in was ok, the a/c was off when we walked in so it took about ½ - 45 minutes for room to cool down (we checked in around 8pm)- my family had same issue.

The fridge in our room was not working and had an awful smell when I opened it.

The shower was a disaster; it would always overflow and not drain properly.

The pools were nice, probably one of the nicest things in hotel. The hotel has two pools. Our room overlooked the pool and pool was easily accessible.

The beach was nice but finding towels there was a challenge.

Breakfast was average and busy.

Dinner was good and you had a nice bbq selection. The chocolate from the chocolate fountain was amazing!

The hotel crowd was interesting. You would find couples, honeymooners and families of different ages and ethnic backgrounds.

Staff was friendly and helpful. It’s nice to see a hotel that has staff members working with them for 20+ years.

Room Tip: ask for a/c to be on and make sure fridge is working!
4 Thank Nasser F
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Nasser F
Thanks for your comments. I apologize for not having the airport transfers as expected and your reservation couldn't be found.
I hope you told someone about the defects in your room, since we could have easily changed the chalet you were in for rectification.
Again my sincere apologies!
Miri, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Travelled with two young children. Very nice hotel, with 2 separate swimming pools which are great (I think one for family and another for adults. We only used the family pool area. The other pool have pool bar). The kids pool are fantastic, best we had so far, they have slides for young children, and another big kiddie pool with another bigger slide. Both my kids (one aged 2 and another is 3) loved the pool. The beach is nice too, part of it have lots of seashells and we enjoyed strolling along collecting shells as souvenir, great fun for my little girl. The breakfast is good. However, we do think that there are still rooms for improvement as the resort, although branded as family friendly, does not provide dvd players, and the buggy service shall run more frequent, reason is that it is a huge resorts, and a lot of times, we had to wait for a while to get the buggy. Whilst we were told that the buggy were charging and later found out that one of it was just sitting there (not charging) with another two that were charging. The manager was nice, very attentive to our the complains that were raised. The location is ok, as we hired a car (btw, very cheap in langkawi), we can only estimate that its probably about 15-20 mins walk to street shops and restaurant. The hotel itself is self contained with shops and restaurant.
Overall, will definitely return!!

1 Thank lilyfabuloso
Dear lilyfabuloso
I am glad you enjoyed your stay here! We are indeed looking forward to you returning and to welcome you in the not-too-distant future.
Cheers!
T
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Pelangi Beach last year and enjoyed it so much I returned this year with my boyfriend. However, my experience this year was not at the same high standard as last year.

Firstly, check-in was a bit of a confusing affair. No one directed us where to wait or sit so we stood by the desk for a while before someone told us to take a seat before taking our details.

The first room we had was pool side (although we were told at booking we'd be upgraded.) Unfortunately, it seemed that we had been placed in a block with several rooms belonging to the same family. The noise was unbearable. We noticed the noise as soon as we got into the room came from upstairs and we gave it a chance in the afternoon but when it was still there on our return from dinner, we had to change rooms. The hotel was understanding and we were given a room close by with a partial sea view.

The disappointment with our stay was with breakfast. The food wasn't what I remembered from last year and like other reviews it was much quieter if you arrived before half 8. The staff in the restaurant seemed very cold and sometimes rude, rarely greeting us or offering anything personal which was surprising as we saw the same people every morning for a week. Also, the outside tables are very cramped and often had to eat breakfast with people trying to squeeze behind us. Not what I expect from a hotel of this standard. Also, there was often a problem with our hot drink order, it either never came and we had to hunt staff down or it was not what we asked for.

The housekeeping staff and concierge staff on the other hand were very friendly and greeted us each morning.

Checking out was also a problem, I understand there is limited golf carts available but we were left waiting 30mins+ for our baggage to be collected whilst others were used to take people to the beach. I think that they should prioritise check outs, especially around 12pm, over taxi-ing people around.

Overall, I feel the Pelangi has lost its personal touch and we often started our days with a negative experience.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MooseJawSk
Dear MooseJawSk
Thanks for your review. I apologize for not being able to meet your expectations during this visit and will discuss those details with the Department Heads for improvement.
Again my apologies.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Went there with my family (6 adults and 2 children) from 20 -25 Jun 14.

Check in was a breeze. The front line staff will get you to rest at the sofa seats at the lobby with a welcome drink and will get the keys ready for you. Then they got the electric buggy to pick us to our rooms.

Rooms/Chalet was well up to expectations and is almost exactly like what you see in the pictures. They are well maintained and comfortable. Housekeeping service was also well within expectations. They will clean up the rooms only when you are out and not according to their schedule. That was fairly thoughtful of them.

Transport. As their estate is fairly big and with individual houses with 8 chalets in each, you may need their electric buggy service. We did as our chalet was at the furthest end, and we were also lazy to walk. However, at certain peak periods, you may need to wait for up to 1/2 hour for them to come fetch you. I have not much issues with that as I can see with many wanting the buggy and with limited drivers and buggy, they are trying their very best.

Buffet breakfast at the Spice Market was very good with a mix of international and asian cuisine. Quality of the food surpasses our expectations. Probably breakfast time is the only time you will get to see almost all the guest at the hotel as most wouldn't miss it.

BBQ buffet dinner at the Spice Market wasn't too good as the staff manning the BBQ wasn't efficient enough and we didn't get most of the stuff we asked them to bbq for us. Probably we were just unlucky that day.

Dinner at CBar was ok, though the price was much higher than the Spice Market for relatively the same items. You might want to give that a miss and just drink beer there and relax comfortably in the sofa seats just beside the beach.

There are 2 pools there. The main one is near the lobby and it has children's facilities which is great for my family's kids.

The only disappointment was the beach there. Though it is maintained every morning and the sand was fairly clean, my gripe was with the sea. I honestly expected the water to be much cleaner and clearer (something like Koh Samui's Chaweng beach). But then I can't fault the hotel on this as it is beyond their control.

The hotel is conveniently located at Pantai Cenang where most of the tourist shops and seafood restaurants are. It is only about 10-15 mins walk. That's a big plus point.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself there and have experienced very good hospitality. Almost all the staff there had a cheery disposition and would always greet us whenever they see us and would go out of the way with any of our requests. I would like to mention the names of the staff that provided exemplary service, but that would mean listing almost all of them there. Keep out the good work!

Cheongster72

Room Tip: As the chalets are wooded and have only 2 floors, get the 2nd floor as you wouldn't hear any foo...
1 Thank Cheongster72
Dear Cheongster72
Thank you so much for this very detailed review! I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your vacation here with us and might come back!
Cheers!
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 100 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!