We booked through a travel agent, who had received pretty good reviews regarding the Meritus Pelangi. Well, boy were they wrong!
We arrived and were sent to a some what dirty room, overlooking one of the pools. The tables hadn't been wiped in god knows how long, there were spider webs and nests throughout the room, and the bathroom, including bath/shower had hair throughout. Gross!
We decided to fork out the extra money and move to a ocean view room, in the hope that the room would be of a better standard, a 5 star standard as advertised. The view was terrific, the room was cleaner, but there were still improvements needed. The fact that everything is made from wood is a nightmare, you can hear people in the next room clearly unless they are whispering, and if you're on a lower level like we were, you'll be listening to the people above you moving around, as the sound of their footsteps is clearly audible.
The breakfast was diabolical. After staying at Shangri-la's Rasa Ria Resort in Kota Kinabalu (which by the way is unbelievable!), this was a let down of epic proportions. The hot food was terrible, pots of food swimming in oil, slop mostly, yuck! The eggs were ok, however I seemed to have a squeamish stomach each time after eating them, so I'm not exactly sure how safe they are! The toaster was a joke, and extremely frustrating. The only thing I felt that was worth while eating were the croissants, but that's not so good for the waste line! My partner enjoyed the cereal, but not the warm milk provided. The staff members were rude, most of the time they acted like you didn't exist, and if you managed to get a word out of them they made you feel like you inconveniencing them by asking them to perform a simple task.
The whole lay out of the "resort" (and I use the word resort loosely) is a nightmare really. Everything is spread out so much that it's actually possible to get disorientated and/or lost. Leaving your room, going to breakfast, collecting towels and then finding a spot on the beach or around the pool is a trek in itself.
The two pools are quite shallow, the depth of about 1.4 metres being the same throughout, which is a ridiculous design. They heat up to bath temperature by early afternoon, which takes the whole point of a refreshing swim away.
And to top off a shocking stay at the Meritus Pelangi, the incompetent receptionist handling our check-out decided to charge our credit card twice, therefore we were charged an extra 900RM! I was told that she definitely didn't double charge us, and stupidly believed her. I checked our account the next day and realised the mistake, along with the 500RM that was held as insurance on check-in, that was charged and not returned to our account. After contacting the Duty Manager (which took around 10 minutes of being passed around from person to person), we were told that the 500RM would take at least 7 days to be returned to our account, and the 900RM would be reversed as soon as possible. What a joke!
Seriously, if you want a relaxing, enjoyable stay in Langkawi, do not under any circumstances stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed in the style of a traditional Malay village, Meritus Pelangi's 355 guestrooms and suites are housed in wooden chalets that are spread across 35 acres of lush landscaped gardens along a stretch of white sandy shores. Be ushered into a world of ethnic charm and tropical tranquility at this award-winning resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelbag, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort And Spa, Langkawi
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi Hotel Pantai Cenang
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Langkawi
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort Langkawi
- Pelangi Beach Resort Langkawi
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi Pantai Cenang