Well.... I have to agree with the other average reviews - What is all the fuss about??! This is one of the first times I have severely disagreed with the overall Trip Advisor reviews. My husband and I spent a few weeks in Malaysia for our honeymoon - dividing our time between Borneo (stayed at the Shangri-La Rasa Ria), KL (stayed at Hotel Maya) and Langkawi. Like many couples we did as much research as possible before deciding where to spend our dollars. The Casa del Mar had such good reviews that we booked this hotel for the majority of time.
It wasn't that the place was all bad - far from it - we had a good time. BUT the hotel and service if need of much work and I would classify it as a 3 star hotel at best. There were no major incidents so to speak but there were plenty of little things which just kept adding up and which would not have been the case at a 4star and well revered establishment.
To begin with the negatives so I can end on the positives:
1. We took a junior suite which was very average indeed - tired and outdated, not very welcoming or comfortable and worst of all the airconditioner was right above the bed. As a consequence we had the worst weeks sleep of our whole holiday! We either had to turn it off (which made it too hot) or leave it on which meant that it was making constant on and off noises all night. Overall the room was really NOT worth the cost.
2. We were woken one morning by a phone call at 8am (!!!!) to ask that we come to reception to arrange some of the things we had pre-booked. Is that necessary? They couldn't just wait until we came down for breakfast??
3. My husband pre-booked (about 6 months in advance) the castaway day for my birthday (as in the actual day of my birthday). The day before we were told that the boat had broken down and we would have to choose another day (by this stage we only had a few days left before we were leaving so we were left with little choice). We were a bit upset at this. But not as upset as we were when the next morning we were sitting at breakfast on my birthday only to watch another couple being escorted out to the supposedly broken boat for their castaway day!! I couldn't help myself and had to ask the staff about this... they fumbled their way through explanations which led nowhere. Instead my husband got the hotel to arrange a private sunset cruise - which was lovely and the hotel made double money seeing as we went on castaway as well!
4. We received none of the towels, water, fruit and iceypole poolside service that everyone else seems to be raving about. There were no staff around with anything on offer at all.
5. We found the two managers (the western couple I can't remember their names) - just seemed to swan around entertaining and big-noting themselves while giving little regard to the comfort and needs of their guests.
6. The happy-house wheel spinning game sounds like a good concept. However,. the staff were useless at putting it into practice. We were given chances to spin and win a buy one get one free drink - but most of the time the staff weren't watching and so if you "won" it often went unnoticed. It really just made us miss the conventional happy hour!!
7. Cleanliness is average - we ordered room service one night and our tray was still outside of the door 3 days later!
Ok onto the positives....
Dining on the beach at sunset is gorgeous and the spa was quite good. Breakfast was ok but nothing to rave about. Despite the mix up the highlight for us was the castaway experience - we were dropped off on an uninhabited island with a day bed and a picnic and left alone - it was AMAZING.
I suppose overall we were just left feeling as though many improvements could be made. It really made us miss the impeccable service and rooms of places like the Shangri-La and so forth. We understood we were going to a boutique hotel but somehow thought it would be much more quaint and the rooms more plush rather than cold and sparse. Mostly we found most of the staff to be very friendly. We had a good time but would probably stay elsewhere upon returning to Langkawi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The heart of Casa del Mar's (Spanish for ‘Home by the sea’) philosophy is to create unique experiences around individual guests, providing them with a tranquil hideaway. Offering sea view accommodation, innovative dining options and Spa facilities, the 34-room Casa del Mar is the perfect oasis for couples looking for a private and peaceful retreat. From its Mediterranean architecture to its cosy and aesthetically pleasing interior, Casa del Mar is a ‘highly individualised property’. At Casa del Mar, one can indulge in the personalised yet unobtrusive service designed specially to pamper the individual. Guests will be in for a real gastronomic experience with La Sal Restaurant where innovative & yet soul satisfying Mediterranean cuisine, seafood BBQ and Asian samplers will be served. Guests can choose to sit inside the restaurant, with interiors recreated to the splendour of a Californian winery or dine al fresco at the poolside or beachside. Casa del Mar offers one the tranquility of a private holiday home by day and subtle gaiety by night through entertainment and dining options. All traditional hospitality practices will be challenged such that every aspect of the property is in harmony with the objective of creating experiences around individuals. Please note that we specialise in couples and adults and do not offer cots or extra beds in guest rooms. Location: Located at the legendary island of Langkawi, northwest of Peninsula Malaysia, Casa del Mar sits along the island’s Pantai Cenang beach, which is a 10-minute ride from the Langkawi airport and within close proximity to Kuah town, the most popular entertainment area in Langkawi with a wide selection of restaurants and bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Casa del Mar, Langkawi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Del Mar Langkawi Hotel Pantai Cenang
- Casa Del Mar Hotel Langkawi
- Langkawi Casa Del Mar
- Casa Del Mar, Langkawi Pantai Cenang