“It's the small things that count”

Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“It's the small things that count”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

As the saying goes....This Boutique Hotel lived up to its reputation, great service, great facilities, warm & friendly staff, and an opportunity to truly relax. Small things included ice cold drinking water, small ice creams, fresh water melon, and cold minty flannels to refresh yourself. Thank you all those at Casa Del Mar - well done !

Room Tip: We had a room facing the pool & the beach. Whilst next to the main entrance we were never distur...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah G
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for your review I have shared with the team.
I hope you had a safe trip back home and that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again one day to Langkawi.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
London, England
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We have just returned home after our fourth visit to this hotel and we are still as impressed as on previous occasions. In fact, we have already booked to return! All the staff are fantastic and nothing is too much trouble. It was good to meet Tom and his wife for the first time too.

We stayed in Bambu room which was great especially when it rained as we could lie on our balcony sunbeds having a cool drink whilst still keeping dry and waiting for it to stop.

The hotel is in a great location and that part of the beach is clean and tidy.

Keep up the good work!

Theresa and Peter

Room Tip: The Bambu room upstairs is a good choice,
3 Thank Meerkatville
Dear Theresa and Peter

It was great to see you again at Casa del Mar!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope you had a safe trip back home. See you again next year!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2012

What makes people rate an establishment as a no. 1 Tripadvisor choice was the question I asked myself upon arrival at the hotel? I always go with the no. 1 Tripadvisor choice, so when I realised where the hotel was located and found that the establishment is relatively old and therefore by no means has a sexy appearance or is located in an exotic location, I had to take notice. Well, firstly, without superb staff, they could not pull it off and the staff are all excellent and very service savvy. From the moment you arrive, you just know that your treatment is going to be faultless over your entire stay. The room we had (one of the more expensive rooms) was huge, very well appointed, comfortable and spotless. A hotel room can be quite old, but stately attention to the fitout and furniture and attention to detail makes you forget this (this is what they have done). Then there is the restaurant, which is excellent and the reason we never bothered to eat elsewhere on the strip. The breakfast is particularly good, being a full al a carte included in the rate. Attention throughout the day by way of scented cold towels, fruit and iced water delivered to you on the beach rounds off the goodness. Well all of that must be the reason why there are so many people staying there, by some indications for extensive periods (10 days or so) and giving the place the thumbs up on Tripadvisor. Lets be honest though, this is not a jet setting establishment and based on the demograpghy during my stay, I classify it is a 50+ age group place, with most people coming from Europe and particularly the UK. OK, I am 50+ myself, so this did not worry me particularly, but if you are younger, don't expect to meet many people and have a great social life. Then there is the location - Pentai Cenang Beach. Not a great beach, but fortunately the hotel is up on one end and far enough away from the yobs that frequent the place. The hotel does not have a spectacular swimming pool or extensive grounds, but the beach is kept very clean, so a lounger under an umbrella on the beach is the way to go. But don't swim in the ocean whatever you do - the ocean in this part of the world is appalling with rubbish washing up on the beach continually. I often wonder why the Europeans fly all the way from Europe to holiday here, when if they just spent another 5 hours on the plane and reached Australia, they will have reached paradise when it comes to ocean and beaches (I guess it has somethng to do with cost). At least in Australia, the ocean smells like an ocean! Anyway, not intending to put you off - if you want to visit Langkawi, then this is the hotel to stay at (if you are not too young that is).

Room Tip: Make sure you get a seaview room
7 Thank Beamer23
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this long review indeed, we are delighted you enjoy your stay with us.

As you mentioned we are a boutique resort, classified as a 4* without any pretention of being sexy or trendy but homely and warm, specialized in honeymooners and couples. Age and nationalities vary depending on the time of the year.
Langkawi is an archipelago of 99 islands, rich in earth and rich vegetation. Those lands have emerged half a billion years ago and were one of the first in South East Asia. This heritage is actually classified and labeled as GeoPark by the United Nations and visiting the mangrove located on the North East of the Island is an amazing experience.
If the sea is not as clear as some other parts of the world where coral can grow, is simply because of the presence of sediments. It is a fact when raining some earth is washed away at sea. Therefore it is true to state the sea will never be as clear as in Perth or Maldives. But Langkawi has many other charms to offer in addition to those dramatic limestone cliffs and wildlife you can admire during a cruise around the islands.
Many thanks again for taking the time writing about your experience I will share with the team.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2012

What can I say, other than....Paradise! I made the trip on my own as I was a guest at a wedding in Nov 2011 and they made me feel so welcome and special and at home. The room was beautiful (I was lucky enough to have been upgraded to a Sea View Room), the finishing touches, such as scented book marks, aromatherapy oils at turndown, ice cold towels whilst sunbaking were such a delight. The food and drinks were amazing, the service was out of this world...

I had a treatment every day at the Spa and was lucky to have Hani do each treatment for me....she was just a gorgeous, welcoming, warm person who treated me like gold - she really allowed me to relax and enjoy my holiday that much more - thank you Hani!
All the staff were friendly, warm, funny and welcoming....even Jack :)

What a wonderful experience and I'm sure I will be back again someday!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Guest

I am delighted you loved your stay with us. I have shared your comments with Hani (she is thrilled!) and the rest of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

A lovely boutique hotel. The staff are superb and the food is top-notch. The little touches, like the complimentary iced water and fruit brought to your sunbed on the beach, made this holiday a truly wonderful experience. The beach is cleaned every day (very important to me!) and the rooms were spacious and highly comfortable. This wonderful hotel and its staff deserve all the great plaudits.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JenW1080
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for writing about your experience at Casa del Mar, I have shared with the staff.
We hope you had a safe trip back home and that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the future.
NZ
Reviewed 2 March 2012

There's not much I can say about Casa del Mar that hasn't already been said by past reviewers but we had an absolutely amazing stay for our honeymoon in February. The staff really make this place outstanding, always friendly and obliging, and we also enjoyed getting to know some of the other guests - the whole place is almost like a family! The location of the hotel is really good in that it is situated in a little town with other restaurants and shops, however the only downside to this is that the beach is not private and there can be a little bit of noise from jet skis going past the beach. In saying that, the beach is really nice, beautiful white sand and it is quiet most of the time. Jack and Mood at the bar were great - the best cocktails we have ever tasted and great service too. We also really enjoyed Tues night getting to know the staff and guests and the free champagne! Everyone has already mentioned the little touches - cold water, peppermint face towels etc and these really are appreciated.
We stayed in a Junior Suite which was very nice, lovely views and really good balcony with sun loungers. We didn't see inside the other rooms but the position of all the pool and beach view rooms looked great and I think any room grade would be good.
We would recommend the castaway picnic as well - just ask at the hotel for a booking. We were taken to a beautiful private island and enjoyed a delicious picnic and a romantic day together.
All in all a wonderful resort and I couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: The junior Suite is lovely (we had Bambu which was great) but I think all rooms would be good.
2 Thank TVRNz
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your impressions and long review on our page, I have shared with the staff.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again one day to Langkawi.
South Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Location and the resort itself is outstanding. Staff are ultra-friendly, even gardening and cleaning staff. The spa is absolute heaven. Included breakfast options are fantastic. Food is delicious and well presented, everything is fresh, even condiments appear to be home made. The Castaway Picnic is an unmissable experience. Attention to detail is fantastic, from cool towels to ice blocks and fruit all brought to your beach-front day bed.

Dear guests

Many thanks for your review I have shared with the team. You could not make us happier!
We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again one day to Langkawi.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 103 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,301 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Malaysia

Been to Casa del Mar, Langkawi? Share your experiences!