“A little bit of heaven!”

Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I've just spent three fantastic days at Casa del Mar. I based my choice on tripadvisor reviews and I was not disappointed! The staff are very friendly and eager to make sure you are 100% happy. Because it is a boutique hotel, there are few people and the staff to customer ratio is very high. it felt as though I was in a staffed villa rather than a hotel. My room was almost on the beach with only the gorgeous, infinity pool (with wonderful dark turquoise tiling) and a couple of rows of palm trees standing in between. The room itself was lovely and clean with all the perks of a high end hotel. Meals were generous and of high quality - fusion cuisine, Malaysian and European, and dinner was served on the beach so you can enjoy a beautiful sunset as you nibble at a chili seabass. For romantic couples or those thinking of proposing, this is an ideal setting and you can book a special table for two with marquis on the beach for the occasion...! My favourite feature of the hotel was the complimentary kayak that you can take out and paddle with to the mini-desert island about a mile offshore. I spent many hours lazing on the beach with the place all to myself. The hotel itself is just at the edge of the pantai cenang area with shops.bars and restaurants if you want to venture out for a walk (but why would you?!) In summary, I loved this place! Thank you to all the staff who made my stay so wonderful and personal.

Room Tip: Choose the seaview!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Mimi J
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear "Mimi"

Greetings from your sunny home by the sea! I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe and relaxing trip back home.

Thank you for sharing your impressions on our page, we are delighted to read you had a great time with us. I will make sure this is shared with the team and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again one day to Langkawi.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

There's not a great deal to add to everyone else's comments about this special little hotel. It really does look as lovely as the photos; the beach is pristine, the subnets comfortable and plentiful. There were a couple of beds that seem to be 'reserved' but it wasn't really an issue. Our room wasn't the most luxurious we have ever stayed in but I have to say it didn't matter as the little touches it did have made all the difference. For example, coming back after supper to the radio having been tuned in to a cool jazz station with aromatherapy oil burner having been lit. Really good coffee in the room with REAL milk in the fridge; the best teapot ever and if you wanted, homemade cookies to have with your tea.
For me the room old have had slightly more efficient aircon but that is a very personal preference as I love sleeping in a really cold room. Nevertheless, the bed and more importantly, the pillows were very comfortable indeed.
Likewise, the food was as good as you would imagine and it could have been easy to gain excessive amounts of weight on breakfast alone. I was only sorry I couldn't try everything as it all looked delicious and tasted delicious too.
The manager hosts a welcome cocktail hour during which he offers information about the resort and island. Normally those affairs are rather tilted with strained conversation and a sense that both guests and staff alike are there under duress. It came as a real surprise therefore to enjoy the gathering. ( Partly suspect because the waiters kept topping up my wine glass). Surely the quality of any hotel is in direct relation to the effectiveness of its manager and I can only assume that this is the case here as he has done an excellent job in instilling real pride in his team.
There did seem to be a bit of a 'club/clique' feel at times around the bar, but I suspect this is bound to happen when people stay for a length of time and or return year on year.

Room Tip: We stayed in what I think was a 'basic standard' . I couldn't fault its view and situati...
1  Thank queensquitter

Dear Guests,

Thank you for spending the time to write this long review which will be shared with the team. We are delighted you enjoyed the experience and we look forward to welcoming you again one day in the future at your home by the sea.

Warmest regards from all of us

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was without a doubt the most relaxing beach holiday I've ever had. We stayed in a beach front room which was comfortably furnished with a courtyard garden which opened onto a white sandy beach.
The staff were always smiling and welcoming and more than happy to go out of their way to make your stay memorable. Service was great with fresh fruit, chilled water and ice lollies being brought round while you relax on a sun lounger. We did the Castaway picnic - going out on a boat to a private beach with a picnic hamper and loungers set up. It was well worth the money.
I would definitely recommend going to this hotel if you want to relax, recharge the batteries or just enjoy some time as a couple.
There are other bars/restaurants along the beach but actually some of the best food and best service we got was at the hotel restaurant. Right on the beach with spectacular sunsets as the backdrop.

1  Thank Katlovestravelling
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guests,

Many thanks for your amazing review. We are really delighted your stay with us was a great experience.
This is a great tribute you make to the team.
We hope you had a safe trip back home to UK and we look forward to welcoming you again one day.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My wife and I just returned from a fantastic 2 weeks at Casa del Mar and what can I add to previous posters? Well, let me try. I have always believed that excellence is not a skill but an attitude and it is one that is portrayed by all the staff at this wonderful hotel. From the moment we arrived until we were waived off in a taxi with a kiss and bottle of iced water by the receptionist nothing was either too much trouble or too much of an effort for this team. Firstly there always staff at hand to meet any need although so unobtrusive as to be invisible but want anything and there they are often anticipating your request. I have Sleep Apnoea and at about 1am on morning there was a problem that caused the power to go out in the hotel. As I was walking to reception to find out how long the problem might persist I was met by one of the night staff who, knowing I needed to sleep attached to a machine was on their way to my room to let me know an engineer was on the way to fix the problem and see if I needed any assistance. I had not informed the Hotel of my problem by it had been noted by house keeping and the front of house informed. I was so impressed.

Everything at this hotel ticks all the boxes, if you can get a booking, don't think about it just go.

To Tom and all the team, A very big thank you we could ask no more.

Terry and Daisy

3  Thank gangaman

Dear Guests,

A big thank you for your wonderful review. You are right, they make the difference. People build memories, the proof is that your best holiday memories are always with with people.

Trust that I have shared your note with the rest of the team and we forward the chance to welcoming you back to your Home by the Sea!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Lovely little hotel,mediterranean-style,but not a 5-star,a bit on the expensive side
We had opted for the lowest category when choosiing rooms as you do not really spend that much time in there,room was fine,waterpressure low in the shower,but ok in the tub.Entrance to the room was weird,having to go outside the hotellobby and along a walkway next to the road.If returning I would probably go for a higher category of room.
Staff fine-just that service a breakfast was some days better than others,one day they forgot my tea,other day they forgot taking order for the hot option.Better training needed.Breakfast spread was fine.
The hotel is right at the beach.This beach is fine for some,but certainly not the best one I have seen,the water was murky-graygreen,not transparent at all,and plenty of jellyfish but ,thanks to Good they left me alone......,
Good service by the sunloungers,with cold water,lollies and cold towels.Jacuzzi looked disgustingly dirty,would not even put a foot into it.
Nice cocktailparty on tuesday evening by the bar.
The hotel is very cozy,you feel right at home.
The mainstreet was not the most inspiring I have seen in Asia,but the dutyfree close to the Underwater World was very affordable.
Langkawi can not be compared with Sri Lanka or Bali,not my favorite island at all.I had expected a lot more,mind there had not been any rain for many months,but driving out from the airport the landscape was terribly depressing and ugly
Would I return- perhaps just because of the hotel,certainly not for Langkawi.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelbugforever2013
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Casa del Mar
We have recently returned from a three week holiday and our first to Malaysia. We stayed in a few locations including Penang and Kuala Lumpur but from the moment we entered Casa del Mar we knew we had chosen well to spend a week here.

The hotel is directly on the beach and all rooms have the wonderful beach views across a lovely pool. Our room (Ebony) was lovely with everything we could wish for to make our stay comfortable. We returned each evening to a turned down bed, candles and soft music! It is a mainly adult hotel so very few children running around.

Breakfast was a vast selection of fruit, pastries, cheeses, meats, jams and choice from a wide range of varied cooked breakfasts, try the Malaysian omelettes or the curries you will not be disappointed (yes, even at breakfast!) I wanted to try everything but our stay of one week was too short for this.

We also had two evening meals and each was a revelation in taste and presentation. My starter of soft shell crab was just so amazing I had to have it twice. Even being full after the main course didn't put us off dessert having seen the menu so we just had to try them and again were not disappointed. In the evening tables are set on the beach and as well as the wonderful food, the setting is ideal to watch the glorious sunsets of Langkawi.

In the afternoon or evening we also sat in the bar to enjoy a cocktail from their extensive range (although an ice cold beer was just as good for me). My wife loved the very well made Mojito and found a new favourite in the Toblerone cocktail, a lavish affair but one is enough I am advised!

The hotel is situated towards the end of a busy strip but we didn't notice any noise and it was nice on some evenings to go for a walk and try local restaurants, Tomato for a good Indian meal and Red Tomato for good Italian. But there is a great deal of choice to suit any taste and all will suit your budget as they are so inexpensive! Whilst you are out and about there are plenty of duty free shops and local shops to browse.

The beach was exceptionally clean with palm trees and plenty of sun beds. However there is a large client group of 'regulars' who return year on year and seem to think that this means they have 'dedicated' sun beds and in true 'Magaluf fashion' towels are laid out by these early risers (who then disappear until mid-morning) reserving favourite spots. However the management were very apologetic and taking really positive steps to overcome this very minor problem.

Don't let anything put you off - this is a fabulous hotel with lots of lovely 'special touches' that set it aside from all others. Staff are always on hand to renew jugs of ice cold water on the beach and at the pool, they also serve fruit kebabs and shot glass sized fresh fruit ice lollies at regular intervals which is a lovely touch. The pool is beautiful but we spent most of our time in the sea as it was like a warm bath.

We hired a car for the day through the hotel and explored a small part of the island. We visited the cable car and Skull beach or Monkey beach as it's called by locals. The cable car offers amazing panoramic views and the little beach was so quiet and peaceful with crystal clear waters, just watch your belongings as the monkeys are very cheeky and very adept at stealing food, drink and even clothing. On our travels we saw a family of wild boar crossing the road and plenty of monkeys. Watch where you park the car as they can cause considerable damage which will cost!!

Other excursions we enjoyed were a sailing trip in a katamaran with Rampant Sailing (excellent and reviewed separately) an evening nature walk and a kayaking trip through the mangroves with Dev's Adventures, all fantastic trips and the staff at Casa are happy to advise and book your adventures for you - nothing is too much trouble.

I can't praise the staff enough from the groundsmen to the front of house staff, all were exceptionally helpful and always smiling (despite, we noticed some quite challenging customers).

There is a Spa on site and our package included a treatment each. However I was happy to soak up the sun whilst my wife had a few treats, two Malay massages and a foot treatment and she loved all of them.

We intend to return to Langkawi and for luxury and relaxation then we would have no hesitation returning to Casa Del Mar. Well done to a dedicated team and a fabulous hotel in a superb setting.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Trevorah
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear guests,

We would be delighted to welcome you back in your next visit to Langkawi, we have really enjoyed having you with us and would like to thank you for your very kind and long review.

The team will be happy to read your comments and I'm sure it will encourage all of us to do better.
Please anything you may need before your next booking, let us know and meanwhile receive our gratitude and warmest regards.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We recently stayed here for 3 nights as it was a belated anniversary present to my wife. Upon arrival we were greeted well and was looked after very well. Check in was easy and drink upon arrival was very refreshing. We stayed in the Bambu room which was superb. The only down side is the wifi internet which is very frustrating, however my wife liked that as we were on holiday and I shouldn't be on the internet!. The location of the hotel is excellent and service was good.

2  Thank Ali-TheTourist

Dear Guests,

Thanks for staying with us and it was lovely to read that you enjoyed your experience with us. I hope that we will be able to look after you again some time soon when you come back to see us at Casa!
Trust I will share your say to the rest of the team.
You will be delighted to know that we are currently reviewing different options to improve the Internet.

Warmest personal regards,

Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 104 in Langkawi
The Datai Langkawi
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Malaysia

Been to Casa del Mar, Langkawi? Share your experiences!