“Tranquil resort”
Review of Bon Ton Resort

Bon Ton Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Recently I spent two nights at Bon Ton Resort, one night in the Blue Ginger villa and the next in the Laguna villa. This place is so incredibly quiet and peaceful I didn't feel the need to head to the tourist beaches or crazy shopping centres.
One thing you must understand about this place is that it appears to be a 7th heaven for cats that have had a tough life, so if you are not a lover of them you would be best to avoid. They are healthy, there are just a lot of them.
This place is far enough out of the hustle and bustle of Pantai Cenang however taxis can be called to the resort and for 10 local dollars you are less than 5min away.
The staff were extremely hospitable and as I had a late flight were willing to move me to another room just for a few hours. Wifi although advertised as included throughout the resort didn't reach either villa I stayed in, and they have TV's but no reception...just DVD player and a library of DVDs available at the front desk.
This place is a must visit if you are looking to relax and get lost in the tranquil sounds of local wildlife and mountainous views. It would be best suited to couples or a solo traveller if they are not worried about partying/meeting other single travellers. Food available was amazing and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Laguna Villa was simply amazing, Blue ginger has an outdoor bathroom that isn't that great in th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DanielleBrooke
There are newer reviews for Bon Ton Resort

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We recently had a two night stay at BonTon in the Laguna villa. The resort is tucked out of the way on the main road towards Pantai Cenang and a car or taxi ride is necessary if you want to venture out for food or other entertainment. Because of this it is very quiet and peaceful and you get the feeling you are experiencing the true essence of Langkawi.

The resort grounds are well maintained with the villas and a bar surrounding the pool with views of marshland (with abundant birds) and mountains. We were served cocktails at 7pm each evening whilst enjoying the sunset and this was the only time we really saw any other guests.

The Laguna villa is awesome. It has the best position in the resort as it is open to the marshland on one side and its porch is a fantastic place to sit out reading all day. It is quite spacious with a king bed, a day bed, chair and desk, etc. with the furniture complimenting the traditional design of the villa. The bathroom is also very well appointed with a wonderful wooden bathtub, two washbasins and a wetroom style shower.

We found that with all the windows open there was a great cross breeze that meant we did not need air conditioning. Although mosquitoes were present, the provided deterrents worked very well and neither of us suffered bites.

Honestly, the draw for us to book BonTon (we are usually Sheraton/Hilton guests due to their benefits for frequent-stayers) were the cats and we were not disappointed! Each villa seems to have its own resident cats. For us, that meant 3 very friendly, very well-behaved felines that obviously owned Laguna. They wandered in and out as they pleased and spent nights curled up on the bed with us (only after being invited.....there was no attempt on their behalf to approach the bed until we made it plain we wanted them). Likewise they never begged for food or attempted to climb on the table when we were having breakfast...they are obviously well fed and cared for.

If you love cats, this place is a dream. If you dislike cats, you can avoid them by keeping doors and windows shut. If you are allergic to cats, you will probably suffer since they are everywhere.

In short, we are already planning our next trip. Bon Ton is a delightful mix of rustic villas with all the modern conveniences. Plus CATS! ;)

Room Tip: Laguna has the best position in the resort and is spacious for two people.
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Loved our stay in the White Frangipani. A nice welcome from a pair of hornbills right outside our window the day we arrived. We love heritage houses so we thoroughly enjoyed being in a kampung house with a some nicer finishings. The place has a draw to it that we are already planning our next trip just to relax here. The cats around the place and the work they do with stray animals makes it even better. Plus the roaming cats entertained our toddler, who was very at home with being able to get in and out of the pool and roam about barefoot. Superb menu choices at the Nam restaurant and gorgeous views of the marshes (watch out for the birds). Not very close to the beach, but we didn't really go to Langkawi for its beaches.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

One of the best Hospitality experience I ever had in my life. The Villas are original old malay style with of course renovated interiors, very warm and welcoming. The surrounding is wonderful for those who love nature and would like to stay away from the crowd. The staff is absolutely attentive, friendly and professional. This hotel is not suitable for those who do not like nature, animals and a bit of adventure.
Addendum: I read comments about breakfast. It's is clearly said that it is not a full buffet or a full english Breakfast. You get it the evening before in your room (yogurt, milk, bread, cake, jam and butter, fresh fruit and juice) so that you can wake up at any time without the need to rush to the restaurant. Take it or leave it, I think it's a fabulous solution and you can have it in your personal veranda.
Addendum 2: Consider to rent a car or a scooter and do not consider too much those comments about traffic and how danger it can be...... the traffic there is ridicolously low.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was our second visit to BonTon and we stayed at Laguna which is the most delightful and enjoyable Malaya house to stay in. The resort is as lovely as ever but I do have a couple of comments I would like the owners to consider.
Although I would prefer a choice of hot breakfast I could accept the breakfast in the fridge if the quality of what was offered was better. I can eat bananas,oranges and apples at home. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and when I come to Malaysia I want to eat tropical fruit in generous quantities ( I was not impressed by the one mango I had to share with my husband ) The bread (2 slices each) the yoghurt (strawberry every day for four days) I gues in shortis I felt the breakfasts for the price BonTon charges were quite mean. Though I love the place I believe the charges are too high for what we get and I will not return.

2  Thank MaryroseI
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Bon Ton offers a "back to nature" experience with its original "kampung" (village) wooden house; they are all different from each other, and face a paddy field. It is a wonderful experience to be there with all the cats and dogs wandering around (part of Bon Ton's profits are used to finance an animal shelter; you can go and walk the dogs, or keep a cat is your room, if it likes you). I read the "1*" reviews of Tripadvisor and was laughing a lot; yes there are flies, and gecos and birds; but that's nature! It's so great to not be surrounded by concrete buildings and chemicals.... Great job guys of Bon Ton!

Room Tip: go and walk the dogs; they will love it
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank pmdaguet
Reviewed 27 July 2013

A perfect Honeymoon, This Resort has everything we wanted, a lovely spot with an outdoor pool by the lagoon with coconut trees and happy staff.
The Palm Villa was fantastic, simple morning breakfast waiting in the fridge, good shower and toilet, the bed great with mosquito net and mosquito plugs. We did get perfect weather for the 6 days we were there which helped. We used the pool every morning and afternoon. Then a 5-10 minute drive down to the beaches, scooters are $25RM a day and $4RM to fill the tank... awesome. You will need a taxi to take you to the rentals.. its too hot to walk the 15-20 mins walk ;)
They make a good cocktail although we would of ordered more cocktails if the staff asked if we wanted a drink more.
Looking at the other resorts it was perfect for us.
Lots of nice cats but the don't bother you unless you want them too ;)

Room Tip: For Couples the 'Palm Villa' is One of the best!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Tanjung Rhu Resort
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 104 in Langkawi
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Bon Ton Resort? Share your experiences!