“Brilliant!”
Review of Bon Ton Resort

Bon Ton Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Staying here ATM. We spent 5 nights at the 5* Datai but due to a change in travel plans had to find another place for 1 night.

We chose here due to good reviews on Booking. A wonderful unique place. About 8 individual old wooden historic villas around a pool and overlooking a wetlands so plenty of birdlife to see.

Next door is an animal shelter for around 200 cats and 100 dogs but there is very little noise. Cats are everywhere though and each have their preferred villa! So don't come if you are allergic or don't like cats!! They are mild mannered and very sweet and make the place special.

There's free wifi, a free welcome drink and a free cocktail, food is delicious, affordable and generous.

Staff are kind and friendly. The manager is hands on and welcomed you to the hotel.

So laid back and very stunning! They have mosquito nets and sprays etc. in the room. We were a bit concerned as there's gaps between all the wood slats but there were few insects tbh. I got bitten a little but if there's a room of 100 people it will be me that gets bitten. My husband wasn't touched!

I can't say more as was only here for 24 hours but I recommend highly! ... If you don't mind cats!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 October 2013

So disappointed to see so many negative reviews about Bon Ton- my husband and I loved it! We are so sick of staying in obvious 4/5 star hotels that all offer the same predictable facilities etc as each other and were looking for something more rustic/unique and special ...Bon Ton is just that! It was a privilege to stay in a 100 year old Malay Villa (best place I've ever stayed in!!) and the best food we've tasted so far on our trip to Malaysia. The staff go above and beyond to help you and what's more, it's so relaxed and not full of screaming kids or fussy tourists, just people who want to de-stress and really enjoy this lovely Malay Island. The icing on the cake for us was also that proceeds from Bon Tree go to the fantastic dog/cat rescue centre on the grounds. As an animal lover and someone who cares very much about local people wanting to preserve local buildings/heritage and animals...this place couldn't have suited us more! We'd chose Bon Ton over a concrete hotel with no personality any day!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank MrFossnufc
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I hope this is OK- I'm writing about the restaurant ANd the hotel:I'm living and travelling in SE Asia (for 12 years so fa), but I've only written three reviews, and those were to warn people about appalling places, so it's nice to write a rave review where there are 97% great/ excellent experiences and just two tiny moans- not bad for a grumpy old git like me!!
1: the restaurant- not far from Pantai (beach) Cinang or the airport and on the way to the cable car/ wonderful telaga harbour- taxis are cheap and you can hire a small car for rm70 per day- NOTHING! The food is as good as a michelin restaurant (for me anyway)- and I had a sort of "racial prejudice" that The Malay chef would overcook my steak (only cos Malays seem to prefer their meat and fish cooked longer than Europeans). I had "medium rare (I've eaten this about 6 times here, and other local dishes) and everything was PERFECT in the food department and the menu is a DREAM- I challenge the fussiest of people to be unable to find something they don't like.

The manager and staff are very chatty and friendly- you sit close to the pool and although not next to the sea, there's a river and lake, and the view's great, and it's semi-open-air. My only moan was that they asked me too many times about more wine, but they've probably stopped that now. So 97 out of 100 for the restaurant.

The other small moan is it's also a sort of animal sanctuary and the cats, which i don't mind, may use the grass near you as a "convenience". But I think it's good to look after the cats like that.

2- The old ORIGINAL Malay houses on stilts by the pool are very atmospheric; you don't need aircon- they're cool and there were no mosquitos; the bed and everything in the room were pERFECT. Is it allowable to give 100%? They've got some more local-style houses now but I haven't seen them; the ones I stayed in had been transported and reassembled; it was quiet, stunningly beautiful- OK I can add another TINY moan- the pool's rather small. But forget my tiny whinges- you'll have to look at MANY places before you find one like THIS.

Room Tip: Just look around- they don't mind! They're all well away from the road.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank gregipoh
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Sleeping in a beautiful 120 year old kampung villa; waking to the gentle noises of the local birdlife; the most superb food; sunset views and cocktails; fantastic friendly and helpful staff.

Staying at the Bon Ton was an unforgettable experience. Four nights of blissful relaxation.

The Bon Ton is not some isolated 5 star Langkawi resort; it's much closer to the nature and community of the island - and infinitely better for it.
I can't not mention the cats: sleepy, friendly and in no way intrusive - they just added to the experience.

Set your expectations and you'll soon succumb to the magic of the Bon Ton Resort.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Palm Villa. A beautiful traditional stilted villa, sensitively modernised - and the w...
1  Thank ihenders_uk
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We had only 3 nights at the beginning of our holiday at the Bon Ton, had we known it was so lovely we would of booked longer. This place is the true meaning of 'relaxation'. Food is great. We are cat lovers and very nearly felt we could not leave Skippy behind. What a wonderful experience. Thank you all the staff who were all very friendly and welcoming.

2  Thank JenHeath89
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My goodness!

It almost looks to good to be true.

The 8 individual Bon Ton villas are set in a green park-like environment with great views of the reclaimed marshland and the mountains of Langkawi. The settings are just beautiful. Just beautiful!

We had the Laguna villa for a week. It has the best location of the 8. Set in the corner directly facing the open marshlands. Wonderful sunset views from the porch. The villas are 60-90 years old original wooden houses. As all the others - the Laguna Villa is built on stilts. The wooden floors and walls seem very quirky, but it really works out very, very well. And the feeling of living in an original antique Malay house on stilts does not come any better..... Nice, nice, nice!

The main room is the bedroom. Very spacy and well equipped with all modern amenities. The bathroom is......fantastic! Wooden bathtub with direct views of the marshland through the open window. The shower area is a genius installation. When showering directly on the wooden floor, the water will find its way down through the cracks between the planks.

The restaurant is upmarket and very good. The breakfast which they bring to your house the night before is absolutely adequate. Wifi works farely well in our house. The pool is not big, but does its job.

Cats all over the place! Very polite and extremely lazy pregnant ones. :)

Downsides?

A: The aircon unit in Laguna Villa have seen better days. It's difficult cooling the house down during daytime. At night when the outside temperature drops a bit, it works ok though. And that's important! Ceiling fans and open windows is the solution during daytime.

B: I don't personally get the concept of putting in new flat screen TV's - when there's absolutely no TV reception. It would be easy to install a satellite dish....? The Bon Ton is not a place where your first choice would be watching TV....but hey...a bit of news now and then!? And the flat screens are there.....!

BUT........We spent seven wonderful days here. The Bon Ton was for us the highlight of our Langkawi vacation. The place is truely a magic and very, very special place to stay!

Room Tip: A) Book the Laguna villa for the best views and privacy. B) Like cats! C) Love your wife!
Reviewed 25 September 2013

If you wanted a place to relax with a sense of history, architecture and beauty, then this is the place for you.

Nothing is better than starting each day with a dip in the pool, then a light breakfast, and then, maybe think about what else you would like to do, or maybe perhaps just lounge around the pool all day.

Price? What price do you place on being able to "live" in an old kampung house (with mod cons) in paradise?

The food was outstanding. We did not feel the need to go anywhere else. Service was exceptional. Appreciated the complimentary cocktails with nibbles at sunset.

And, the cats, love them!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Black Orchid (which was a bit dark). Our friends were in White Frangipani which was lo...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
#9 of 108 in Langkawi
Ambong Ambong
Ambong Ambong
#1 of 7 in Pantai Tengah

Been to Bon Ton Resort? Share your experiences!