“Relaxing stay surrounded by nature”
Review of Bon Ton Resort

Bon Ton Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing stay surrounded by nature”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at the Bon Ton for 4 nights over New Year.

From the moment I stepped into the room I was unsure of how our stay was going to turn out. The villa (an old Malay house with all mod cons) gets quite warm and it's difficult to cool it down regardless the A/C unit on full blast all day. Still, the villa (we stayed in Palm) is very spacious and nicely decorated and overall we had a really pleasant stay.

The resort is very peaceful but a tad run down. The villas would benefit from a deep clean, buying a hoover would probably be a good investment!

The pool is small and not that well kept, there does not seem to be any water pump to allow recirculation of the water (or if there is one, it was definitely broken / off while we stayed there). I did not feel comfortable swimming in it, neither did my partner.

There is several cats in the resort, they are all absolutely amazing and very friendly. I am a cat person so I enjoyed that a lot. Each cat seems to have a preferred villa, I totally fell in love with the ones that were guarding ours and I wish I could have taken them back to London!

The concept itself, old Malay homes with all mod cons, is a great idea. Definitely a different experience however if you like your creature comforts (like myself) I would recommend staying there for two nights max (we stayed for 4 nights)

The breakfast system needs revisiting in my opinion, I would much prefer sitting in the restaurant in the morning instead of having my food delivered to my fridge the night before as it really limits your choice.

​Overall the service throughout the resort is really good, they are very attentive and quick in serving. We had dinner in the restaurant twice, and everything was delicious and the staff look after us.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

we stayed there for some nights,, it is over priced and breakfast was awful. every morning same things, the staff are not really friendly . It is more like a high level pack packer place and far from the beach.

Room Tip: never recommend it
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mahgol1388
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We spent nine days in this beautiful resort over Christmas before heading off to Singapore for new year. The resort itself is set in a very peaceful part of the Island with the local town and beach a short cab fare away (12 R) but to see the other beautiful beaches and to explore the island, a car is a must as there is much to see. The individual villas are spread nicely apart so you have complete privacy without any noise. We stayed in the yellow orchid which was very unique and comfortable with a fab outdoor bathroom. Our only complaint would be the air conditioning was not cool enough but with a ceiling fan also, it wasnt too bad. Now lets talk about the cats....so many and oh s cute! Skippy was the main attraction at our villa and was one of the friendliest felines on the resort, she would often sit on our outside chairs waiting for us to come back and we being cat lovers were quite happy for her to come into the villa (she slept on my suitcase numerous times! many cats roam the resort simply sitting around he pool chilling, we loved it. The restaurant in the hotel served up some of the best food on the island and the cocktails were lovely! all in, the resort was great and we would go back for sure, all the staff made our stay a memorable one and we met up with some great people during our stay

Room Tip: yellow orchid great for out door bathrom
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackl1969
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We are happy that we stayed at Bon Ton Resort but I don't think we would stay again. The idea of staying in an old Malay houses is wonderful. The property is also well laid out offering the perfect amount of privacy and access to birds and nature. It's truly a unique experience. And the staff was also friendly and helpful. My issue comes in regards to the aparent lack of upkeep and cleanliness. Beginning with the grounds upkeep, there were lots of dead branches and shrubbery which continuously fell on our outdoor bathtub and lounging patio making it completely unusable, which was one of the things I was most excited about using. Also the thatched roofs of the individual houses were in complete disrepair, especially ours at Black Coral. The roofing material also kept falling into our outdoor patio making it further unuseable. Also the roofing issues had caused patches of mildew in the roof especially in our bathroom. Due to the setup of the shower, which drains freely onto the floor and drains through the cracks in the floor, the water damage and constant dampness in the bathroom was unpleasant. Also the whole place really needed a serious vacuuming with a high powered Dyson :), as each crack and crevice you looked in had dirt, dead bugs, and outdoor debris, especially around the lights and in the sliding tracks of the doorways. The decorative pillows on our bed and chairs had stains. Also there seemed to be water bugs or mosquitos breeding in the pool, which I would not key my daughter swim in. Add to that all the cats that roam the property, one of which who was crippled and seemed to be at our doorstep frequently, and well, I don't think we would return. Also the "breakfast" which I see many others didn't agree with as well, needs to be seriously upgraded. Bread, yogurt and fruit just don't cut it for me. For the price we paid, I would have expected much much more. And it's a shame because it could really really be nice. A fantastic and unique concept for sure. We stayed here based on high recommendations from Trip Advisor and Lonley Planet which usually are not wrong. Perhaps it was a momentary lapse in the housekeeping and grounds staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Emily R
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and enjoyed enjoyed out stay there. To those who want to experience the serence and quiet kampung life but are not willing to completely let go of some life's luxury this is the place to be. The restaurant there serves really delicious food but be prepared to pay the cost.

To top it all of, the manager and the staffs are really friendly. The cats are FRIENDLIER!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Iqboy
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Spent a week end with friends at the Bon Ton in November 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it. We rented a motor and drove down from the airport. The reception (place and activity!) was delightful, as we were offered a welcome drink, did the paperwork and then shown to our part of the world. We had a suite (double and single) which was most tastefully decorated in the traditional Chinese Malay fashion, with a very large bathroom (and wooden tub). The whole atmosphere, tranquillity, watchful cats looking over the scene (!) who sometimes come and visit ( a pleasure to my mind). The park where the Bon Ton is located is so lovely, the surrounding mountains, the structures that were renovated, the garden and the pond, next to the restaurant (terrible to say, I forget the name of it - and the food was superb) and the pool all so elegant, that one only wished to stay there for a very very long time! Staff were most helpful and friendly. Last but not least, breakfast that is brought to the room the night before is rich, healthy and the bread, fruit, yogurt and cake vary from day to day (at least on the 2 days we stayed, it did and we enjoyed it absolutely!)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Bon Ton is also owned by the owners of the animal rescue and shelter LASSie, and many of the cats, and a few dogs, have adopted the resort as their new home. Each of the 8 antique kampong houses where guests stay seems to have been adopted by a cat, and he'll guard it by sleeping on your steps. The cats will leave if you insist, but are very happy to hang out with you (Calico was the cutie for my villa, the Blue Ginger, and he jumped in the bathtub and the safe to try to make me pay attention to him!)

Each kampong house has been restored and kitted out with all the modern conveniences (AC, fan, TV, fridge, toaster, kettle, etc), plus a modern bathroom. Some of the bathrooms are on your deck under the stars, but with a high fence around them so you have privacy: other villas have indoor bathrooms.

The restaurant on site is fantastic - people come from all over the island just to eat here.

The pool is a great place to cool off from the heat and is the right size to do a few lazy laps if you like.

Room Tip: Decide whether you're comfortable with an outdoor bathroom (very private) or if you want all you...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 103 in Langkawi
The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Bon Ton Resort? Share your experiences!