“Laid back, friendly, stylish, luxury island paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bon Ton Resort

Bon Ton Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Laid back, friendly, stylish, luxury island paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Bon Ton is quiet and relaxing. The whole place is stylish, originally thought out and creative. Each individual Malayan house on stilts was purchased from another area, dismantled and re -erected around a pool. I loved the large bathrooms with rain showers which just ran onto the wooden floor boards. The restaurant 'Nam' is wonderful and the staff are helpful - booking cars, boat trips and suggesting restaurants. One night we went to a night market and bought lots of local food which they then plated up for us in their restaurant. The owners also own 'The China house' in Penang which again is arty and has fantastic food. Temple tree next to Bon ton is also great but Bon Ton has the edge. Loved the simple breakfasts put in our fridge the night before for us to have in our own time on the verandah.

Room Tip: Get one of the huts around the pool.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Aruba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Bon Ton Resort is one of the best resorts I have stayed in in my life.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The resort is small en therefore quiet with a relaxed atmosphere. We stayed in cabin Yellow Orchid which is very tasteful decorated in a traditional style. The outdoor bathroom is fantastic! And so is the porch.
Every day breakfast is brought to the cabin in the end of the afternoon so next morning you can choose whenever you want to eat. Breakfast is full of little surprises.
The restaurant serves fantastic food for a very good price. Here, service for in house guests is very good with a complementary cocktail when you have dinner.
The resort is near Pantai Cenang. You could walk, but we rented a scooter instead.
Bon Ton is related to the animal shelter and on the resort several cats reside. We loved that! Waking up with a cute cat on the porch or cuddling them at the pool. Though, you have to like that. Ofcourse you can always pay no attention to them. But we couldn't :-)

Room Tip: There are only 8 accommodations and it seemed as if it doesn't matter which one is best. It depe...
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Charming accommodation - unusual, stylish & comfortable.
Peaceful, with friendly service & an excellent restaurant.

(If you care about wifi availability and a varied breakfast you might be a bit frustrated)

1 Thank MissBelletrist
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is one of the most unique places we have ever stayed. It is not a traditional resort as such, in that Bon Ton operates as both guest accommodation and animal sanctuary. The accommodation consists of six 100 year old Malay houses, which have been paintakingly dismantled at their original site and reconstructed here at Bon Ton. They have been tastefully decorated with a mix of old style furniture and modern conveniences. Next door at Temple Tree, (sister resort to Bon Ton) similar accommodation is found, but with a selection of different styles of traditional houses. During our stay, one of the owners kindly gave us a tour of a Temple Tree houses, which consisted of a sitting room, dining area, lounge room, separate bedroom and bathroom and large balcony, and it was delightful.
On arrival at Bon Ton, we were greeted by the very friendly staff and one of the owners, offered complimentary welcome drinks and showed to our house, which came with it's own house cat, who quickly made herself at home. Another cat attached itself to us every time we sat by the pool, so we had our own "house cat" and "pool cat".
We stayed for four nights in "Blue Ginger", the smallest of the houses at Bon Ton, which has an outdoor bathroom, with large wooden tub. The traditional houses come with flaws (they are 100 years old after all). Yes the floor boards creak, the animals jump on the roof at night, the mosquitos buzz, but this is what makes it such a unique experience. We loved the fact that if you were late getting in at night, someone had put on the mosquito zappers and lowered the mozzie net. The rooms provide a 'mosquito guerilla warfare kit' however, even though we used it, or because we used it, we didn't actually find any mozzies in our room.
The restaurant at Bon Ton is also very nice, and we enjoyed the fusion cuisine after eating street food in Malaysia for the previous two weeks. The music in the restaurant was great too. The staff were always really helpful and polite.
Other people have mentioned the proximity to the airport, however as we live under a flight path in a major city, we didn't even notice the planes. Proximity to the beach was also a problem for some, but although hot, it is only a 15 minute walk to the beach.
Bon Ton is not a traditional resort, but even better. It was a quirky, relaxing and enjoyable experience, perfect for anyone who doesn't want to stay in a mainstream boring resort room.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I recently spent 4 nights in the Bon Ton Resort with my girlfriend and we both had an excellent experience. Some basic research before booking meant I was aware that the resort is 1.5-2km from the nearest beach and also has an animal sanctuary on the grounds, meaning there are many cats in the resort (not that either of these things were issues for me).

The resort has a very chilled out vibe which is perfect for relaxing. The staff are extremely friendly and courteous, more than willing to help book tours/taxis for you or to offer recommendations for bars/restaurants/places to visit on the island. We stayed in the Laguna villa and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The villa was spacious and comfortable with a large, comfortable 4 poster bed, large soaking bathtub and wonderful shower facilities. The pool was small but refreshing and the restaurant served lovely food (we had both lunch and dinner in the resort).

The only mild negatives were the proximity to the airport which resulted in some occasional noise of aircraft coming in to land. The resort was also fairly expensive by Malaysian standards but all in all we felt it was well worth it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDPL84
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in this hotel for two nights with my friend. Rather than name it a characteristic resort, I'd call that place a "humble house". Something just goes wrong and drives me nuts!

To go out from the hotel, you always need a taxi because most attractions are seemingly far from your dwelling. Facilities in this hotel are old and without maintenance. The rest room is big but the toilet seat slides and moves when you sit on it. Inside the large room, a tiny air conditioner works inefficiently so that you have to suffer from the hot temperature all day long on that stone-like mattress. Even though you try to walk quietly on tiptoe, you're still likely to bother your room mate because the floor shakes with the closet doors and then safety box makes noises as well. Dusky light, small insects with cats wandering along the corridor, that makes the space even more weird.

Just can't enjoy the atmosphere when I first entered the house. What's more? The free-delivered friger breakfast was awful! Two pieces of cold toast, supermarket orange juice bottle and yogurt cup, the only homemade cake was even too sweet. For fruits, there were also poor choices. Instead of standing it, the only thing I can do was to bring my own breakfast home the night before.

To my most madness, I was asked to pay for the same bill twice on my departure day! I remembered that morning, I have called my taxi waiting outside for airport transfer. While I thought everything was ok, the staff informed me that I had to clear my room account. The fact was that I've paid all the bills by cash. Even though I showed them the receipts issued by their colleagues, they still didn't believe me. It wasted me much of time to wait for their doublechecking. I complained about their lousy coordination and finally they apologized for the inconvenience. However, that cost, the service quality and the accommodation experience. I can't even manage to believe that all just belonged to this resort!

Stayed July 2014
9 Thank ricky l
Sutz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Old Malay village brought to live again as the guest stay in authentic Malay houses. All houses are built on stilts and are most definitely quirky. So do expect the wood to creek beneath your feet while standing in the bathroom having a shower. Sleeping in a four-poster bed with all its authentic touches was a great experience (hearing all the noises in the night…).
The front desk manager with his dry humor was very welcoming and great fun at the same time. The whole team was an absolute joy to talk to and nearly (but really only nearly) made you overlook the really delicious dinner.
For us is it was a great experience to see the animals (cats and dogs) be given the same respect and attention as the (human) guests and how all could enjoy a lovely stay together.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
#8 of 100 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Bon Ton Resort? Share your experiences!