“Unbeatable location and utmost seclusion from the outside world”

Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Kuala Lumpur
“Unbeatable location and utmost seclusion from the outside world”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I've been an avid Langkawi fan since like forever. I usually choose the much cheaper option by staying next door - Kedawang Inn. However since I'm traveling solo for my birthday getaway this year, I opted for Sunset as a self-pampering treat :)

I'm pretty familiar with the surroundings of Sunset as I needed to pass through the resort to the beach when I stayed in Kedawang; the only thing I wasn't familiar with was their rooms. I stayed in their cheapest room - Sunset III. I've booked directly with them, it was very straightforward and email responses were swift. The room itself is pretty old and worn out. As what another traveler has mentioned, the TV is badly outdated, not to mention signal is so poor with pathetic channels available. No Astro. No flat screens. If the owner or management is reading our reviews, PLEASE update. Even cheaper inns I've stayed in have flat screen tvs with Astro channels. No excuse for this. For me, this is the major letdown. I like some tv time at night before I sleep no matter where I am!

The bathroom is old too, the tap in my room is all loose and wobbly. But it wasn't leaking so I didn't complain and make a fuss out of it. Shower head is super old and rusty, no good. Heater itself is old too, but it works fine - hot water functions well. So again, no biggie but they can definitely do an upgrade on the shower system. Same as the above, I've stayed in cheaper budget friendly inns and they have state of the art shower systems, yes even rain shower. So what's Sunset's excuse for not upgrading when the room rates aren't that cheap to begin with.

Air conditioning is good, the aircon is definitely a new upgrade I believe. The remote control is available so guests could tweak it to their own liking. The bed is comfy, firm enough for me as I love firm mattresses. But, the pillows..definitely needed a change. It's old, dirty and worn out. 2 pillows are so flat, and the extra pillow I found in the cupboard is fluffy and newer. But I didn't use it as I found a stain on its pillowcase :( the blankets are worn out too, but it kept me warm so no complains. Housekeeping comes every morning to clean up. They provide beach towels as well. Sadly, the bath towels are all clearly worn out too, although it is clean.

There is a minibar in the room, so that for me is the saving grace :) especially for Langkawi, where you could buy super cheap good beers to stock up in the fridge to enjoy anytime. The size of the room is decent for a solo traveler or couples. If more than 2, do go for the bigger rooms.

Breakfast is very simple but decent enough for me, as I don't eat heavy early in the morning. The "buffet" spread consists of breads for toasts, spreads-butters and jams, cereals with milk, a fried dish (noodles for all 3 mornings I'm there), fresh fruits (watermelons, papayas, pineapples, bananas), coffee/tea and lastly eggs made to order (omelettes/fried/boiled/scrambled). It's served with a tiny slice of generic hotdog and slices of cucumbers and tomatoes. The breakfast room is situated right in front of the beach, which is their winning point.

Sundeck chairs are aplenty, although some guests "booked" them early in the morning for the best locations with their towels. Well it's not a big deal considering you can actually just sunbathe on the beach itself with no difficulty. The entire stretch of beach is almost always secluded and peaceful (it only gets a little busy in the evenings when locals arrive for a dip and to watch the sunsets). There is no swimming pool in this resort, please do take note on that. They do have a little hut (pondok) providing massages. Prices wise, slightly on the high side (about RM80-RM100). But if you fancy a massage by the beach, it's justifiable :)

Location is a gem, it's situated at the quietest side of Cenang beach. Yet close enough to everything you'd ever need. Be it the sundry stores, shopping mall (you can purchase all the alcohol, chocolates and perfumes in this place, next to the Underwater World), McD, restaurants (Red Tomato is just a few minutes walk down the street on your left from the resort) and even gerais (food stalls) are available for the adventurous traveler; a joy for the locals like me :). All within a very short walking distance.

There used to be a larger Oasis bar right beside the resort..Oasis has shrunk in size but not in the quality of their drinks and friendliness (major love their margaritas and Long Island Tea). Ani and her husband still mans the bar/restaurant, and I still humbly think it's the best spot to witness gorgeous sunsets. It's just a few footsteps away from my room to the bar, what more can I ask for?

I do have to commend on the friendliness of the staffs in the resort. Sarah, Mas and the rest are all warm and friendly. Helpful and attentive as well. Mas helped me to book a taxi to the airport in advance upon my request, everything was in order. There wasn't any glitches, my check in and check out was smooth and fast.

There is so much potential in this resort, and I so very much hope the owner of this resort will restore this wonderful resort to its full glory. Just a mini upgrade in its room facilities (tv, shower, taps, beddings & towels) will be more than enough.

Will I go back there? Definitely. Because of its location and direct beach access. It is privacy & seclusion that I value the most, and for this little price to pay as compared to many other fancy yet crowded resorts elsewhere, why not?

Room Tip: Rooms are limited, there isn't much choices in general. But if possible, do try to request for a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MitchKL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

If you are in Langkawi for the beach minus the crowd. Close to the action and accessibility to the restaurants too Sunset Beach can offer that. Do not expect however of a grand place to stay. Even the tv is outdated and the breakfast will get pretty tiring if you stay beyond 3 days here. Good thing the simple omelet is yummy but the orange juice was so miserable :(. The staff were nice but not that fluent english speakers. They try though and they are very pleasant to all the guests. Some improvement can do wonders to this place with their location & staff its already a gem to be polished.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank jetsetterPH
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Visited Langkawi in Nov '13 and stayed here with my family. We did not book ahead and took a chance by going over to Langkawi although it was close to a public holiday weekend - Deepavali. Drove around and came accross this quaint hotel at Pantai Cenang. The front of the hotel was nice decorated compare the adjacent motels and hotels which seemed messy in comparison. We asked for a double room but were upgraded to a family room at no extra cost - this was a very nice gesture. The front desk staff were friendly and would greet us whenever they saw us passing by. The restaurant was only open for breakfast but this wasn't a big problem as there are tons of restaurants at Cenang beach. The beach was nice and clean and the best part about this motel was that it was so quiet and peaceful. Would definitely come back here again.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Lovely place, has it's own stretch of beach, the path leading to the rooms is beautiful. The room is a tad small suitable for couple, if you are travelling with more than 2 person, you may want to consider the family room! Location wise, no complaints.

Room Tip: The standard room is sufficient only for couple, if you have more than 2 person, maybe is best if yo...
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Location: 10/10
It's in the heart of Cenang beach, anywhere you walk out, restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, mini marts, etc are in sight immediately. Try the Little Mexican Bar and Restaurant on the left of the hotel. Wonderful.

Service: 8/10
Generally the staff were very pleasant. Despite talks that people in Langkawi are only hospitable towards foreign tourists. This is not entirely true. We had an enjoyable stay. Even the taxi drivers were friendly at best.

Rooms: 8/10
We had a minor trouble with the toilet not willing to flush. but a quick trip to the reception solved it, they sent in their staff to fix it within minutes. Rooms are clean and very Balinese. Loved the bathroom!

CON: the only setback was the lack of room phones !! every time you need something you have to walk up front to the reception in front at the entrance. and the reception office closes at 11pm, so make sure you have all you need before then.

TIP: Bring own toiletries.

Would definitely stay there again.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The grounds in this place are beautiful but the chalets could do with a lick of paint to freshen them up. Breakfast buffet was good and the view was awesome over the bay (Shame about the weather we had). Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful and worked really hard throughout our stay as we had tropical rainstorms for three days with very heavy downpours. The staff constantly cleaned the reception area and walkway. Our room was spacious and clean and the shower in the bathroom was good. Bring your own toiletries as they are not supplied. There is plenty of choice of local restaurants in walking distance. I recommend the mexican one nearby - awesome meal there and such good price too, just wish i could remember the name of it! We hired a car to go around the island for one day and that was adequate time as it is such a small island. Make sure to go on the cable car - it is an awesome view from the top. No words can describe it. There is no wi-fi in the rooms, only in reception, which needs to be considered when booking.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights. The 2 female staff at reception made us feel most welcome & were extremely helpful! The rooms could do with a little bit of renovating but were clean. Breakfast had limited choice but was nice & the restaurant over looks the beach so it was the perfect setting. Location was brilliant, close to shops & about a minute walk to the beach. Free wifi was available by reception in a nice seating area. Safety deposit also available in reception. The whole site feels extremely secure & we really enjoyed our stay!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang
Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi

Been to Sunset Beach Resort? Share your experiences!