“Best place to be with your loved ones”

Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Sunset Beach Resort had given us a memorable experience, the place was nice and relaxing; not to mention in touch with nature and the sea is right behind us! Highly recommended for couples or for those who wants an escape from their busy life.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lettecia87

Reviewed 7 December 2013

The hotel is located conveniently in one of the main tourist areas on the island. It is walking distance to the underwater world and many shops/restaurants. Many hotels in that area have a very narrow strip of property between the road and the beach, but this place did a great job of turning that into a nice balinese style resort with small houses holding 2 rooms each. The landscaping varies throughout, so it makes each room look unique. Inside the room was quite spacious. We took the family room which had 2 beds very closely connected, with another pull out at the foot of those two. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The beach is nice and the sunsets were great.

The few down sides of the place. There are a few maintenance issues, such as broken chairs and a few other minor things than could be cleaned up. They do have breakfast, but no real restaurant or beverage outlet. However, there are many very close by, including one on the neighboring hotel. They also don't run beach/water activities, so you can get that from next door as well. One other gotcha was in the staff's poor handling of customer details. We had asked for a list of tours they offered, and were given a sheet...which was the back side of another guest's registration form complete with all of their personal information.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nathan L
Reviewed 23 November 2013

After reading all the great reviews we opted to stay at Sunset for over a week - it was exactly what we were looking for; with a nice mix of travellers from families to solo people from all over the region as well as Europe & Australia.
This is not an integrated "resort" by any stretch of the imagination - more like an "inn" - but all the facilities worked for us, the location was perfect; we enjoyed the simple but really pleasant breakfasts on the beach front, the staff organised a car rental for us without any undue nonsense - this was such an easy place to stay.
The staff were absolutely fantastic fun - pretty upbeat with great warmth; a smile was there anytime of the day.
Our choice of room was Sunset II - pleasant size for the money, great value and clean and tidy. This is not 5 star - but honestly the value and overall experience was fantastic - we'll be back again for sure!

Room Tip: Make sure that you book ahead directly from their web site. Expect the response to take a day or so...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IanW-QLD
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed with a group of friends and found the resort very appealing for a western traveler. There was free wife in the lobby. Nice staff at check in. Rooms are large and private enough. Decor is local, Southeast Asian. The resort is small, and it makes it quiet and relaxing. The restaurant facing the beach is nice. Breakfast is OK, nothing to brag about, simple but you can still get your egg/toast with coffee. Beach and lounge areas are nice. And sunset is beautiful from the beach lounge. What was nice about Sunset Resort is its location: it is closed in/private enough, but located in the area with many shops and restaurants. Food options are fantastic around the resort. I would recommend this place for families with kids - book the family suite. Overall - good value for money. If you book in advance, you get great value for money.

Room Tip: try to get a room closer to restaurant and beach lounge.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ayfellow
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I've been an avid Langkawi fan since like forever. I usually choose the much cheaper option by staying next door - Kedawang Inn. However since I'm traveling solo for my birthday getaway this year, I opted for Sunset as a self-pampering treat :)

I'm pretty familiar with the surroundings of Sunset as I needed to pass through the resort to the beach when I stayed in Kedawang; the only thing I wasn't familiar with was their rooms. I stayed in their cheapest room - Sunset III. I've booked directly with them, it was very straightforward and email responses were swift. The room itself is pretty old and worn out. As what another traveler has mentioned, the TV is badly outdated, not to mention signal is so poor with pathetic channels available. No Astro. No flat screens. If the owner or management is reading our reviews, PLEASE update. Even cheaper inns I've stayed in have flat screen tvs with Astro channels. No excuse for this. For me, this is the major letdown. I like some tv time at night before I sleep no matter where I am!

The bathroom is old too, the tap in my room is all loose and wobbly. But it wasn't leaking so I didn't complain and make a fuss out of it. Shower head is super old and rusty, no good. Heater itself is old too, but it works fine - hot water functions well. So again, no biggie but they can definitely do an upgrade on the shower system. Same as the above, I've stayed in cheaper budget friendly inns and they have state of the art shower systems, yes even rain shower. So what's Sunset's excuse for not upgrading when the room rates aren't that cheap to begin with.

Air conditioning is good, the aircon is definitely a new upgrade I believe. The remote control is available so guests could tweak it to their own liking. The bed is comfy, firm enough for me as I love firm mattresses. But, the pillows..definitely needed a change. It's old, dirty and worn out. 2 pillows are so flat, and the extra pillow I found in the cupboard is fluffy and newer. But I didn't use it as I found a stain on its pillowcase :( the blankets are worn out too, but it kept me warm so no complains. Housekeeping comes every morning to clean up. They provide beach towels as well. Sadly, the bath towels are all clearly worn out too, although it is clean.

There is a minibar in the room, so that for me is the saving grace :) especially for Langkawi, where you could buy super cheap good beers to stock up in the fridge to enjoy anytime. The size of the room is decent for a solo traveler or couples. If more than 2, do go for the bigger rooms.

Breakfast is very simple but decent enough for me, as I don't eat heavy early in the morning. The "buffet" spread consists of breads for toasts, spreads-butters and jams, cereals with milk, a fried dish (noodles for all 3 mornings I'm there), fresh fruits (watermelons, papayas, pineapples, bananas), coffee/tea and lastly eggs made to order (omelettes/fried/boiled/scrambled). It's served with a tiny slice of generic hotdog and slices of cucumbers and tomatoes. The breakfast room is situated right in front of the beach, which is their winning point.

Sundeck chairs are aplenty, although some guests "booked" them early in the morning for the best locations with their towels. Well it's not a big deal considering you can actually just sunbathe on the beach itself with no difficulty. The entire stretch of beach is almost always secluded and peaceful (it only gets a little busy in the evenings when locals arrive for a dip and to watch the sunsets). There is no swimming pool in this resort, please do take note on that. They do have a little hut (pondok) providing massages. Prices wise, slightly on the high side (about RM80-RM100). But if you fancy a massage by the beach, it's justifiable :)

Location is a gem, it's situated at the quietest side of Cenang beach. Yet close enough to everything you'd ever need. Be it the sundry stores, shopping mall (you can purchase all the alcohol, chocolates and perfumes in this place, next to the Underwater World), McD, restaurants (Red Tomato is just a few minutes walk down the street on your left from the resort) and even gerais (food stalls) are available for the adventurous traveler; a joy for the locals like me :). All within a very short walking distance.

There used to be a larger Oasis bar right beside the resort..Oasis has shrunk in size but not in the quality of their drinks and friendliness (major love their margaritas and Long Island Tea). Ani and her husband still mans the bar/restaurant, and I still humbly think it's the best spot to witness gorgeous sunsets. It's just a few footsteps away from my room to the bar, what more can I ask for?

I do have to commend on the friendliness of the staffs in the resort. Sarah, Mas and the rest are all warm and friendly. Helpful and attentive as well. Mas helped me to book a taxi to the airport in advance upon my request, everything was in order. There wasn't any glitches, my check in and check out was smooth and fast.

There is so much potential in this resort, and I so very much hope the owner of this resort will restore this wonderful resort to its full glory. Just a mini upgrade in its room facilities (tv, shower, taps, beddings & towels) will be more than enough.

Will I go back there? Definitely. Because of its location and direct beach access. It is privacy & seclusion that I value the most, and for this little price to pay as compared to many other fancy yet crowded resorts elsewhere, why not?

Room Tip: Rooms are limited, there isn't much choices in general. But if possible, do try to request for a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MitchKL
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

If you are in Langkawi for the beach minus the crowd. Close to the action and accessibility to the restaurants too Sunset Beach can offer that. Do not expect however of a grand place to stay. Even the tv is outdated and the breakfast will get pretty tiring if you stay beyond 3 days here. Good thing the simple omelet is yummy but the orange juice was so miserable :(. The staff were nice but not that fluent english speakers. They try though and they are very pleasant to all the guests. Some improvement can do wonders to this place with their location & staff its already a gem to be polished.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank jetsetterPH
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Visited Langkawi in Nov '13 and stayed here with my family. We did not book ahead and took a chance by going over to Langkawi although it was close to a public holiday weekend - Deepavali. Drove around and came accross this quaint hotel at Pantai Cenang. The front of the hotel was nice decorated compare the adjacent motels and hotels which seemed messy in comparison. We asked for a double room but were upgraded to a family room at no extra cost - this was a very nice gesture. The front desk staff were friendly and would greet us whenever they saw us passing by. The restaurant was only open for breakfast but this wasn't a big problem as there are tons of restaurants at Cenang beach. The beach was nice and clean and the best part about this motel was that it was so quiet and peaceful. Would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Langkawi
Adya Hotel Langkawi
Adya Hotel Langkawi
#1 of 17 in Kuah

Been to Sunset Beach Resort? Share your experiences!