Sunset Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
White Lodge Motel(Pantai Cenang)
Desa Motel(Pantai Tengah)
Tropical Resort(Pantai Tengah)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Nadias Hotel(Langkawi)
  • Pool
All reviewsunderwater worldtropical gardenfamily roompalm treeslocal channelsper nightbasic amenitieskoh lipesmall fridgesun loungersred tomatofree shopsceiling fanthe main streetbeachislandida
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2008

My boyfriend and I had a very enjoyable 5 night stay at Sunset Beach Resort. The staff were very accommodating and always referred to us by our names, we felt they had taken the time to get to know us individually. They were also really good regarding excursions and were happy to book trips on your behalf.

We stayed in room 8 which was very spacious. There was the bedroom, a small dressing room and the bathroom with a huge shower. The bathroom was nice and looked clean, though there was a crack down the sink. There was a fridge in the bedroom which was empty so we stored bottled water in there. Lots of space for clothes etc. Our bed was made daily.

Our only problem with our room was that there was only one available plug socket in our room, so we could only charge one thing at a time - we had two cameras and a video camera with us!

Breakfast was really nice. We had it overlooking the beach. There was a selection of cereal, fruit and toast. Also, a choice of fried, scrambled, boiled eggs or an omelette each morning. The breakfast staff were lovely.

The hotel is located about 5 minutes from Underwater World and is situated in a good place. I'd recommend staying on the Pantai Cenang part of the island as opposed to Kuah (the capital). Sunset Beach backs on to the next beach after Cenang, however Sunset's beach is much quiter so more serene and peaceful.

We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beccaldn
Reviewed 14 June 2008

We booked into Sunset Beach based on the reviews on this website for 7 nights and were very disappointed with our experience - so much so that we moved on after 3 nights there.

Now I should mention, myself and my wife have travelled (backpacked) through out South East Asia before and we are used to basic accommodation. Sunset Beach is basic and it is cheap and perhaps if I was staying only 1 or 2 nights I could overlook it's failings, but by the third day I was desperate to hire a car, find somewhere else to stay and move on.

There are a number of things that added up to this:

Firstly, location. Pantai Cenang / Pantai Tengah is the "backpacker" part of Langkawi, but unlike other backpacking areas I've stayed in Thailand and Vietnam it is DIRTY. I mean really, really, DIRTY. Rubbish strewn everywhere, including marking the high tide mark on the otherwise picturesque beach. The area smells like an open sewer and looks like a tip. Now, this isn't a direct criticism of Sunset, as their grounds are very clean (the beach however is like the rest of the area completely strewn with litter), but something to be aware of.

In the 3 days we were in this area, eating at different places, all 3 of myself, my wife and my young son got food poisoning. That's just the 2nd time in 10+ years and countless countries of traveling I've experienced food poisoning and I'm sure the general dirtyness of the area is a major contributing factor.

Now, Sunset is marketed here as a "friendly" place but I would describe them as "amicable" at best. They didn't seem particularly interested in anything and would rather be somewhere else it seemed.

The rooms are very poor and generally falling into a state of disrepair. Once something breaks in this place, a chair, a toilet, whatever, it stays broken. Our toilet failed to flush upon arrival and despite several times asking for it to fix, nothing happened.

As others have noted, the rooms are very dark making them unsuitable for relaxing in during the day. The bathrooms are just really really poor - one of those crappy electric shower water heaters that allow you a choice between a cold dribble and a luke-warm drip. The sink had no plug and no hot water tap. As others have noted, no ventilation is also a problem.

The ants at this place drove us nuts - getting into everything and everywhere - covering toothbrushes and the like.

Breakfast is "bare minimum" and very very average. Ok sure, it's cheap so perhaps you could always decide to go get breakfast elsewhere .... if anything in the area opened before 11am that is.

Sunset is part of a now conglomerate of retail stores, cafes and restaurants in the area. Where as the rest are all sparkling new, Sunset Beach feels like it hasn't had a $ spent on it in years - perhaps they needed the money for all the new acquisitions and other properties?

As I mentioned, we originally booked in for 7 nights. I booked out after 3 and this didn't raise an eyebrow with the staff. No questions asked, they obviously are used to people leaving early!

Langkawi is only worth going to if you can spend a bit more money on resort. It's sad but true - if you want a chilled out backpacker experience try Thailand.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank AshH74
Reviewed 4 June 2008

We only stayed here for two nights as the hotel was fully booked for the rest of our stay on Langkawi. We had room 28. Room was a bit dark, bathroom had no ventilation but aside from the that the room was more than adequate and for the price you really can't complain. Staff were friendly, location was good, beach was lovely. The hotel does't serve food or drink (apart from breakfast) but the bar next door was lovely, especially at night where you could sit and enjoy a cheap (£1 per glass) beer. There were loads of restaurants within a few minutes walk. Overall a nice relaxing stay for a great price, not luxury but on holiday how long do you really spend in your room?

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2008

You could spend $600+ a night at the Datai or Tanjung Rhu or Four Seasons or Andaman, or you could stay here for less than $100, and for my money, this is more the real Langkawi. The place is a small complex of bungalows running from the road to the beach. Once thru the stone gate, the noise just vanishes, and you can step out your door and be in the surf in about 1 minute. There is a central pathway running thru frangipani and hibiscus bushes, and traditional malay wood carvings adorn the walls. I stayed in the smallest bungalow; it was more than adequate. Clean, comfy double bed and excellent air con. Bathroom could do with modernisation and better showers, but they delivered hot water at the end of the day and were clean, and thats what mattered. Breakfast is a simple affair of fresh fruit, eggs and toast in the open air dining room looking out to sea as the sun rises behind you and the light changes. The steeply sloping beach runs for what seems like miles to the south and is a lovely walk. A few hundred yards north is the rocky headland separating Pantai (beach) Tenga from Pantai Cenang. The latter runs for miles and is the busier and location of many fine cheap beach bars where you can enjoy a beer for RM4. ($1=RM3.25). Sadly there is no walkway round the headland, you have to walk along the road and divert down to the beach just past the Aquarium. Both beaches do have the usual human orginated flotsam and jetsam on them (trash) which is really sad, but thankfully its relatively little compared to most Malaysian beaches. Its a shame the council doesnt run a daily beach clean up squad. But they'd rather spend the money on ill conceived mega projects that become abandoned failures/eyesores. Ho hum. Right next to Sunset Villas is Oasis on the beach where you can get get decent Indian food and a beer, but the proprietress is a grumpy woman and you wont want to go back there night after night. So, super luxury at the Datai in the middle of nowhere (but beautiful), or hanging out at a busy beach that comes alive at sunset every day. Its a no brainer.

Stayed: May 2008
3  Thank Scotsmaninmalaysia
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We stayed in Sunset III. Triple sharing. There was no need for an extra bed since this room has a pull out bed from below the bed. However, of cause once the pull out bed is out it takes up a lot of space in the room. So we put it away in the day time. I got a chance to check all the room categories and they are all pretty good but the best looking is Sunset III for it's pretty bathroom with sky light. Also, because of the sky light in the bathroom, by leaving the bathroom door opened it makes the bedroom the brightest of the whole lot. The other room categories are much darker. However, Sunset II is also quite big and if an extra bed is required I feel that it is more spacious than Sunset III.

As mentioned previously, the service and staffs were very good. Upon checking in we found one of the light bulbs fused. Also, the room was set up for only 2, not 3. And the pull out bed was sandy. But everything was rectified immediately.

Breakfast was sufficient. Of cause I would have preferred a more comprehensive buffet.. But for the price we paid for, it was ok.

Very nice beach with sufficient longers and shade from the many coconut trees.

Finally, our flight was in the evening and we had to check out and leave the luggages at the reception. The Sunset has 2 very good and large bathrooms with separate toilets for guest use. Langkawi was so hot and it was a relief to be able to freshen up even though we have already checked out.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Meowwww1968