“Sunset Beach - Not up to the ratings”

Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Forfar, United Kingdom
“Sunset Beach - Not up to the ratings”
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Firstly, when I tried to book this hotel back in Oct 08, it was like pulling teeth to get a reply from them, then when they finally did (after about 3-4 times), they insisted on a credit card number, but do not have a secure website for you to do this. Then we tried their fax number - actually tried 2 different fax numbers from both my work and my husbands numerous times and neither worked - they just rang and rang and rang. So then tried the email - AGAIN - and again no reply despite numerous tries. In the end, Baskie got in touch with them on my behalf but they still wouldn't give him a firm yes or no about our booking. Shortly after that I did finally get an email confirming. I should have known then to make other arrangements but didn't. Luckily there were no arguments when we arrived.

So we came to check in and the woman at the desk was very nice and friendly. They were still cleaning our room but she said we could put our bags in the room, which we did. When there I saw the state of the pillows, which were the most dirty I have seen anywhere - absolutely disgusting. So if you do stay here, look under the pillow cases. The mattress seemed better but I didn't get a good look. I decided right then that I would only sleep in my silk sleeping sac the whole time. And as far as cleanliness, we stayed 4 nights and I don't think the floor was ever swept, let alone washed the entire time. There were the same dust balls/bits of fluff/whatever you want to call them in the same place day after day. And in the bathroom, the shower may have been been rinsed but again, places where some of our talc powder went on the floor stayed there the whole 4 days. And the state of the bathroom was poor - permanent grout mould stains everywhere and the towels, although washed, were also permanently stained (with what I didn't want to ask) and had holes in them. Also, the actual shower controls were up so high that I couldn't change them the entire time. Since I am, more or less, the same height as many Malaysian women, I cannot believe they situated the shower unit so high. Even at my tip toes using my full arm stretch I couldn't even get close to touching the controls.

The breakfast was not nice at all - the same old tired, boring (read rubbish) Western breakfast. We only bothered one morning and regretted even that.

The beach was nice, but all the other guests were completely selfish and put their towels on the beach loungers all day, even when they went away for hours at a time, so that no one else could use them. The water, if you went in for a swim, was not nice at all. Not dirty in the sense of oil slicks or rubbish floating about, but murky, very murky. In fact the first day we went in for a swim I was surprised that I was only in a few inches of water, but couldn't see down to my feet and also felt like I was being sort of bitten - like thousands of pin pricks. A real disappointment after seeing the lovely beach and seemingly blue water all around. The last 2 days I didn't feel well at all, and I put it down to perhaps getting some inedible ice cubes, but now I think about it, I did put my head under water and I think it may have been the dirty water, even though I wasn't swimming for long or very often. I noticed not many other guests went swimming very much either. That may be why or it may be some couldn't be bothered to leave their loungers, which it seemed some never did the whole time we were there.

Back to the room and there are no door knobs and the door doesn't close, so you either have to let it swing wide open for all the world to see into your room, or lock it or use the chain lock. Not good. And mossies EVERYWHERE, also ants. It was no coincidence that the mini-mart right next door stocked bug spray (the big, red industrial type cans) in great quantities, and that every single room you passed by had either one of those in the doorway and a mossie coil, or BOTH. This, I think, was down to the fact they had these water features everywhere, which on first sight seemed nice, but in reality were just mossie breeding grounds, and loads of them. Stagnant water everywhere for them to nurture in.

When it came to pay, they don't take your card there, you have to walk quite a bit away to pay at their gift shop, which is not exactly next door to the hotel.

The only good thing about this hotel was that the staff, all of them, were very, very friendly. This doesn't make up for it being overpriced (we had a family room, which meant 2 double mattresses on a platform right next to each other - yes just mattresses on the floor basically which we paid £60 a night for), the room not clean, mossie ridden, bad breakfast and dirty sea to swim in.

Also the area around it was just a strip mall, and building site on top of that. God forbid you would have a bit too much to drink and try to walk home - they are re-doing the sidewalks and there are HUGE, DEEP holes everywhere - most of them with no cautions or impediments for anyone to fall right in. And there is hardly any street lighting, so even if you aren't tipsy, you could easily fall in anyway. There are many places to eat, especially if you want to get chips (fries) or full English fry-ups shoved down your gob. But basically not one cooking local Malaysian food. There was a good one called Haroos, but it served not Malaysian but some really nice Korean dishes and the waiter was excellent, truly a credit.

There is nowhere to eat or drink at the hotel, tho there is a place on the beach right next door which is pretty average (the white wine is yuck - sweet ?Blue Nun?).

If you want a place on the beach, but that you wouldn't want to swim in, don't care about cleanliness, or care that the surrounding area is nothing more than a strip mall and currently a big building site (which is what most of Langkawi seemed to us, apart from the geopark), then I guess it is okay, but even then I would say if you want a beach holiday, forget Langkawi and go to its neighbour, which you can see from some of the island - which is Thailand - much, much better in all areas. Langkawi, Paradise Island, I don't think so.

PS: Do go on one of the eco mangrove tours. This was the only thing we liked on the island - wild eagles, beautiful mangroves, monkeys, etc.

• Liked — Not much - the sunsets were pretty good
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BridgetC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
west midlands england
Reviewed 18 January 2009

We booked the hotel in May 2008 and when we arrived after a very long train and ferry journey they told us there had been a misunderstanding and our booking had been cancelled. The manager found us one nights accommodation at a guest house next door but could offer us nothing for subsequent nights When we asked her what she was going to do she walked away and refused to pay for a taxi to another hotel for us

Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank kateandmark
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 December 2008

Sunset Beach Resort has a great location if you're going to Langkawi to hang out with the locals. It's on Pantai Cenang (Cenang Beach), the local hotspot for travellers and locals alike, with good food and shopping just outside your door.

The Resort itself is very aesthetically pleasing with a simple layout and great Balinese design. The rooms were simple and clean and far above expectation for the price that I paid. Though it didn't have a private beach, it has a great spot on Pantai Cenang. Another plus is that it's located next to my favorite cafe: Oasis Cafe.

• Liked — The Resort itself was very pretty and tastefully decorated.
  • Disliked — Lots of mosquitos!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 20 December 2008

We recently stayed at the Sunset resort and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful to us - one member of staff even lent us some cash when the ATM in Cenang Beach was out of operation! The hotel is in a lovely quiet stretch of beach but close enough to the centre of Cenang and Tengah to allow you access to plenty of bars and restaurants. The breakfast was great, served in a room overlooking the beach. This is the perfect place to watch the sunset, some people travelled to the beach for that, we didn't even have to leave our sunloungers!

The rooms are really big - we had one of the smallest rooms and it was big enough for the three of us (all adults) even with a second bed in there.

Great value for money, we would certainly go back.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blueeyes30
Melbourne
Reviewed 18 December 2008

We are a youngish couple (21 years old) and we felt as if the staff were looking down on us the whole time. It's definitely more suited to slightly older couples. Beach location was cool, and breakfast was good.

We highly recommend not catching a bus from KL to Langkawi, we missed the last ferry because our bus driver was so arrogant and nicotine addicted. Well worth investing in a flight, as we did for the trip home.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuwait
Reviewed 17 December 2008

The price at which the rooms are available is unbelievable.

The location of the hotel too is excellent - Sea world (acquarium) is practically right next to the hotel and Cenang beach is also only a 5 mins walk.

The staff was very helpful and cooperative. The breakfast was simple but nice.

We booked a Sunset II room and found it to be quite spacious. The room and the bathroom was clean.

The hotel beach is very clean with an amazing view (do not miss the sunset!).

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank razaldo
York
Reviewed 17 November 2008

We stayed here for 9 nights and loved it. It's simple but great value, and the beach is lovely and quiet. The Oasis next door makes up for the lack of restaurant and is a good place for a couple of beers at sunset. For a cheap but delicious local lunch, turn right out the hotel and take the short walk to the T junction where there is a Malay cafe next to a minimart where you can get delicious fried rice and noodles for a few pence.
The Lighthouse is worth splashing out on for its dreamy location, and the other 'Sun' businesses are worth checking out too. Debbies Place does as good a steak as I've had anywhere in the world and is brilliant value.
You can't beat this place for simple good service and fab location.

• Liked — Spacious and clean
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jokyo
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,299 reviews
Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Langkawi
The Danna Langkawi, Malaysia

Been to Sunset Beach Resort? Share your experiences!