“amazing view, disgusting rooms.”
Review of Hotel Guanamar

Hotel Guanamar
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Playa Carrillo
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband and I had booked a week package deal with Ecoterra Costa Rica travel company. Part of that deal included 3 nights at Hotel Guanamar. This was probably one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at hostels and low budget accommodation in several countries and this was the worst. Yes the views of Playa Carrillo from the restaurant and pool were amazing but that was it. On the first day we arrived the pool was incredibly dangerously dirty that you could not see the bottom, fortunatly they cleaned it the next day and it looked much better. The staff was very young and unhelpful, the beach was quite a down and uphill walk or bus ride away. The worst were the rooms, they looked like they had not been cleaned or renovated since the 1970's. There was dust, mold and mildew everywhere, 100's of bugs and ants in every corner, self and ledge. I suspect there was an ant farm behind the bathroom mirror cause they kept coming from there and pieces of dirt kept falling down from behind. This would have been more understandable had the rate for this room been under $50/night. They offered no in room amenities such as a fridge or coffee maker. I would suggest staying in a low budget hotel or hostel in Samara and busing for the day to Playa Carrillo if you really would like to experience that beach. There is nothing around Playa Carrillo and if you have no kitchen amenities the restaurant selection is expensive and limited. I have no idea what rooms the people who have written great reviews were staying in but our room was far from acceptable.

Room Tip: Do not stay here but if you do, our room was up top close to the restaurant and parking lot and it w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shelenechrista

Reviewed 9 February 2014

This was the first time that I visited the zone and stayed in this hotel. The people is quite nice and the attention was good enough. The infrastructure it’s ok, not very luxurious or fancy (if you look that kind of details on the hotels) but in good shape. The highlight of the hotel is the view from the rooms, restaurant and pool, you can observe the whole bay and the beach!
The beach is amazing, calm like a pool and trans-lucid blue!

Room Tip: From the standard rooms to the restaurant is can be tedious (walking) but if you don't have a ca...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for three nights at the end of January, and had a nice experience at Carrillo. We stayed in a room with ocean view and that is highly recommended. Although the rooms are somewhat run-down, it was clean, specious and the view was breath taking. Wifi did not work in the room, but in the restaurant area and at the reception. The included breakfast was plentiful and tasty.
The staff was helpful with stuff like booking taxis, recommendations for trips and gave tips about restaurants (nearby and in Samara).

Room Tip: The ocean view seems the best (beach front did not seem to have the same view due to trees in front...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

While definitely not five star rated it was quiet, friendly and had a beautiful pool and patios with stunning ocean and sunset views. The included break was good and service was prompt and friendly. The rooms did lack upgrades and ammenities but were large with king beds flat screen tvs and wifi works in room. Easy to find ample parking

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I should qualify this review by saying that my husband and I have done a lot of traveling, and we are not 'fussy' travelers. We have stayed in many different types of accommodations, including backpacker hostels, and all we really ask for is a clean room and friendly service. We received neither at Hotel Guanamar.

As a previous reviewer mentioned, our first red flag was the lobby area, which was dirty and run down. The young man who greeted us was not very friendly. When we headed to our room (#106) we were shocked - it was literally filthy, despite having been "cleaned" prior to our arrival, as indicated by the decorative toilet paper display.

Where to start...the overall room was completely run down and filthy, we didn't want to touch any of the surfaces. There were dirty finger prints on the walls and stains on the lampshades. There were ants EVERYWHERE. I understand that we were in a tropical climate and can handle a few bugs, but there were ants on the floor, on the chair, on the dressers, in the bathroom, etc. In addition to the overall uncleanliness and the bugs, there was what appeared to be dirt or possibly insect feces on several of the surfaces, included the drinking glasses.

We went to the front desk to express how unhappy we were and to advise them that we were considering changing hotels. Nothing was offered. No maid service, no room change, no offer to speak with a manager. It actually seemed as though the young man was trying not to laugh at us. We called another hotel in the area that thankfully had availability. We then asked the man at the front desk to call us a taxi. The person he called was not a real taxi driver, and was likely one of the employee's friends or family members. The car was unmarked and there was no meter. We should not have gotten in the car but were so eager to get out of there that we let our emotions trump our commons sense. The car drove us exactly 2 kilometers up the road (about a 3 minute drive) and charged us 5000 colones (ten American dollars!) We paid in disgust in order to put the experience behind us. The employees at the hotel we arrived at confirmed that this trip should have cost about 1500-2000 colones.

I have attached the photos I quickly took of some of the dirty parts of the room. I only wish we had taken MORE photos of the room in order to show everyone how truly disgusting it was. Please, save yourself the hassle and do not stay here!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank WanderingVeg
Reviewed 16 January 2014

To arrive here was an ordeal, but the accommodations made us run- and quickly! It looked bad in the night, arriving to less than well maintained rooms, but when the sun rose and I saw the condition of the room in 'natural light' we left. Period. I was not staying at a hotel that allowed the unsanitary conditions that were our room, there were spots of dried blood in our bathroom on top of the years of grime in the soap dish, the tables that were sticky and chairs on the deck that were broken. This place needs a complete over-haul!! Thankfully my partner and I had a rental car and quickly found a more suitable place to lodge for a few days. As we were leaving we overheard a conversation from 3 women wondering how they could fill their time and not be at the hotel as it was less than what they bargained for as well. I feel very lucky we had a choice to leave, as it seemed they did not. There is no wifi in your room- you have to go to the office area for that. Oh, and the beach is not on the property, its like a 5 minute drive so whomever did the photos for this place is a true artist! Beware of this place- there are so many more that will not disappoint as this one does!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want a "good" room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Maggie L
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Guanamar for two days while visiting Playa Carrillo and Samara and picked it primarily due to its location and proximity to the beach. Staff are well-trained and friendly and my group was hooked up with some excursions that I am proud to include in my Top 3 during my time in Costa Rica.

In terms of accommodations, the rooms are certainly on the older side. Our bungalow was outfitted with a thatch roof and multi-story layout, criss-crossed with wooden stairs. The rooms had a musty feeling to them, which I mainly attributed to the humidity and salty surroundings. Look out for mosquitoes as the windows open out to the open air.

Overall, my experience with Hotel Guanamar was pretty good. A good pick for families and those looking for a throwback to classic Tiki days.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 16 in Playa Samara
Hotel Villas Playa Samara
Hotel Villas Playa Samara
#7 of 16 in Playa Samara

Been to Hotel Guanamar? Share your experiences!