“Not as bad as it's made out to be! From a wheelchair users prospective...”

NSTS Campus Residence and Hostel
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as it's made out to be! From a wheelchair users prospective...”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

First of all this is a hostel, don't be expecting five star as if this is what you want you should look for a hotel!
Malta was my first stop on my travels and the first hostel i have stayed in, baring this in mind I was pleasantly surprise!

The staff were extremely accommodating and did everything they could to help!!

Unfortunately the wheelchair accessible rooms were not completed at my time of arrival/stay but they have a elevator and changed my room to first floor (phone ahead if need wheelchair accessible room as I did not!). The lift was too narrow for my wheelchair (it is rather large some may be ok!), but i am lucky enough to be able to get out onto my knees and crawl and fold my chair up into the lift. The staff would offer and help in anyway they could!

Rooms are spacious and have basic facilities, but everything that is needed!

The animation team were fantastic, even though i think they're employed for the kids, there extremely welcoming and helpful to every guest! All offering to help push mean and some even invited me out to places when they had days off which I really appreciation.

The location is perfect for a fully able body as its close to bus stops to get around anywhere and everywhere but in an area where you can also get peace and quite!
Unfortunately for wheelchairs it was situated on quite a steep slope which I personally found it extremely challenging, but as said about people working at the hostel and even locals would constantly be offering and helping!!

There are quite a few kids that seem to be staying at the hostel as they are learning English or on school trips etc but they have a curfew and out during they day! I guess it depends on the bunch but there were no problems whilst I was there! The pool area could get noisey when they returned from there day but this is just to be expected and was not a problem for me!

Don't be put off by people's reviews as long as your aware it is a hostel and not a hotel then I think you may also be pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Nicole_Martine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I didn't really like my stay at NSTS: As it was February, nights were still very cold. Apart from very thin linen, there were two blankets (not that thicker), that seemed to be already used. Hair that didn't belonged to me did not really make me feel more comfortable.

Although I could stay on my own in a 5 bed-room, there was not much space to store anything. Any shelf or hook would be an improvement.

Some of the staff was helpful and friendly but most of them were not really interested in your requests. They told me I don't need to cook, which I don't think is something like a polite behaviour. In addition they told me that there would be cleaning once a week. I stayed there from sunday to sunday and didn't see any cleaning staff (not even to collect waste!) so I was asking myself - what does "once a week" mean?

WiFi was only available in the "common room" which means, you sit in the entrance hall, next to a noisy chocolate bar machine. As it was quite windy these days, the wind blew through the 5cm gap between floor and door and it was even colder. I was glad not to fall ill those days!

I would not recommmend this hostel, altough prices are quite cheap, it's not worth the inconvenience you get for it!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Il Gzira hotels

Il Gzira, Malta
Reviewed 29 August 2012

From the first moment of my stayment in the hostel wasn't going smoothly.
I have just arrived, I have found myself in the administration hell, thanks for that
Carefull old gentlemen who almost let me sleep on the "open air" .
Absolutely not flexible person, not interested in to solve the issue, jus say "I am not in charge"
In contrary of rude behaviour of the security, who is acting like an officer in a garrison at the nighttime,
I would like to mention about Assisstant manager perfomance, She is absolutely open-minded, helpfull person who is taking attention about the issues of the students...

With her guidance he gives the extra mile what all of the staff should have to do in the Hostel...
The cleaningness afar from minor difficulties was good, the cleaner knocked and asked about what is the suitable time for us for the maintenance of the room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel H
Rijeka, Croatia
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Very basic hostel with a lot of flaws. First of all, our room had no balcony and only a small window. A/C is non existent, and only after 4 days of begging we got a fan. Without egzaturation, the temperature in our room was at least 35 degrees Celsius during the night. Although they are very proud of it, the pool was extremly dirty, so dirty you couldn't see the bottom at 1,5 m depth. The whole hostel was dirty and rarely cleaned. Our room wasn't cleaned during our stay, and considering they didn't install a cover or a door to the shower, everything was dirty and wet... The staff was extremly rude. They denied to give us toilet paper, we were yelled at when we tried to use the fridge. One of the receptionists, thinking he is a security guard or something, threw all of our food to trash and spilled our drinks to the toilet while we went to smoke outside the hostel. The breakfast was actually ok, but it ends at 9, or before if the people are hungry, since they buy half a kilo of cheese and salame for the entire hostel.

Room Tip: Ask for anything on the north side with a balcony!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MatejPharm
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 1 October 2010

In my opinion this is a very basic hostel in need of refurbishment. I had booked a single private room and the man at the reception tried to put me in a shared one. Finally he gave me a whole apartment only for me but nobody had cleaned it since the last guests had left, so it was quite dirty and there were no clean towels. Wi Fi was free but it didn't work the first two days and the other two the connection was very slow. It took me ages to check my emails! The breakfast was very basic, but the swimming pool was OK. Best thing is that it is located very near a bus stop with buses to Valetta and other parts of the island passing every five minutes. In 10 minutes by bus you will be at the capital, and Sliema strand is only 15 minutes walking.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Debius
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hostel seems to be experiencing management issues. It was clean and seemed to be safe, but that is the best I can say for it. There was one bathroom/toilet for nine people. There was no proper shower and the spray that they did have attached to the tub gave out a mere trickle of water. Hot water ran out after two people. The breakfast was white bread, processed cheese and luncheon meat. Rooms were very cold and only one thin blanket...we did get a second blanket after we complained. No trash baskets in rooms or bathroom. Kitchen was ill equipped. Man in charge of reception couldn't tell me how to get to a restaurant. Entire facility very much in need of refurbishment.

• Stayed December 2009
3 Thank SavvyFaire
Madrid
Reviewed 1 November 2009

This was my first time at NSTS Campus hotel. I like the place because it is not very formal and one can relax. Internet it is not a problem with WIFI areas and Internet room. Pool is quite big and we enjoyed it a lot even if it October. The weather in Malta is fantastic. The Hotel / or residence is very close to Salima and transport is not a problem. 10 min away from Valletta and 5 min walk away from Salima and St Julians the maltese Mekka for nightlife.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Hostel Malti
Hostel Malti
#3 of 31 in Saint Julian's

Been to NSTS Campus Residence and Hostel? Share your experiences!