“Still Good Value”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Il Gzira
UK
“Still Good Value”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My latest stay at the Kennedy Nova was in June and although still good value it is noticeable that it is in need of some refurbishment. The reception area was given a make-over recently but none of the profits seem to be spent on the upkeep of the hotel. Having said that I still find it one of the nicer hotels along Sliema Creek with its magnificent view across the Creek to Valletta. It is also an ideal location for local transport and cruises with the largest shopping mall on the Island just down the road. All this and only approx 20 minutes from the airport. But back to the hotel in question, I have always found the staff pleasant, will speak to you and help with any questions about the hotel or give directions. Breakfast is a bit hum drum with the cooked being the same thing every day (always with baked beans, no tomatoes). The fruit juice is now watered down so much that you cannot tell what flavour it is. But there are other options and I have always preferred to breakfast in the hotel before hitting the streets and then looking for breakfast. I did not sample evening dinner so cannot comment. I also cannot comment on my room because it was not standard, all I can say is what a lovely room and very spacious (although the shower did leak a bit). I will return next year and would recommend this hotel - just don't be too picky - read reviews with a little caution. regards MosesUk

Room Tip: Front have view but noisy- Rear much quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MosesUk
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. Your comments have been noted and forwarded to the departments concerned for immediate action.

Guest Relations Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Liverpool
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Upgraded at 20 euros a night as "inland view" was of a dark, service area with a lot of noise during the first night and two single beds that were hard and mis-matched in height (newly married that morning so not exactly delighted). Receptionist didn't seem surprised at my complaint next morning saying that this was a standard room with "inland view!" Harbour view was worth the extra, good double bed, aircon was effective, traffic noise not really a problem with the door closed and didn't spend much time on the balcony. Plenty of good food and waiting staff professional but not over friendly. No free drinks with dinner is a bit of a rip off - a bottle of water should be provided for free. Receptionists courteous and helpful (both day and night.) Lovely roof pool, good bar and service (but no shade in pool area.) Clean with daily maid visit. 7 Euros a day to hire a safe and 35 deposit is a bit tight. Overall we had a great holiday in Malta and but would only stay in the Kennedy Nova if guaranteed a harbour view. With the view its a good 3 star not a 4 star by UK standards and not even 2 star if you get stuck with no view. Needless to say it would have been much better if the holiday company (On the Beach) and the Hotel showed the balconies (too small for 2 to sit on) and the "inland view" on their web sites. Very close to a "trades description" complaint but hopefully the hotel will get the message. Well placed for shopping at The Point, boat and coach trips and ferry to Valetta. Look out for the time share merchant offering 40pc off future holidays at the Kennedy Nova, put him down quickly or he'll follow you along the Strand trying to make an appointment. No idea if its a good deal but if I wanted a time share I'd research it in UK first.

Room Tip: Book a harbour view direct with the hotel - don't fall for "inland view"
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kernow1953
Dear Guest,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our sea view rooms. This kind of room type is very sought after for the spectacular view of the harbour right across the bastions surrounding Valletta. Please note that we have forwarded your comments to the corresponding departments for immediate action. Should you return to Malta do not hesitate to contact us prior to your booking.

Siggiewi, Malta
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed in Kennedy Nova hotel for three nights in the beginning of March. As a representative of Malta UNESCO Youth Association I was in charge for organising a 3-day international seminar for the group of 45 people.
We chose to accommodate our participants in this hotel because of the centrality, easy access and good value for money that the hotel provided for such a large group.
We were very pleased with the assistance and support received from the hotel staff to make sure that everything went smoothly for all delegates (their airport transfers, check-ins, our short meetings in the hotel's seminar room, etc.).
I travel extensively (at least 5-6 times a year) and my accommodation depending on the purpose of the trip ranges from B&Bs and hostels to 5 star hotels. Therefore, I can say that as a hotel, it's decent and definitely a very good value for money. All our rooms were very clean and decently sized. I also liked the breakfast - a good mixture of English, continental and Italian breakfast, offering something for all kind of different breakfast tastes and habits.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure hosting the UNESCO group and activities and your comments have been forwarded internally to all staff. We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed here from 18 - 25 june. When I arrived the receptionist explained that I would be staying in that room for one night as the next day it was due for some maintenance. The room was adequete apart from the fridge that was mouldy, leaking and had a old towel in it to mop up the leak. However I was moved the next day to another room where the fridge was working. The room was dark and I had to leave lights on even during the day. My view was looking over at others rooms. The a/c worked ok though was noisy when kept on during the night. The hotel itself was clean, towels changed daily and staff were friendly. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. No tea/coffee facilities in the room and I could not tune in the TV. The smoking courtroom was lovely, and you could take breakfast out there. Rooftop pool was clean. I chose to eat out so cannot comment on the food. The location was ideal, very central to bus stops, shops and cafes. I dont think this hotel qualifies as a 4 star hotel, certainly not an English 4 star, but I have stayed in worse ones.

Room Tip: Complain and ask to have a different room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Val C
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sincerely sorry for this mishap. We have asked housekeeping to report on this matter. Please allow me to rectify our first impression by contacting me on sales@kennedynova.com

Le Mas-d'Azil, Midi-Pyrenees, France
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The Kennedy Nova, in Sliema, Malta purports to be a 4 star hotel. It is most definitely not, more of a 2 star, and that is being generous. No wi fi in the pool area as advertised, instead I had to make personal calls in a very public lobby. The first room we were offered was too small, in fact there was no floor space to put down two suitcases. The TV and bed were broken, the bedside light didn't work and you needed to have the light on all the time as the room as so dark. The shower was mouldy and mildewy and the plastic screen was broken off the wall. The room WAS clean but the pillows were just filled with bits of foam and were most uncomfortable. As for the food, forget it. Mediocre at best. Fatty processed ham and rubbery cheese was on offer and the "fresh" fruit salad was tinned. No butter was offered, only some sort of spread. The cooked breakfast was worse with bacon strips more fat than meat, watery scrambled eggs and salty frankfurters. Oh yes, they did offer hardboiled eggs. The pool was cold there were no umbrellas and the TV was loudly droning on all day in the pool area. I heard countless complaints every day and the receptionist even made one old gentleman cry she was so unhelpful. If all you want is a cheap roof over your head then this will do you

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and you will get daylight but expect to pay another 25 euros a day.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Silvie H

Travellers are raving about these Il Gzira hotels

Dundee
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just returned from this hotel and although the staff were lovely the hotel is dark depressing and has no umbrellas at the pool. The wi fi does not work at the pool only at the reception area. After paying for a 4* hotel I was very disappointed to be in what I would only give at most 2*. Our room was next to what used to be another dining/entertainment room where although the glass doors were closed the roof tiles where missing old mattresses were piled up and some washing was hanging. The Jacuzzi was old and grubby the carpet mouldy it looked as if it had not been used in a long time (years) The Sauna was in the same state of repair. The room was so dark you had to out the light on to read and the balcony looked into what I would describe as a chimney.I had read the reviews before booking but found out that the reviews has came from the only decent rooms in this hotel and those were the one's that had been redecorated on the 6th floor and are being given over to Timeshare. We managed to get moved to another hotel thanks to the travel company rep, if we did not get moved I would have came home early it was so depressing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank InaDundee
merseyside
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This hotel was very clean, sheets changed every other day towels as often was you wanted. It looked a little tired but it really was fine. We only stayed bed and breakfast and we weren't very impressed with the cooked breakfast but continental was ok and the Maltese bread toasted was lovely!
The pool bar opened while we were there and the food served up there was plentiful and good, the pool was also good, we were there the first two weeks in May and there were plenty of sun beds and it didn't get crowded.
Overall we found the Kennedy Nova very good the staff helpful and I would not hesitate in going back for another visit or in recommending it to anyone as long as you realise it is 4star Malta and not 4star English.

Room Tip: The view from the seaview rooms is wonderful, we were on the 5th floor so the noise from the road wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grace05merseyside
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you found our Hotel to be very clean and our staff was helpful during your stay with us. Thank you for recommending us. We do hope to welcome you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Il Gzira
#7 of 28 in Sliema
Diplomat Hotel Malta
Diplomat Hotel Malta
#11 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hotel Kennedy Nova? Share your experiences!