“A week in Hell”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Il Gzira
preston lancashire uk
“A week in Hell”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We arrived at this Hotel in the early hours of the morning and were met by a pleasant receptionist who presented us with the key to our room on the 6th floor. First impressions unfortunately were awful unattractive reception area. We made our way to the room via an extremely old dirty lift which just about managed to accommodate 2 adults and our luggage. I have never stayed in a hotel where there is no porter to help with luggage the very least I expect from a 4 * rated hotel. Things got worse the room was so small and dingy. My first sight was a broken fridge and the most obsolete TV I have seen in ages. The window overlooked an alley. I returned and complained to the lovely receptionist who offered the same alternative. At this stage we just wanted a refund so we could walk up to the Fortina a hotel we normally use in Malta. She was unable to do this so we had to remain in what I can only describe as sheer hell and torture the bed was tiny, the air con blew warm air into the room I have heart problems and really did believe I was going to die.

The next morning we went down to breakfast again not 4* The coffee was via a machine The rest of the food was poor No single yoghurt pots Fruit salad mushy and unappealing, Orange disgusting in fact for 2 days the orange and Pineapple were mixed up which did not really matter as neither tasted like their description. As I do not eat cooked breakfast I am unable to comment on the quality. Breakfast rarely changes it alternates with a variety of deserts such as croissant, mice pies fruit crumble and biscuits.

After breakfast we approached the receptionist to point out our complaints. Unbelievably we were offered another room but asked to pay an additional 25 Euros per day. I pointed out that I had already paid over the top for a substandard room and I assume even if I paid this the room would fail to provide better accommodation. Eventually at around 15.00 hours we were moved to a slightly better room. I enclose pictures of the horrors we suffered for the next 6 days. The bathroom was in need of refurbishment, the shower curtain was dated and unhygienic. There were only 3 plug sockets in the room which was dark and gloomy.

The pool area was disgusting dirty sun beds chewing gum ground into the floor cracked tiles. The towel system was appalling you paid a deposit for a tatty towel which you kept for the week the thought of stealing their awful towel would hardly enter anyone’s head we simply went and bought towels. There was no bar attendants round the pool you had to go to the bar to order drinks again hardly 4 * standard. Eventually on day 5 umbrellas appeared.

I made my complaints to reception and was rudely challenged by a cleaning lady to point out the faults at the pool. She did not respond only shrugged her shoulders. I pointed out chewing gum melting by a sun lounger and it remained there the whole week. No follow up was done verbally or practically.

I must say this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in I would rate it 2* I intend to e mail the ministr5y of tourism in Malta to pass on my concerns.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mariereed2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
N. Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is probably more a 3 star but the great staff are 5 star quality, nothing was ever too much trouble & they always had a smile & a greeting for me. The roof top pool & bar are a great extra & were never too busy. Very clean rooms that were very spacious with fridges & microwaves etc. only negative I found was the lack of a decent cup of coffee in the mornings!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NIrelandrosie
UK
Reviewed 24 July 2013

An indication of the state of this rundown and depressing hotel was that during the whole of my stay in June the front doors were not working and a chair was stuck in front of them to block entry, which was only by the suitcase ramp. This is a hotel that has seen better days and is certainly not a 4 star establishment, only a 2 at best.

To catalogue my complaints:
My room, lit only by a communal light well, needed all the lights on during the daytime. If the window into the light well was opened, the staff's cigarette smoke came in. The room was depressing. The air conditioning only blew air around, there was no cooling. Even the public areas of the hotel were uncomfortably warm and humid and it was dark - more lights needed.
The staff, with the exception of the tour company lady, seemed demoralised, sullen and subdued.
The lifts were decrepid and worryingly jolting and noisy.
The swimming pool had no sunshades and was smaller than it appeared in photographs.
The deposit of 35 euros and charge of 1 euro per day for the use of the safe seemed penny pinching.
Part of the hotel is a timeshare, which appear to have better rooms.

Plus points:
Very convenient location.
Lovely view from rooftop.
My room kept spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was passable. I was only on B and B, but other guests told me they regretted being on half board.

Summary: One of a number of substandard hotels in this area of Malta. Because it is often fully booked by package and independent tourists, it does not need to improve its standards. I shall definitely not be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank GrecophileUK

Travellers are raving about these Il Gzira hotels

Maribor
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My stay at the Kennedy Nova was in July and although still good value it is noticeable that it is in need of some refurbishment. The reception area was given a make-over recently but none of the profits seem to be spent on the upkeep of the hotel. Anyways I still find it a nice hotel along Sliema Creek with its magnificent view across the Creek to Valletta. It is also an ideal location for local transport and cruises with the largest shopping mall on the Island just down the road. All this and only approx 20 minutes from the airport. I have always found the staff pleasant, will speak to you and help with any questions about the hotel or give directions. Breakfast is a bit hum drum with the cooked being the same thing every day..... My room was a lovely one, although the shower did leak a bit and so did the silling.....

Room Tip: Book a room with a harbur view!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank skripec
UK
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My latest stay at the Kennedy Nova was in June and although still good value it is noticeable that it is in need of some refurbishment. The reception area was given a make-over recently but none of the profits seem to be spent on the upkeep of the hotel. Having said that I still find it one of the nicer hotels along Sliema Creek with its magnificent view across the Creek to Valletta. It is also an ideal location for local transport and cruises with the largest shopping mall on the Island just down the road. All this and only approx 20 minutes from the airport. But back to the hotel in question, I have always found the staff pleasant, will speak to you and help with any questions about the hotel or give directions. Breakfast is a bit hum drum with the cooked being the same thing every day (always with baked beans, no tomatoes). The fruit juice is now watered down so much that you cannot tell what flavour it is. But there are other options and I have always preferred to breakfast in the hotel before hitting the streets and then looking for breakfast. I did not sample evening dinner so cannot comment. I also cannot comment on my room because it was not standard, all I can say is what a lovely room and very spacious (although the shower did leak a bit). I will return next year and would recommend this hotel - just don't be too picky - read reviews with a little caution. regards MosesUk

Room Tip: Front have view but noisy- Rear much quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MosesUk
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. Your comments have been noted and forwarded to the departments concerned for immediate action.

Liverpool
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Upgraded at 20 euros a night as "inland view" was of a dark, service area with a lot of noise during the first night and two single beds that were hard and mis-matched in height (newly married that morning so not exactly delighted). Receptionist didn't seem surprised at my complaint next morning saying that this was a standard room with "inland view!" Harbour view was worth the extra, good double bed, aircon was effective, traffic noise not really a problem with the door closed and didn't spend much time on the balcony. Plenty of good food and waiting staff professional but not over friendly. No free drinks with dinner is a bit of a rip off - a bottle of water should be provided for free. Receptionists courteous and helpful (both day and night.) Lovely roof pool, good bar and service (but no shade in pool area.) Clean with daily maid visit. 7 Euros a day to hire a safe and 35 deposit is a bit tight. Overall we had a great holiday in Malta and but would only stay in the Kennedy Nova if guaranteed a harbour view. With the view its a good 3 star not a 4 star by UK standards and not even 2 star if you get stuck with no view. Needless to say it would have been much better if the holiday company (On the Beach) and the Hotel showed the balconies (too small for 2 to sit on) and the "inland view" on their web sites. Very close to a "trades description" complaint but hopefully the hotel will get the message. Well placed for shopping at The Point, boat and coach trips and ferry to Valetta. Look out for the time share merchant offering 40pc off future holidays at the Kennedy Nova, put him down quickly or he'll follow you along the Strand trying to make an appointment. No idea if its a good deal but if I wanted a time share I'd research it in UK first.

Room Tip: Book a harbour view direct with the hotel - don't fall for "inland view"
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kernow1953
Dear Guest,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our sea view rooms. This kind of room type is very sought after for the spectacular view of the harbour right across the bastions surrounding Valletta. Please note that we have forwarded your comments to the corresponding departments for immediate action. Should you return to Malta do not hesitate to contact us prior to your booking.

Siggiewi, Malta
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed in Kennedy Nova hotel for three nights in the beginning of March. As a representative of Malta UNESCO Youth Association I was in charge for organising a 3-day international seminar for the group of 45 people.
We chose to accommodate our participants in this hotel because of the centrality, easy access and good value for money that the hotel provided for such a large group.
We were very pleased with the assistance and support received from the hotel staff to make sure that everything went smoothly for all delegates (their airport transfers, check-ins, our short meetings in the hotel's seminar room, etc.).
I travel extensively (at least 5-6 times a year) and my accommodation depending on the purpose of the trip ranges from B&Bs and hostels to 5 star hotels. Therefore, I can say that as a hotel, it's decent and definitely a very good value for money. All our rooms were very clean and decently sized. I also liked the breakfast - a good mixture of English, continental and Italian breakfast, offering something for all kind of different breakfast tastes and habits.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure hosting the UNESCO group and activities and your comments have been forwarded internally to all staff. We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Il Gzira
#7 of 28 in Sliema
Diplomat Hotel Malta
Diplomat Hotel Malta
#11 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hotel Kennedy Nova? Share your experiences!