“Like in a dream”

Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Odda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

The most difficult and satisfying experience of my life. Is impossible to describe just with a comment all the feelings I had that day. The only suggestion I can give you: go there till you still are young and strong with a good pair of hiking shoes and waterproof clothes good also for the snow (even if is June)

2  Thank Silvia D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,191)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"water bottles"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

I’m writing this review because before visiting I searched for reviews of people doing this pregnant to see if it was doable at 30 weeks and (perhaps understandably) couldn’t find very much. We booked this hike before I was pregnant and we umm’d and ahh’d about whether to cancel once we realised I’d be 7 months when we were due to do it. I’m so glad we went anyway! It definitely isn’t an easy hike and I was only moderately in shape pre-pregnancy but it was doable. We left very early to ensure we could take it slow and we parked at the new top car park (you have to arrive by 6am to stand a chance of getting in). I was told by my obstetrician not to carry anything so my poor husband took the supplies. Definitely worth it, definitely possible :)

22  Thank Georgina T
Reviewed 4 December 2017

It isn't an easy hike, hence the review name. But definitely do this at least once & if the weather is good, do consider tenting at the tongue itself for some amazing sunrises.

1  Thank Aloysius L
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Strenuous hike ( 22km ) in a cloudy day with light rain.
Performed in 8 hours (round trip) trough iced lakes, strong winds and various streams, Trolltunga hike worth even for wilderness landscape. But at the very end of the trail there’s the jewel...

1  Thank Silvia V
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Attempted this hike on my first "minors-only" trip abroad with my best friend. We were woefully unprepared for such a strenuous hike, but it was worth every step. We met up with two other girls from our hostel and made the hike with them, and thank god we did-we wouldn't have made it if we hadn't pushed each other.

There's a misconception on here that you need to be quite fit for this hike, which is untrue if you're willing to start extremely early, finish extremely late, and be *extremely* sore the next few days. Like, if you're unfit and want to do this, expect to prepare well in advance and still suffer for it, but also be aware that it's possible.

We took the 6 am shuttle from Odda and finished by around 9pm. We went extremely slowly up the first uphill km. I was concerned about this part of the trip, since some of the reviews on here talk about the chains you have to pull yourself up a "sheer cliff" on. They exaggerate quite a bit here-there are no sheer cliffs to climb on the trail route, just really steep inclines that the chains assist you with. It's doable without them, but I was certainly grateful they were there.

After the first km, we hiked through a bog across raised boards and rocks, which was a welcome break from the uphill scramble. We really needed this breather, because the next part was a pretty strenuous uphill ascent through some mossy rocks for a couple km, up to a trail that skirted around a frozen lake. After this, we crossed to the rim of the lake, and followed an uphill/downhill path for the remainder of the journey.

The view at trolltunga and the surrounding cliffs was spectacular. The walk back was actually a lot harder than the walk out, since we were tired, and the downhill was hard on our knees. We ended up taking a cab back as we missed the last shuttle.

I'd love to do this again as a seasoned hiker and have a hike that doesn't leave me feeling like Frodo on Mt. Doom, but if you're a stubborn rookie with common sense and want to do this, it's definitely survivable.

5  Thank Suzannah T