“Beautiful and hard to get.”
Review of Trolltunga

Trolltunga
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Odda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Absolutely beautiful experience, but also challengely.
We stayed over night at Trolltunga, so we had to carry medium heavy backpacks. But it was worth it. It was really nice to know that we had all the time we needed, so we could take a lot of breaks when we felt for it.
We started from Skjeggedal (the second parkinglot) 14:30 and arrived at Trolltunga 20:00. At this hour it was only 4 others in line to take the famous picture at Trolltunga. Really nice to hike when it's not to crowded.
The return was harder then going up for me, because I have some trouble with my knees, so I would recommend anyone with knee or hip-issues to take the shuttlebus from Skjeggedal to the third parking lot to spear your knees for 8km asfaltroad.
And wear good hikingshoes, bring blisterbandage and a lot of snacks. No need to bring more than one bottle of water cuz you can refill your bottle from the mountainrivers.

2  Thank Cecilie H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)
All reviews
"coming back"
in 18 reviews
"your feet"

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Nature ok - but for my personal taste to crowded...we took another hike next day...did not meet any other people for hours...if you like quiet nature... skip Trolltunga and the insane parking fees...there are better hikes in area with free parking spots right at the start of the trail

1  Thank Ernst W
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Fabulous experience. But beware reviews that say the first 4 kilometers of zig-zag switchbacks on pavement are the hardest part of the hike. This just isn't accurate. The hike continues through rocky Alpine-like terrain, and much of the hike is very steep coming and going. Waterfalls are safe for drinking here, so you don't need to pack in more than a few pints of water, at least in summer. We took 10 hours to do the hike, but others did it in less. Exhausting and memorable.

2  Thank EmilyMartha
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was intimidated at first learning how rugged it is and how the weather can change at any moment, but over time my desire to hike there grew. By Norwegian standard this trek is rated as demanding at expert level. Well, I was no expert at hiking although, I've had a few good hiking experiences but that was over 20 years ago when my husband and I had our long hike at the Grand Canyon in a day. So I spent the next three months preparing by going to the gym at least twice a week for 2-3 hours each time and mainly worked out on the elliptical, stair, and treadmill. Also read lots of reviews on Trip Advisor and watched YouTube videos of other peoples' experiences. It was going to be a test of my physical and mental strength and I was ready to do it alone, but I was thrilled when my sister wanted to do it with me which gave us the opportunity to bond since we hadn't seen each other in a few years. The experience wasn't as bad as the average reviews described. It took us six hours to get there including stops for rest and photos. We were lucky that there was no rain. Just heavy fog and cold mist upon returning which cooled us off longer. I have to stress the importance of having waterproof hiking boots. My Keen leather boots worked perfectly for me. I'm a small petite Asian female so I get cold easily. I wore my skin pants for the entire time and brought a light waterproof/windproof jacket and heavier ski jackets and used both. Having wool socks helped greatly especially when sleeping in temperature in the 30s at night. We brought little disposable hands and toes warmers and emergency blankets which did a great job of keeping my sister and I warm throughout the night. For me coming back was harder on my knees which would have been easier if I had a lighter load. Having hiking poles or sticks really helped with downhill trek. If anyone is going to Norway and want to hike there talk to me. Overall I prepared well and used everything we packed except for the compass, rope, and extra tent stakes. There are a few things that I would do differently if there is a next time. First get a very lightweight tent. Mine weighed five pounds. Second get a phone insurance, at least for international traveling. Other than that I was very happy with what I brought and the whole hike was as rewarding as getting to the destination itself. Last but not least, I'm very grateful to my husband for his encouragement and help with putting together my backpacking equipment and all the tips he passed on from his hiking adventures which was more rough than this. I feel more confident now about my abilities now.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Do the hike it's soo worth it!
My boyfriend and I just came back from Trolltunga and here's our advise.

There are 3 levels to park on. We arrived early around 7:45am to the second level which we thought was the "upper level". Turns out there is another parking lot at the top bypassing the dreaded first 1.7 k.
We didn't not get a spot there as it was full. They only had 30 spots available.

Not to be disappointed yet.
My boyfriend was asking the lady at the counter trying to get us to squeeze in up top somehow. She told us that she can't let us by but we can take the shuttle.

Do your self a favour and take the shuttle which just opened Monday! We paid 130 nok each and well worth every bit. The shuttle took us from the now second parking lot to the beginning of the trail after the what seems like a nearly verticle switch back.
You can also take the shuttle down at the same spot for 70 Nok each.

Parking on the second parking lot cost us 700 nok for two days as we camped overnight. Or 500 nok for 24 hrs.

We suggest if you are going to camp along the trail to set up camp between 4-6km after where the shuttle bus drops you off. This will take a lot of loud of your back and make the hike to Trolltunga a lot better.

You will still find a couple points of small elevation along the way but nothing like the first 1.7k at all.

There are a lot of streams along the way to refill your water bottle so no need to bring a lot of water. My boyfriend just brought one each.

We decided to camp for this hike as I am not the most fit for this kind of hike and stretching it over two days would of made it more enjoyable. And of course camping in Norway's mountain terrain is beautiful in self. We did not expected to make use of the shuttle and the hike was tiring but well worth it and manageable.

Make sure to start early and stay for about 1:30-2:30 hour at the site depending on the line up. There are a few other spot within 500 m from the site to take pictures of too like the mini Trolltunga on the left and the square rock next to that where we saw a few people doing yoga posses on.

Hope this helps anyone who's a little nervous of doing this hike.

Have a great hike!