“Totally worth it! ”

Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Odda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We just did this hike today and it is totally worth going! Especially if you like epic pictures!

I would recommend that you take the shuttle that runs in the summer months to the start of the trail head and skip the 4km hike up the road full of very steep switchbacks. This is what we did and it worked out really well. It took me (26), my husband (25) and my dad (56) 2.5 hours to hike to trolltunga and that was with a few stops and an 1hr 40 minutes to hike back down. Keep in mind we are very fast hikers.

Then of course, you have to wait in line to take the photo on the actual rock. We left the trailhead (after the switchbacks) at 9:30am and arrived at 11:30 and it took 1 hour and 20 minutes of waiting to get our picture. But it was a lot of fun watching everyone pose and worth every moment for our own photo.

2  Thank Raquel I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)
All reviews
"coming back"
in 18 reviews
"your feet"

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I started planning my trip couple of weeks back say in May. It took lot of time to make things in line as I had only one weekend with me that is 9th and 10th of June. After some research I thought let’s reach Bergen as it was closest airport. I booked flight on Norwegian from CPH 15.30 on Friday and reached Bergen around 18.30 via Oslo. There air was so fresh, I started feeling energized the time I landed Bergen.
From there took train to Bergen busstajon which costed around 35 N krones. I reached in around 1 hour. From Bergen busstajon at point O (there were multiple points) I boarded bus to Odda busstajon. The bus is also there which commutes between Bergen airport and busstajon and vice versa, but its relatively expensive. It cost around 120 krones, but it takes only 25 mins to drop you. So if there is shortage of time, then bus is the right choice, else if you have ample of time then take the train.
I left around 20:55 and reached Odda busstajon at 23:44 and costed around 300 krones. From there I walked to Trolltunga hotel as I booked it for couple of days. I reached hotel around 00:45 and went to room and dozed off as I had to get up early in morning around 6 for the hike. For Sat I had booked for lunch bag as I will need things for the Trolltunga hike and for Sunday I booked breakfast also. I booked a 1 day guided tour with Trolltunga active which costed around 1100 krones, so they came at hotel and we went to skjeggedal with them only. We started with filling up a form. You will find it in pictures.
The time I waited for long, had dreamt multiple times is now. We started the hike around 7:45. Initial 4-5 KMS were the toughest. Very steep, you had to find stepping really carefully. We hiked for around 4 hours till we reached the halfway. After that at every turn there was a new view of the valley. When we reached the point the queue was long had to wait for an hour. But it was worth it. When my turn came, million thought were there in my mind, and when I sat on ledge, the feelings can't be penned down or explained. It doesn't look that scary as in pictures as it is bit inclined.
Must plan trip for the trek lovers and hikers.
All the best, stay safe. You will find lot of links where things to carry is mentioned.

1  Thank Govind M
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Absolutely beautiful experience, but also challengely.
We stayed over night at Trolltunga, so we had to carry medium heavy backpacks. But it was worth it. It was really nice to know that we had all the time we needed, so we could take a lot of breaks when we felt for it.
We started from Skjeggedal (the second parkinglot) 14:30 and arrived at Trolltunga 20:00. At this hour it was only 4 others in line to take the famous picture at Trolltunga. Really nice to hike when it's not to crowded.
The return was harder then going up for me, because I have some trouble with my knees, so I would recommend anyone with knee or hip-issues to take the shuttlebus from Skjeggedal to the third parking lot to spear your knees for 8km asfaltroad.
And wear good hikingshoes, bring blisterbandage and a lot of snacks. No need to bring more than one bottle of water cuz you can refill your bottle from the mountainrivers.

2  Thank Cecilie H
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Nature ok - but for my personal taste to crowded...we took another hike next day...did not meet any other people for hours...if you like quiet nature... skip Trolltunga and the insane parking fees...there are better hikes in area with free parking spots right at the start of the trail

1  Thank Ernst W