“The most demanding and rewarding hike you'll ever be in”
Review of Trolltunga

Trolltunga
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Odda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We traveled in late September 2018. If you come after September 15, the upper parking is closed! please don't forget it, we had to add 8 KM to our hike, and it's demanding, especially in the return.

Late September pros: not a lot of people, short waiting time.

Cons: Weather can be dramatically bad, we encountered a freaking snow storm on the way to and from the tongue. There was a snow storm the day before we arrived so .everything at the top was covered in snow.

Due to the stormy weather, you couldn't always see the breathtaking view. Some people pictured themselves on the tongue with fog behind them and nothing to see.

This hike is demanding, be prepared. Beyond that, hiking on snow is different from hiking on dry soil and it's definitely more challenging.

We are in our mid 30's, go to the gym on a weekly basis and this hike was still hard. We also saw a few couples that decided not to continue after the second big climb.

This hike will challenge you physically and mentally. It says 24KM, but it's more than 30 actually, considering the 50,000 steps the roundtrip takes from you.

But, it's rewarding and rewarding. Completing it will make you feel like never before. Don't miss it.

2  Thank Shai P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"water bottles"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Long and hard hike but totally worth it ! Be prepared for weather change, and come prepared with food

2  Thank topeadeoye
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My girlfriend and I hiked Trolltunga on September 19th and it was amazing. It took us 8h and we started from the top parking lot, and we stopped quite a few times to eat and take pictures.
We stayed 45 minutes at the top for the fun of it, but since we started early we had the place to ourselves!

We arrived at the gate to the road leading to the top parking lot at 5h10 and were the first there. It opened around 5h40. When we came back from the hike the lot was not even full so I guess September is a good time to do the hike.

Anyway it's pretty awesome and the views are amazing. It's a good work out but totally worth it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was definitely one of the best hikes I did in Norway. I went with Trolltunga active's guide, Jan Vidar Oyen, with a group of 4 people. Jan did fantastic job from motivating us to sharing many great hiking tips. At first, I was not really confident if I could do this hike because of the duration and the inconsistent weather that is very different from hiking in Indonesia. But Jan was super amazing for some many reasons!

First reason, he let us hike with our own pace and let us take many technical stops as needed (such as: take off layers, add layers, grab some chocolate, catch up with our breath, and even to just take some pictures!). Second reason, although he adjusted the pace to our best physical condition, Jan also made sure he challenged us by taking different routes while motivating us at the same time during the hike. Some great tips were also continuously shared to make sure we could maintain our stamina and reduce the sore/pain to our body. Third reason, Jan was such a caring guide! Jan constantly checked on us to ensure we were ok and having a great time. Also, everytime we had technical stops, Jan would shared his knowledge about many things from the area, name of plants, norwegian culture/history, etc., I definitely felt more confident from hiking with him and learnt so many useful and great tips that I used for my next hikings in Norway.

It was really a lovely and fantastic experience hiking with him, I will definitely want to hike with him again and again and hopefully can hike somewhere else with him beside Trolltunga! Super recommended!

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

One of Norway's most iconic views is a bit of a hike, but well worth it! I was a bit surprised for the amount of snow and ice that was still on the trail in late May and it was more challenging than I expected. Go early in the morning to avoid the large crowds and having to wait a turn just to go out and take pictures (which I have been told can take over an hour most afternoons). I went with a friends and departed just before sunrise around 4:45 and only passed a handful of people on the way out compared to the crowds and tour groups on the way back. There is an air bnb at the base of the trail, literally only a few feet from the starting point that saved the parking cost and certainly helped with the early morning start. Overall the views along the trail and especially from Trolltunga are definitely worth the long hike!

1  Thank thebrieadventure