“Amazing view ”

Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Odda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We did the hike on September 1. There was no rain but I would recommend waterproof hiking boot because u do cross some areas where there is water n muddy. The whole hike was very beautiful n absolutely worthit. We started the hike at 6ish and we got to the top at 10:45 and we had to wait about an hour or so to get that pictures. It was freezing up there while you are waiting so be prepare to bring gloves, bennie n warm jacket. For me, going uphill was easy but coming downhill, my foot was hurting so took us a bit longer to come down. We made back to the car at 4. We are not hikers either but we have runners in our group n I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week. We did some practice hike in California so I think that helps. Oh n also try to get there early to park at the top parking lot. That would save ur legs because u will still have a few climbs n I enjoyed all those climbs. I just hated coming back down. Dont forget to enjoy the view along the hike.

1  Thank SophiaC1188
Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"water bottles"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We did the via ferrata excursion to Trolltunga with Trolltunga-Active - I posted a detailed review of that trip (a review of Trolltunga-Active) - it was awesome and epic and highly recommended. It involves biking, climbing cliffs, and hiking. It was up there with our 4 day trek on the Inca Trail in Peru and our rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon.

We went on September 23. It was very cold, and it snowed, hailed, rained, snowed, showed a little sun, and snowed some more. This hike is very very exposed to the elements - it was windy, which made cold wet hands (waterproof gloves weren't waterproof!) even colder. I had hand warmers and two pairs of gloves; I needed more. I had on full rain/wind gear, a winter hat, multiple layers, and it was still cold. You get very sweaty when you're hiking, and then when you stop you get cold fast.

Boots are highly recommended for this hike (waterproof!!), as are trekking poles. We do plenty of hiking on our own and would not normally have a guide, but since we were doing the via ferrata we had the Trolltunga-Active guide, and I will say that we were both glad to have Mat with us - there was much more snow than we were expecting, and it was comforting to always know we were on the right track. Mat also was able to tell us where to replenish water, and give descriptions of what was coming and how long it would take.

If you are going on your own, I would recommend following the Trolltunga Facebook page, which posts about the weather conditions. These are not a joke, I was very surprised how exposed this hike is. Just a few days before our hike there had been a storm that ripped up tents and supplies that Trolltunga-Active had installed up there. This is in September, people! We were hiking in a couple inches of snow at some points.

Our trek took 11 hours, 15 minutes, and we started after and finished before the Trolltunga-Active group that hiked the entire thing. Somehow climbing and biking was easier than hiking up - we were going strong and passed many hikers on our way back. That being said, we slept for 10 hours after our trek! Do not plan anything for early next morning - one of the hikers at our hotel was signed up for a fjord cruise the next morning which they skipped because they had to be there at 7 am - no way!

Do this hike if you can! We can't stop looking at our picture on the rock and saying "wow we did that!"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We traveled in late September 2018. If you come after September 15, the upper parking is closed! please don't forget it, we had to add 8 KM to our hike, and it's demanding, especially in the return.

Late September pros: not a lot of people, short waiting time.

Cons: Weather can be dramatically bad, we encountered a freaking snow storm on the way to and from the tongue. There was a snow storm the day before we arrived so .everything at the top was covered in snow.

Due to the stormy weather, you couldn't always see the breathtaking view. Some people pictured themselves on the tongue with fog behind them and nothing to see.

This hike is demanding, be prepared. Beyond that, hiking on snow is different from hiking on dry soil and it's definitely more challenging.

We are in our mid 30's, go to the gym on a weekly basis and this hike was still hard. We also saw a few couples that decided not to continue after the second big climb.

This hike will challenge you physically and mentally. It says 24KM, but it's more than 30 actually, considering the 50,000 steps the roundtrip takes from you.

But, it's rewarding and rewarding. Completing it will make you feel like never before. Don't miss it.

2  Thank Shai P
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Long and hard hike but totally worth it ! Be prepared for weather change, and come prepared with food

2  Thank topeadeoye
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My girlfriend and I hiked Trolltunga on September 19th and it was amazing. It took us 8h and we started from the top parking lot, and we stopped quite a few times to eat and take pictures.
We stayed 45 minutes at the top for the fun of it, but since we started early we had the place to ourselves!

We arrived at the gate to the road leading to the top parking lot at 5h10 and were the first there. It opened around 5h40. When we came back from the hike the lot was not even full so I guess September is a good time to do the hike.

Anyway it's pretty awesome and the views are amazing. It's a good work out but totally worth it.