“Great place for a halt on the road to the north of Norway”
Review of Hardanger Hotel

Hardanger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Odda
Moscow, Russia
“Great place for a halt on the road to the north of Norway”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Excellent hotel! This place was our first stop after Oslo on our way to the north. One more reason to stay in Odda - it's just 10 min drive to the beginning of the mountain trek to magnificent Troll Tunga. What we liked the most was spellbinding view on the fjord from our room window in the morning. Everything else was also at a high level: room, breakfast, service, receptionist who waited for us after midnight (the tunnel to Odda was closed for several hours for repairs). Definitly can recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with fjord view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I was travelling through Odda with my family last summer on our way back from Bergen. This hotel was an excellent place to stop and enjoy beautiful Hardanger. The view from the newly refurbished hotel room was superb.
The hotel and its friendly staff is highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank HrWil
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We've stayed in quite a few marginal and/or mediocre hotels in undeveloped countries, so it takes a lot for us to give a hotel 1 star. In all those stays, we've only once had a worse experience than at the Hardanger Hotel.

Where to begin? The hotel seems to be in a great setting, just off the water staring down the fjord. We had two rooms on opposite ends of the hotel, and the experience for both rooms was the same.

The hotel sits on a corner where the highway turns on its way through town, so we heard every car, truck, and motorcycle that rounded the corner and accelerated as they got back up to speed. This would be ok if it were on a relatively quiet road, but with dozens of vehicles coming through the intersection each hour through the night, it was far from peaceful.

There was also music playing outside the hotel for the entirety of our stay, which could be clearly heard through the windows and was loud enough to keep us awake.

To top off the poor sleeping conditions, there were 20-25 people partying in the street in front of the hotel from 10 pm - 1 am. Between their cranked up music (on top of the other music outside), laughing and yelling, and throwing beer bottles around on the street, we couldn't sleep at all during that time.

When you add up all those variables, nobody in our group slept more than an hour or two. If sleep is your priority, this isn't the place for it.

The icing on the cake came when we showered the next morning -- there were small worms on two of our towels, which had been laying on our bed when we came into the room. Fortunately, when we stripped the bed and scoured it for more worms, we didn't find any more.

As this is the only hotel in Odda, it's the only option if you definitely want to stay in Odda. Our suggestion would be to just stay in one of the other towns, where a better night of sleep is to be had.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OleMeyer

Travellers are raving about these Odda hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We found that Norwegian hotels can't be compared to American standards, but what an awesome view from this hotel. We arrived on an early Saturday evening and found the town very quiet and empty. All of the shops had closed early, as seems to be the standard in Norway. We were surprised to be awakened by a noisy crowd leaving a corner tavern after 2 a.m.! It seems to be a hard-working community, and I'm sure it was just the typycal Saturday nightout after a hard weeks work. There is a nice tourist office across from the hotel, but it is closed on Sundays.The hotel includes a nice breakfast, which is a plus when traveling in Norway. Food can be expensive, typicaly 3-4 times American prices. In all the view from the hotel is worth the price of an overnight stay. It was simple, clean and comfortable,and we would stay again

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 December 2010

If you're going to Odda, I would definitely stay here. It is very clean and comfortable. Our family stayed for several nights while attending a family reunion this last Summer. The staff was super!! They accomodated every request and went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome. We accidentally only booked for two nights, and upon realizing our mistake, they accomodated our request to stay another night - even though the hotel was fully booked, they were able to work it out somehow. The views from the rooms facing the Fjord were fantastic! However, late night club goers can get loud at times. Back side rooms only have a view of other buildings and parking, but are more quiet at night. While not a full service hotel, they do include breakfast. The eggs and bacon are not the best, but the fresh meat cold cuts, cheese, and bread are excellent. Gourmet Coffee/Late/Cappucion/Hot Chocolate machine is a big plus. Coffee is also available in the lobby throughout the day. The owner's mother's traditional norwegian waffles on Saturday AM were a real treat! The full bar is available in the lobby until around midnight. After seeing the place that the rest of our relatives stayed in, I am SO happy that we stayed at the Hardanger!!!

A few comments about the area: The tourist center across the street was very accomodating and had plenty of informaiton about the area. Right next door is the church that my great grandfather was baptized in. It doesn't look like much on the outside, but a beautiful church on the inside. Quaint shopping is available in the downtown streets. As for restaraunts in Odda - You can walk, but don't plan on having a lot of variety. There is a Chinese restaraunt in the downtown area, and then also a fast-food hamburger place a little further past the downtown center (easy walking distance). I saw a pizza place too, but that's about it. We did drive to Tissedal for one fantastic meal at the hotel there. I would also recommend touring the hydro plant there. About 30 minutes away, Roldal is a great place for a quick trip. Stop at Late Falls on the way (Late is the other side of my family) and head to the Stav church. Have lunch at the Hordatun Hotel and order the pizza - a great meal!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Norway
Reviewed 17 February 2009

It went bad from the start.

I had reserved 2 adjacent rooms through the hotel website, only to find out that they had "forgotten to take that option into account", so we ended up on 2 different floors.

The hotel itself looks more like what you would expect to find as an option for backpackers, which would be perfectly fine, had the prices been adapted to that market section. Really old (and I don't mean "charming old") and not taken care of. It is obvious that the owner does not have to deal with competition! The elevator was out of service and there was no offer to carry our luggage to the two highest floors. There were holes in the ceiling of the 5th floor hallway and the carpet was old and dirty.

The room was quite big, with wooden floor, but my positive remarks will have to stop there. All the furniture was outdated, one of the chairs had holes in it, there was lots of dust behind the night tables (if you need an electrical plug, it is there) and, worst of all, I found both mould and hair at the junction of the bathtub and the tiles!

To top it all, I was awakened by a really loud noise around 1.30am. I called the reception lady who informed me that it was "only the ventilation system which tends to be noisy on the 5th floor". She assured me that it would stop after SOME time, but that it would happen a few more times during the night! I asked to be moved to another floor but was told that all she could offer was either an economy room (my room being a standard one, I did not even dare to imagine how an economy room would be like), or a family room, a bit bigger but not renovated (so my room had actually been renovated...). Well, it was late, I was tired and none of that sounded promising, so I declined her offer.

Needless to say, I had breakfast in another place where I actually learn that there are lots of apartments for short-time rent in Odda.

Don't go to Hardanger Hotel, unless you really have to. Even the locals told me so...

• Liked — Location, but Odda is such a small place anyway...
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TravellingIsFun31
HardangerHotel, Owner and manager at Hardanger Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2009
Dear guest!

I’m sorry that You didn’t enjoy your stay in my hotel. I have been the owner of the hotel for 11 years, and the manager for 7 years. Since I bought the hotel I have invested a lot of money in renovation of the hotel.

Our main goal is to satisfy all our guests, and hopefully we do so.

Regarding your stay, I would like to make the following comments.

If you make an online booking, you are not guaranteed to get adjacent rooms. The online booking does not have an option for choosing adjacent rooms; you can just make a wish.

Your booking confirmation didn’t say that we had promised you adjacent rooms. The best way to get adjacent rooms (if possible) is to call the hotel directly.

Hardanger Hotel has 51 rooms with two different room standards. 18 of the rooms were totally renovated in 2003, and 13 was refurbished in 2004-2005. This means that the hotel has 18 standard rooms, and 33 economy standard rooms.

Since I don’t know your name, I don’t know which room you were staying in. But, I find it hard to believe that you stayed in a standard room. I have checked all the online bookings this year, and the only booking with a request for adjacent rooms is for economy rooms. I therefore assume that you stayed in an economy standard room.

During your stay we were maintaining the elevator (changing the main wire and bearings), and therefore it was out of service. Safety is really important for us, and that’s why I decided to do the work with the elevator.

Hardanger Hotel is a 3 star hotel, and we do not have bellboys. Anyway, if you had asked the receptionist for help to carry your luggage to the top floor, she would have been pleased to help you.

It’s correct that some elements were missing in the ceiling of the 5th floor hallway. We had a minor water leakage in the roof a week earlier, so the elements had to be replaced with new ones. In order to get similar elements as the rest of the ceiling, we had to order them from our vendor. Unfortunately, it took some time to get the new elements.

The carpet in the corridor is 2 years old, and it still looks like its brand new!

In our standard rooms the furniture is not outdated, since it’s only 6 years old!

I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay, but in my opinion you don’t give a correct review of my hotel.

With best regards

Ole Melkeraaen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Odda
Trolltunga Guesthouse
#4 of 5 in Odda
Hordatun Hotel
Hordatun Hotel
#1 of 1 in Roldal

Been to Hardanger Hotel? Share your experiences!