“Do not stay there...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Odda
Norway
“Do not stay there...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

It went bad from the start.

I had reserved 2 adjacent rooms through the hotel website, only to find out that they had "forgotten to take that option into account", so we ended up on 2 different floors.

The hotel itself looks more like what you would expect to find as an option for backpackers, which would be perfectly fine, had the prices been adapted to that market section. Really old (and I don't mean "charming old") and not taken care of. It is obvious that the owner does not have to deal with competition! The elevator was out of service and there was no offer to carry our luggage to the two highest floors. There were holes in the ceiling of the 5th floor hallway and the carpet was old and dirty.

The room was quite big, with wooden floor, but my positive remarks will have to stop there. All the furniture was outdated, one of the chairs had holes in it, there was lots of dust behind the night tables (if you need an electrical plug, it is there) and, worst of all, I found both mould and hair at the junction of the bathtub and the tiles!

To top it all, I was awakened by a really loud noise around 1.30am. I called the reception lady who informed me that it was "only the ventilation system which tends to be noisy on the 5th floor". She assured me that it would stop after SOME time, but that it would happen a few more times during the night! I asked to be moved to another floor but was told that all she could offer was either an economy room (my room being a standard one, I did not even dare to imagine how an economy room would be like), or a family room, a bit bigger but not renovated (so my room had actually been renovated...). Well, it was late, I was tired and none of that sounded promising, so I declined her offer.

Needless to say, I had breakfast in another place where I actually learn that there are lots of apartments for short-time rent in Odda.

Don't go to Hardanger Hotel, unless you really have to. Even the locals told me so...

• Liked — Location, but Odda is such a small place anyway...
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TravellingIsFun31
HardangerHotel, Owner and manager at Hardanger Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2009
Dear guest!

I’m sorry that You didn’t enjoy your stay in my hotel. I have been the owner of the hotel for 11 years, and the manager for 7 years. Since I bought the hotel I have invested a lot of money in renovation of the hotel.

Our main goal is to satisfy all our guests, and hopefully we do so.

Regarding your stay, I would like to make the following comments.

If you make an online booking, you are not guaranteed to get adjacent rooms. The online booking does not have an option for choosing adjacent rooms; you can just make a wish.

Your booking confirmation didn’t say that we had promised you adjacent rooms. The best way to get adjacent rooms (if possible) is to call the hotel directly.

Hardanger Hotel has 51 rooms with two different room standards. 18 of the rooms were totally renovated in 2003, and 13 was refurbished in 2004-2005. This means that the hotel has 18 standard rooms, and 33 economy standard rooms.

Since I don’t know your name, I don’t know which room you were staying in. But, I find it hard to believe that you stayed in a standard room. I have checked all the online bookings this year, and the only booking with a request for adjacent rooms is for economy rooms. I therefore assume that you stayed in an economy standard room.

During your stay we were maintaining the elevator (changing the main wire and bearings), and therefore it was out of service. Safety is really important for us, and that’s why I decided to do the work with the elevator.

Hardanger Hotel is a 3 star hotel, and we do not have bellboys. Anyway, if you had asked the receptionist for help to carry your luggage to the top floor, she would have been pleased to help you.

It’s correct that some elements were missing in the ceiling of the 5th floor hallway. We had a minor water leakage in the roof a week earlier, so the elements had to be replaced with new ones. In order to get similar elements as the rest of the ceiling, we had to order them from our vendor. Unfortunately, it took some time to get the new elements.

The carpet in the corridor is 2 years old, and it still looks like its brand new!

In our standard rooms the furniture is not outdated, since it’s only 6 years old!

I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay, but in my opinion you don’t give a correct review of my hotel.

With best regards

Ole Melkeraaen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Also consider these accommodations in or near Odda
Trolltunga Guesthouse
#2 of 2 in Odda
Odda Camping
Odda Camping
#3 of 5 in Odda

Been to Hardanger Hotel? Share your experiences!