“Very friendly staff”
Review of Hotel San Giuseppe

Hotel San Giuseppe
Ranked #1 of 1 Valdragone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2012

It was like going through a time warp. Back to the 60s. But, in general, that is San Marino. Our room was very large and had a great outlook to the Mountain. Two bathrooms and a very comfortable bed. Not much more to ask for really. The staff had been overwhelmed by a group of Russian tourists. These tourists are the 21st Century version of the rude American tourists. They were a bit hard on the staff so when the staff heard our Aussie accents they looked relieved and gave us fantastic service. I wouldn't stay here for the food. We struggled with the breakfast and had dinner in the restaurant one night. This is not recommended. However, this is San Marino..... the republic shuts down on a Sunday so all we could get in the area was McDonalds (yes, we were desperate). Up on the "Rock" things are different.... good food, good services and tourist focused.
Back at the hotel we found a very quiet outdoor area next to the bar. I use the word "bar" very loosly... we thought we might get a cool beer and sit ouside and have a drink overlooking the valley. The only beer that they had were some warm bottles of Becks. So we settled for some Champagne. I could have sworn that we were in an old Russian state....
In Summary..... quirky, friendly but very out of date.

Room Tip: The back room overlook the rock and are away from the parking area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed three nights in a double room. the room was massive, but hardly anything in it- a small couch, TV on a cabinet and that was about it. The lift would not work with both of us and our luggage in it, so had to go up separately. I think the motel needs some work done - some of the walls were cracked, and it desperately needed an update. The garden when we arrived was overgrown, but maybe they only get someone in occasionally to maintain because the second morning there was a garden crew there trimming. we didn't have any noise issues, but I am not sure how many others guests were actually a there. on the whole, it was very basic accommodation, but our stay was ok.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Hotel San Giuseppe. Even though the rooms were clean they were very noisey and you could here people in the next room. The American breakfast was not an American breakfast and half the stay I did not bother to go down for the same boring food. I was staying half board but wished Id never eaten at the hotel at all. They gave me the same menu every night. Which once I had had what I liked left me with 3 nights of not eating there. I am not a fussy eater either. I also found the staff to be very inpatient and that everything was too much of an effort for them. The bar they advertise is never open so we had to take our custom elsewhere. This hotel is best for a one night stop over if you are visiting San Marino. When I go back to San Marino I will never be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My son's soccer team was in San Marino for an international tournament, so we had a custom tour package for a fairly large group, which included breakfast and dinner at the hotel. The breakfast was nothing exciting - bland sliced cheese and meat (one kind of each, same every day) mostly flavorless pastries, yogurt, canned peaches, a coffee machine sometimes worked. But the dinners were appalling. The first was what we could only describe as "hamburger helper", overcooked pasta with sauce from a jar and tiny bits of ground meat. We had the 'tuna helper' another night. By the last night, one of the guests took to making a sad face on his dinner plate with ketchup (the fact that a meal was served that involved ketchup at all is an indication of the quality). Our guide spoke with the hotel staff about the food, to no avail. We had a player on the team who was from Italy, and he was embarrassed that the other kids might think that this was what Italian food was like. We did see other diners being served what appeared to be much better food from the menu, but I can't attest to the taste. The only culinary saving grace was that we were a 5-minute walk from a grocery store. When you can get better food from the pre-packaged deli dept., it's a pretty sad state.
On other notes, the rooms were shabby, a/c even more spotty than European standard, showers clogged, and the staff was surly. When my younger son goes on the same trip again in 2 years, if I see this hotel on the itinerary, I will cancel immediately, it made such a negative impact on our whole trip.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front seemed to have somewhat better a/c, but best advice is to stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
sangiuseppehotel, Direttore generale at Hotel San Giuseppe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

Dear guest,
I just read your review and I feel such astonished. Most of terms and adjectives used to describe our rooms, food and staff sounds completly inappropriate and never cited from any other guest.
I don't want to find apology or controversy and I will assure you we will think about your stay and try to do all our best anyway.
I apologize for my defective english and I beg to remain at your disposal to try to change your mind (maybe) for another occasion.
Best regards
G.Biagioni

Reviewed 8 September 2009

I chose to stay at this hotel also because of all the positive reviews I read on Tripadvisor. What can I say? It is not a bad place, but, in my personal opinion, not a 4 star hotel either. Absolutely not what I expected. 3 star is more likely what the hotel deserves.
It is certainly clean and huge, the staff is absolutely kind, helpful and discrete, but the place does not show the typical elements of a 4 star hotel.
The standard rooms are rather small, simple, with a small bathroom. No balcony. The walls are very thin, we could clearly hear people talking in the rooms next to the one where we were sleeping. Luckily they were not extremely noisy and stopped talking soon.
The place is probably property of the church. There is a crucifix in the room and on the same property there is a sanctuary. The garden around the hotel looks neglected.
On the first morning the breakfast room was very crowded and we had to queue up for a cup of coffee. Breakfast was simple, with no fresh fruit at all, but with home made cakes...
If you want to visit San Marino you certainly need a car because the entrance of the old town is very far from the hotel.
I will go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I stayed in this hotel two weeks ago during excursion tour around Italy. The room was good, the territory is green. We really enjoyed the dinner that was very tasty. the only minus of this hotel is that it is relaively far from the center of San Marino and without car it is difficult to reach the center. the whole impresion is positive.

Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Although my visit to San Marino was only a fleeting visit, my hotel stay was adequate. The room was very clean and the view (although it was night time) was good also. The bed was comfortable also.

The bathroom was clean as well with the usual free toiletries. I never had time to watch the TV so I cannot comment on that!

The free 'American' breakfast was another blessing in the price of a room however, it was far from being 'American'. There was cereal, croissants, yougart and bread mainly with free coffee/drink machines available. I was expecting something more filling and greasy!

My main gripe however was the untreated roads/paths belonging to the hotel. When I arrived there had been a heavy snow fall during the day but this was not cleared from the paths/roads leading to the hotel reception. The following morning the roads where like an ice rink as no salt had been put onto the roads to make driving safe. Like the rest of San Marino the hotel access road is steep and not good when driving on ice!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Been to Hotel San Giuseppe? Share your experiences!