“Marvellous place”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast finished a bit early for us lazy devils so we missed it and can't comment but am sure it would've been as delicious as the lunches and evening meals were with huge portions. The place is clean cosy and very warm. Dogs are welcome as are walkers in muddy boots. The bedroom (9 four poster ) was clean and cosy with everything we could've wanted incl a nice en suite. Clearly very well insulated as we turned heating off and opened a window! Only grumble is that the bed is small-ish. My man is 6'1" and he didn't sleep well as he was aware of his head touching headboard and feet on the footboard so next time maybe we shall book an ordinary double. Staff were attentive and polite however when off duty, if having a drink in the bar could do to remember paying guests may not want to listen to their very loud and somewhat immature silliness (Maria ?). The Inn is perfectly situated for walking, cycling and visiting many nice places within a short drive. All in all a lovely few days away and shall def return x

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Called in for lunch on Bank Holiday Monday , by the time we left it was full and on asking about being busy, was told this is actually quiet for us. Seems to expand as you wander around inside, food is plentiful, homemade and very nice. Would definitely visit again. Nice atmosphere and great Yorkshire hospitality.....

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have visited here again today with my Mother, been a lot of times over the years and you always get a friendly welcome. I have been at all different times of the year, once with snow on the ground thinking we would be the only ones there, but found it busy. Today at lunch time had people in and out all the time we were there.
The food is good wholesome food, nothing fancy but very well prepared and cooked. It provides for walkers and passers by and is a wonderful old place without false decorations. This is the real thing, low ceilings, log fires in original hearths, great friendly staff and excellent pub food.

Stop here or make a detour if you are in the area it is the best place for a lot of miles, just make sure you are hungry as the portions are large and it is that good you will not want to leave any.

If you get a taste for the food and beer you can also stay here..

Reviewed 6 April 2014

After a lovely hour or two doing the daffodil walk at Farndale, we made our way to the Lion Inn ... and our hearts sank as the car park was full to over-flowing. However, I think there may have been some sort of outdoor event going on because although the pub was full, there was still plenty of space ... in fact it is so much bigger inside than it looks from the outside.

There was no spare table in the pub, so I asked at the bar if there was space in the restaurant and was delighted to be told there was and we were immediately taken to what I felt was the best table in the restaurant - it appeared to be a child-free zone, which we were grateful for as some of the children in the bar were being very noisy and the parents had little interest in supervising them (sadly so common nowadays)! The meal arrived within a few minutes of ordering, brilliant service!

We were dining with my 80 year old parents and we all agreed it was a truly wonderful Sunday lunch - between us we had beef (x 2), turkey and lamb. My husband sampled all the meats as there was so much of it (portions are incredibly generous) and declared the beef to be the best, though said all were really lovely. There was plenty of veg. I think the cost was £11.50 each

We had a lovely meal in a very nice restaurant with excellent service. I can highly recommend it, I have no negatives whatsoever to say!

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We've visited several times now. Admittedly it hasn't changed much if at all. That isn't a bad thing. The food is what you expect in a pub which attracts walkers. Plenty of choice for vegetarians served with great home style chips.
Great choice of real ales. What can be better in a cosy pub next to a real fire?