“Disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Ripon, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Dined on a very busy Saturday night, staff completely overwhelmed, obviously not enough of them for the business they had on (weddings, etc). Long wait at uncleared table for food that in my case was almost uneatable because the knife supplied wouldn't cut the tough pigeon breast. Suggested that a steak knife should have been provided. Waiting an age to settle bill even after receiving it. At those prices they really need to sharpen up!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank DontSlipUp

louth
“Ok”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Been at a wedding reception. Although the atmosphere was relaxed I felt the food could of improved slightly. The lunch was a barbecue. I was told that my children could only have the burger from it as thats what the bride had ordered and when I said she doesnt eat burgers could she have some chicken it was given with reluctance. Its the hospitality industry and I cant bear it when places have to stick to the script. Any good business will do slightly more than the exact number and anticipate things like the above. All in all though a pleasant day and hard working staff.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Red Lion? Yes, well worth a visit!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked in advance for our Sunday lunch (4 of us) at the Red Lion, I was a bit concerned as there were a few reviews quoting unfavourable comments regarding the staff but we decided to see for ourselves and we were all glad we did. The staff were very nice including the receptionist whom I booked the lunch with and our waitress was very pleasant, efficient and courteous. The food was excellent. We each chose different meals all of which were very good and nicely cooked. It isn't a cheap restaurant and the portions are not massive but the food was very nice and this is a place we are likely to visit again.

• Visited June 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A lovely pub in a lovely town. Helpful, friendly staff and likewise the patrons. Food is fair only, although the wait staff make it worthwhile.

• Visited May 2014
surrey
“Food ok, but service oh so slow!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We ate here a couple of weeks ago, whilst staying in this lovely village. It is an idyllic setting, and the pub seems to be consistently busy. It was lovely to sit outside on a warm evening - so great for a drink. We reserved a table - you definitely need to. It took a while to take our order, and then we waited 50 minutes for the food to arrive! This is a thriving pub, but it seems to be understaffed both in the kitchen and front of house. The bar service was also slow, and quite impersonal. I ordered sea bass which was rather oily - my husband had ham egg and chips, which was a generous portion and he enjoyed. Overall, the setting and environment are good, but it needs better management to make it really work. There are a lot of tourists here - like us - which means there is a lot of new trade week to week, but I am not sure they would survive if it was not for the setting.

• Visited May 2014