“Loved it, we'll definitely go back”
Review of Red Lion Hotel

Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burnsall
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Our stay was lovely, really relaxing, scenic area with nice walks and views on your doorstop.
The food was fabulous - we ate in the pub garden at lunch - good portions and flavours. In the evening we ate in the restaurant and it was excellent. Very good service, different menu - we had guinea fowl and pigeon for our mains both were excellent and the sticky toffee pus was melt in the mouth!
We stayed in the Manor House as the hotel was full. The room was lovely with a great king size bed which was immensely comfy, really didn't want to get up!

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We Booked 2x double rooms B&B at the Manor House which is part of the Red Lion Hotel at Burnsall . We checked in and went to our rooms which were really only single in size.The ensuite shower and toilet were tiny and the rooms were tired and needed updating.We returned to the reception and asked to change our rooms, none were available.We were told there was no room in the hotel dining room for Breakfast and we had to eat in an old tea room in the garden (shed).We decided to leave and asked for our deposit back of £80 which was refused point blank.Their whole attitude was appalling and we would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Dont go there
12  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We went on a Groupon offer, and were very pleased. This is truly a lovely old inn, in a superb riverside location, by a picture postcard bridge, and in a very popular Dales village. We were in the main building, and were given a pleasant enough room with just about all that you might want.
The staff were all very pleasant, and were very well organised as far as we were concerned.
We had a very good meal in a cosy restaurant, and felt the value was good. The bar and bar lounge also had lovely old world charm. Breakfast was also good, with very good choices. Some other reviewer referred to food smells - well, what food smells there were, were nice food smells!
The charms of these places do include uneven floors, and, yes, the carpet in some areas was well-worn (eg close to external doors where people, including hikers, pass in and out) - but no more than expected, and certainly not spoiling the overall charm of the place.
If I see this on Groupon again, I will snap it up!

1  Thank cityh0pper7_9
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My daughter and I stayed here in the Manor House B&B extension after a day walk in the Dales and a visit to the "must see" Coldstone Cut" near Pateley Bridge. The Manor House rooms are adequate, in need of modernizing and somewhat ambitiously priced. My room was definitely not in the £99.50 class. It pays to have a root round the late booking sites in advance. Dinner was excellent as was the freshly cooked breakfast. Beer choice was just fine and we were blessed with good weather and could sit beside the river till the sun went down. Staff were friendly and efficient. I enjoyed my stay there and would do it again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Blackpete
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We have just returned from a 1 night stay ,bought under a deal with Groupon.From the moment we arrived we received a warm welcome and that continued from all other staff.
Our room was at the top and we could see the river. We had a comfy bed and decent bathroom with Molton Brown products.
We dined at the Hotel and enjoyed both our evening meal and breakfast.
The location is lovely, no problem with parking.
All in all a good experience.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I adore the Bolton Abbey area and wanted to surprise my partner with a two night break. We stayed here from the 31st July to 2nd August (Sun to Tues) at a rate of £80 a night, a rate which I had haggled down from a week day rate of £85 a night. We stayed in Room 39 of the Manor House, which is a building attached to the main Red Lion pub.

I had strong reservations about my booking following the reviews on this site and my expectations before arriving were low – so low in fact that I had the numbers of other hotels and restaurants should this one be horrible.

We arrived at approx 3pm on the Sunday and despite the pub being busy, we were given our room keys promptly and told where our room was located (we weren’t shown). It was located a short walk through the car park of the Red Lion Hotel and up some steps. When entering the building, the Manor House (which is really just a big house on two levels) there was a mild smell of fresh paint, but nothing particularly off putting. The entrance room was tidy and clean. We got up to our room on the second level and I was at first worried as a cleaner was still up there, but actually our room was already prepared and ready for our stay and it was evident the cleaner was just finishing.

The room was small but my partner and I found it very well kept, very clean and very cosy. It had that romantic “hideaway” feel to it – it was our cosy space to retreat to. I really liked it. I have attached some photos. My major gripe with the room was that the wall separating the bathroom from the bedroom was made from wood, so not insulated in the slightest and there was no lock on the bathroom door. As the walls were thin, there wasn’t much privacy in the bathroom that one might, erm, require! There was no shower curtain because one wouldn’t fit due to the way the ceiling was built, and the only bathroom light was over the bathroom mirror, but we found this adequate and it did not spoil our enjoyment of the place. The Molton Brown products were a nice touch, as was the note advising guests to switch their lights off at night if they kept their windows open to prevent midgies from the river entering the room. The bed was well presented and exceptionally comfortable. The tv only had 4 channels, but this wasn’t a hindrance to us as we didn’t plan to spend our time in the room when it was so lovely outside. After leaving our bags, we walked out the front door, down the steps, turned left and went for a wonderful three mile walk along the river before dinner. Just after the walk, we were able to sit out on the patio area overlooking the river and enjoy a glass of wine.

Returning to our room, we washed up and went to the restaurant. We had already booked on the advice of a staff member who said the restaurant often gets busy, but on this Sunday night, that really wasn’t an issue. We entered the restaurant at 7pm and were the first ones there, and were alone for the first 20 minutes.

The restaurant is tastefully decorated and the tables were presented in a very romantic style – the candles were tall and elegant in candlesticks (the candlesticks were plastic, so if you go don’t touch because you can imagine they’re real!) and there were tall flowers folded over in elegant vases. Everything was clean. There was no music, but we didn’t feel lonely as we could hear the hum of chatter in the pub next door.

The waiter was brilliant. He was attentive, very well presented and very polite. The staff were European and did their best to make you feel welcome. I felt that the language was a slight barrier, for example, I ordered some wine and the wrong one was originally brought because I hadn’t specified the number on the wine list and had requested the wine by name. Also, I know this sounds daft, but I thought some readers may appreciate it if I also advised that the waiters were for the most part, tall good looking Italian men!

The wine list was vast, there was a great deal of choice. I’m no wine connoisseur but the prices varied greatly from £17 upwards, the most choice was at the £40 range. Unfortunately, the wines I requested on both nights at the restaurant were out of stock, however my second choices were available.

Again, due to reviews on this site, I was concerned that the food would be of poor quality. There were approx 8 starters and 8 main dishes to choose from for the restaurant and I think it would have been good to see more but understand given the remote location this isn’t really easy to do. We didn’t have any desserts so I can’t comment on them.

For starters, we both had the pate which was fine, nothing spectacular, but more than satisfactory. For the main, I had the 12oz rump steak which came with roast new potatoes, vegetables (which were cooked to perfection) and onions rings. I had admittedly ordered chips with the steak, but due to the language barrier, was served the potatoes. I didn’t think it worth my while to complain as I wasn’t fussed really. The food was served promptly and was gorgeous.

The next day we went for a walk from Bolton Abbey to Burnsall and back again (12 miles). At the halfway point in Burnsall we stopped for a drink at the Red Lion and after requesting a mixed pint of orange juice and lemonade, were impressed when the orange juice was freshly squeezed before us.

That evening, we ate again at the restaurant due to the positive experience the night before. For starters I had the sardines which were fabulous, and my boyfriend had the fishcake and poached egg (which looked better than my sardines and I am assured tasted divine). For the main I had the guinea fowl which was beautiful and my boyfriend had the 10oz rib eye steak. Originally, he would have ordered the rib eye steak the night before, but then it had been the only unavailable dish on the menu.

At £20.95 for the 10oz rib eye steak, this was not a cheap meal and unfortunately fell below our expectations. My boyfriend had to get out of his seat to find a waitress to complain about his steak because the cut of meat was so shoddy and full of gristle. The manager came to see us and took the meal into the back. After a couple of minutes, he came back out and profusely apologised for providing such a poor cut of meat and he agreed it was not up to standard. He replaced my partner’s meal completely, with a much better cut of meat. I was also asked if I wanted to have my meal prepared again, but I declined (I don’t believe in wasting good guinea fowl!) I felt the way the bar manager handled the situation was very good, he acted professionally and we didn’t feel uncomfortable pointing out that there was a problem. Again, we asked one of the waitresses for a knife and fork but due to the language barrier, she didn’t bring a steak knife and we had to request it again.

That night we sauntered back to our “cubbyhole” and I sat on the low windowsill and watched the sheep “baaa” their way into the farm. Which was lovely.

Although we’re not breakfast people, in the pursuit to provide an all round experience of the Red Lion, I dragged my partner out of bed and we went to breakfast (open from 8.30 to 9.30). There was a great selection for breakfast – I had organic yoghurt with grapefruit and raspberries, followed by haddock, plenty of toast and two pots of tea. I must mention too that the brown bread here is divine, not sure if homemade, but of a seeded variety that is very moreish. My partner had smoked salmon on a bagel which looked as good as it sounds.

I loved it here and would stay again and I hope my review has done some good in counteracting all the negative reviews on here. My only major issue comes down to cost. The hotel room was lovely, and at £80 I can’t complain. However, this cost increases at the weekend to £100 a night and although I would probably pay that to go again, I’d be paying for the area because I don’t think the room itself is worth £100 a night. The cost of food was also high I found, starters were more or less £10 a piece and the mains came in at an average of £16/£17 each.

At the end of the day, we were ok to spend that bit extra here. There is nowhere else to spend your money and as you’re walking most the day, your costs outside of the Red Lion are practically nil (give or take an ice cream or two).

Would we come here again? Most definitely. Half of me even wishes I hadn’t written this review as it would have been nice to keep this place a secret. But I felt that injustice has been done and I’m happy to be able to provide details of a pleasant stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamanthaMartini
Reviewed 25 July 2011

what a horrible over priced place this is,rooms are shambolic,resturant prices are a rip off,food is a joke ,because there is no competition around they charge what they want.i am sure this place is not a true reflexion of the dales

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank terrybengland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnsall
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
Beck Hall Malham
Beck Hall Malham
#1 of 1 in Malham
The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!