“A Pub With Style”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burnsall
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“A Pub With Style”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have dined here many times and we were not disappointed with anything on Boxing Day. Atmosphere was lively and the staff were attentive charming as always. We were stumped with what to order, as there were so many fantastic choices on the daily special's board, but I settled with the pheasant and celeriac mash while my husband enjoyed breast of mallard duck. This is one of my top dining experiences since my first time here in the summer of 2007. If you plan a visit in warmer weather, the beer garden and the river view seating are lovely, food is extensive and there is something to suit everyone's pallet with seasonal and local produce (game, meats). Hats off to you for wonderful service and outstanding beer.....try the Timothy Taylor Boltmaker (IF you are lucky to be there on that magical day it's on) or Hetton Pale Ale).
We have stayed here twice, and I do suggest a room not overlooking the street or main door (on the restaurant side) as voices and traffic did carry up to the rooms, but that was in the summer months when we had the window open in the evening. The rooms were comfortable and the Molton Brown amenities were grand. We chose that room because it was one of the larger rooms, but we have stayed in a room that overlooked the back of the property that we found to be just right.
If you are an avid walker or just fancy a gentle stroll, Burnsall is the essential place to be with a splendid river walk, and if you don't eat too much, you can make that walk to Grassington! The walks are well marked and there is a lot of choice even without a map.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
redlionmanagement, Owner at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thasnk you for your kind comments, you are right we are perfectly situated for great walks wether you want a stroll or a full on hike the scenery is grest as is the beer and food and hopefully the welcome!
Kind regards
Sarah, Vicky, Katy and Eleanor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Greek first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Booking in for a night to get to a friend's wedding, the communication was excellent. On arrival - ample parking - the welcome was friendly, and booking in was smooth.

The room was lovely - in The Manor House, and only a couple of minutes from the main building.

After a lovely meal and a pint of local ale, with great service, we headed off to the reception.

Breakfast in the morning was hearty, very quickly served and blinking tasty!!

Highly recommended all round!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
great to hear you had a nice stay and ate and drank well, if you're happy we're happy!
hope to see you again
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I had one nights stay at the Red Lion. We stayed in the Manor House , and the only down side , although it did state on the booking , was that the ensuite was "compact".

However , this did not detract from our overnight stay. There was an excellent range of beers , and the food, both choice and quality , were superb. Put this with the idyllic location and friendly staff and the picture is complete.

We have booked to go again in the New Year, and this time will take the dogs , as selected rooms accommodate these.

Room Tip: As mentioned above , if you were staying more than one night , the ensuite may be a little small in...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Really pleased you enjoyed your stay, the compact rooms are exactly that, but have all the necessities for a enjoyable stay, we look forward to seeing you again.
Regards
Kirkby Lonsdale
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed for two nights. Wonderful place. Lovely, friendly staff and amazing food. Cosy bar an good beer too. Only very small niggle, we were surprised at how small our room was, we had room 9. Fortunately we didn't pay the full price advertised on the web site. Home made biscuits were an nice added touch and lashings of hot water for a deep bath after a long walk! Location is wonderful, right on the river. We walked up to Simons Seat, stunning walk and lovely views

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
redlionmanagement, Owner at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
many thanks for taking the time to review us, so pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you soon
Regards
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I booked through Secret Escapes on a bit of a whim because I had had a terrible couple of weeks and badly needed some solitude and thinking time. You can certainly get that in the Dales, and although I arrived well in advance of the advertised check-in time, I was able to leave my bag in the room while I went back out to explore the area.
The Red Lion is handy for the riverside walking route, and it's only three and a bit miles to Grassington, so I was happy to go for an amble in the peaceful surroundings, and by the time I got back my room was ready.
My room (number 5) was very tasetfully decorated in pale blues, cream and pink, and there were all sorts of extra touches, like the Molton Brown toiletries (all of which I had a go with), a CD player complete with a selection of CDs (not all to my taste, but there was a port for connecting an MP3 player had I thought to bring one), and a slightly cross-eyed teddy bear on the bed. There were also plenty of tea and coffee facilities, including a cafetiere, and what looked (and tasted) like homemade ginger biscuits. There were lovely views from my window, from which I saw a group of fell walkers being menaced by a large goose, and I also found some amusingly titled romances in the drawers next to the bed.
I also ate at the hotel - just fish and chips, perfectly decent. The breakfast the next morning was excellent. The staff who I dealt with were never anything less than professional and friendly, and although I wasn't really there to socialise, I could have gone into the bar and joined the rest of the residents if I'd wanted to.
One tiny downside - the building is very old and I was able to hear other guests' TVs and conversations through the walls. However, all noise had stopped more or less by midnight, and you do have to expect that with older buildings.
I would definitely return, but probably in warmer weather - not because the hotel is cold, but just because i can imagine the roads being a bit of a nightmare in winter...

Room Tip: I only saw room 5. I don't think location would make much difference to noise, as it's a ver...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
So pleased you enjoyed your break with us and we hope to see you again maybe in the summer?
Kind regards
seaham
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Just returned from a 2 night break and it more than lived up to expectations. We stayed in room 3 which had the most enormous comfy bed,a great bathroom and was so cosy and warm.Little touches like fresh coffee and biscuits in the room make all the difference.The staff were all friendly welcoming and helpful. The food was superb and the chef catered for my gluten free diet without prior knowledge. Fantastically placed for wandering along the river to Grassington. Couldn't stop smiling the whole time. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
redlionmanagement, Owner at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review us. Really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we made your stay a smiley one !
We look forward to hopefully being able to welcome you back to The Lion in the near future
kindest regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed on a Sunday night in room 38 of the Manor House as part of a Living Social Deal. We were given a warm welcome check-in on arrival. The Manor car park is a further 100 yards from the main hotel but convenient for the accommodation. The room, although not expansive, was quite adequate with en-suite toilet & shower. However, being in the "eaves" of the building, windows were smaller and it felt somewhat darker. Our son had room 37, one floor below, which is same size but lighter and brighter with a bathroom window too. Tea/coffee facilities were provided. Wifi is not available in Manor house but is fine in the main hotel.
We enjoyed a drink in front of a log fire before a good evening meal in the bar with Real Ale. Breakfast comprised cereal, fruit, toast, cooked English, choice of fruit juices and tea or coffee and was a fine start to the day. We'd return anytime.

Room Tip: Rooms are lighter with bigger windows on floor 1
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
redlionmanagement, Owner at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review us, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and would love to see you again
Sarah,Vicky,Katy and Eleanor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnsall
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hawes
The Traddock
The Traddock
#1 of 1 in Austwick

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!