“Would have liked to have been served!!”
Review of Wharfe View

Wharfe View
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Burnsall
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Would have liked to have been served!!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Called at this café whilst on a walking weekend. It was a sunny bank holiday so fairly busy. I ventured inside to see if you needed to order as we had to wait for a table outside as we had our dog with us. ( I gather many cyclists use this café on a regular basis and there were quite a few on this occasion also). There appeared to be no counter at which to order so took a couple of menus outside where my husband had found us a table. We chose our food, although the menu seemed to contain a lot of egg options, and looked around for waitresses. I caught the attention of one of the waitresses and asked if we were meant to order inside or not to which she replied "no, find a table and she will be with you shortly." We then waited a further 15 minutes with another waitress appearing periodically to clear plates, and ask various other customers if their food was alright. I then asked a different waitress if she could take our order to which she replied " She will be with you shortly", I said that we had already waited 15 minutes and she said "She will be with you shortly". A family then left a table and a large group of cyclists arrived and seated themselves next to us in their place. "She" then came out of the café with a white envelope in hand which she had ripped into bits of paper to write down customer's orders. (fine, I'm all for recycling, no pun intended) but then went straight to the cyclists who had just arrived. Trying to remain patient we waited until she had taken their orders of ice cream and orange juices and then said "excuse me could you take our order please we have been waiting 20 minutes now". She said " well I am here now what do you want?" to which I said with a laugh.." I can't remember now I have forgotten" so "She" said " well ok you can go if you like" so I looked at my husband and said "ok then, we will go elsewhere". So, I really would have liked to have tried this cafe's products but it seems "she" does not trust her young staff to take orders and is prepared to lose custom. They do not seem to be able to cope with normal bank holiday custom. I will not be recommending this café stop to my cycling friends when they visit this area in July for the "tour" when there are plenty of really friendly cafes and pubs in the village and other villages en route. Including the café on the car park where the owner is very friendly and makes a great cuppa which we had tried before we set off for our walk. As you will see from my other reviews, I do not give bad reviews, unfortunately this establishment soured our day so much I felt compelled to write this review. Hope future walkers have better customer service if you decide to visit. Good luck!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Net m

“Avoid - inferior tourist trap!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped off here after a walk in the area and before our drive home. Dire interior which put us off at the start, but looks can be deceptive but I should have abided by the "First impressions" train of thought. Ordered a hot chocolate for my young daughter with cream. It was so boiling hot she scalded her mouth. The cream, which you would have expected as the whippy double cream type of affair, was in fact clotted cream which quickly melted as a rancid layer of yellow fat - disgusting! When pointed out to the waitress no word of apology was offered, and again when a cream less and still scaldingly dangerous replacement was brought the girl uttered nothing. The baked assortment in the dated hostess trolley being wheeled around did not look in the slightest bit tempting. I assume it was the owner, was sat there loudly chatting with what looked and sounded like a couple of regulars whilst tucking in to her food, totally ignoring/oblivious to me as I tried to attract attention to pay up. Before leaving I told the waitress that there was a cracking running the length of the milk jug and how it was a health risk. She looked at me and remained silent. I imagine it's still being used. A bad show all in all. My advice; cycle, walk or drive to the next tea room/village/town and don't waste your money here.

1 Thank Nannyannielou
York, United Kingdom
“Inconsistent”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We often stop here for a coffee and/or scones and normally find the food ok and the coffee excellent.Service is often slow but friendly.However on our last visit it seems service has slipped as has the quality of food.Our 2 scones with jam and cream were literally thrown onto the table,were pre buttered and very dry .fortunately the coffee was excellent.i would normally rate a cafe like this as 2 star but have made it 3 as I know it is normally better

Visited May 2014
Leeds
“Consistently good food and service”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have cycled to this cafe a couple of times a year for several years and the food has been consistently good and the service always pleasant, however busy the staff have been. It is certainly one of the best cafes that our cycling club uses

Visited May 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Such a let down!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The cafe came highly recommended to us while we were camping nearby. The setting in Burnsall was lovely, and we hoped the food would match. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. We visited on a beautiful day, and we sat inside to keep the babies away from the sun.

The menu was varied, from all day breakfasts to afternoon teas, and we opted for the non greasy spoon option of afternoon tea. We ordered scones and some milkshakes (saying on the menu that they were made with real ice cream). What we got was rock buns with bitter, burnt sultanas and nesquik. The scones were brought to us on a single plate and dumped in the middle of the table for us to take the hands in approach.

When questioned whether the milkshakes were made with real ice cream, the waitress told us that ice cream was used in preparation, which I found hard to believe considering the warm raspberry milkshake that we received almost instantly. The cooked food looked good, and the smell of bacon fat was all around the cafe. The cooked stuff is probably a redeeming feature, but because we didn't have that, and we expected so much, the visit was awfully disappointing...

Visited April 2014