Hair splitting about the fact that this is on the junction of the A1 and A684 aside, this is (effectively) a motorway service station hotel and, if anything, the layout and décor of the place seemed to emphasise this fact.
In terms of my room (Room 34 if anyone from the hotel is reading this), I have two major criticisms:
Even when in the Freeview programme guide, the TV changed the channel when using the up and down arrows to scroll through the channel list – something it should not do – and also when the ‘cursor’ was on a channel the TV took ages to find the list of programmes for that channel
The door to the bathroom of my room did not shut properly, meaning that I did not take the shower that I was planning to take out of fear that I would set off the smoke detector next to the bathroom entrance
In terms of the hotel as a whole, you will either love it or hate it:
If you have been conditioned by and/or accustomed to modern hotels – such as the generic ‘business chain’ hotels – you will not be able to see beyond the dated décor, which screams 1960’s and will make you think of the TV sitcom ‘Are You Being Served’, and will hate this place
If you can see this place in the narrow purview of ‘bed and bog’ and as an initial ‘base camp’ to head into the Yorkshire Dales or Yorkshire Moors, you will probably be able to tap into the personality of this place – as the staff will see and treat you as a person rather than a customer
I have therefore initially awarded three out of five because I can see both sides of the coin of how you may view the hotel as a whole, and have then deducted one for the two issues specific to my room to arrive at my final rating of two out of five.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lodge is situated in its own extensive grounds, adjacent to the A1 Great North Road, one mile from Bedale. The 39 bedroom Lodge offers free WiFi and is perfectly situated for a North/South stop over or to discover the beautiful countryside of the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors. The special executive rooms are brand new and have 32 inch flat screen TVs as well as air conditioning.All bedrooms are ensuite and feature all modern comforts such as Flat Screen TV, Freeview, trouser press, hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities. The Executive rooms have air conditioning and 32 inch flat screen tvs. Some of these rooms are situated on the ground floor and have wheelchair access.The Old Market Square Restaurant & Cafe Bar enjoy an award winning reputation, renowned for traditional English cuisine complimented by friendly service in a relaxed atmosphere. The Virtual reality world of a Market Town in the Restaurant has been created by a local artist. Doors, Windows & Shop Fronts all tell a story that reflects the history of the owners over the last 50 years. Access via reception is through a level passage with no steps to negotiate, easy for anyone with limited mobility or users of wheelchairs.Two dedicated meeting rooms are available and popular as the hotel is in an ideal location just off the A1M for business people wanting to meet up in a location halfway between Leeds and the North East (or London & Scotland). The biggest meeting room can take up to 150 delegates theatre style.Local attractions include the Yorkshire Dales, a national park with beautiful scenery. The Historic City of York is just a short drive away as are Ripon and Richmond. There is also a Tourist Information Centre based at the Lodge which provides information on local and national things to see and do. The Wensleydale Railway passes through some of the most beautiful scenery in the Yorkshire Dales, running for 17 miles from Leeming Bar to Redmire on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Trains run throughout the year (daily during the Summer; at weekends and during school holiday periods during the rest of the year). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Lodge At Leeming Bar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lodge At Leeming Bar Hotel Bedale
- Hotel At Leeming Bar
- At Leeming Bar Bedale
- Lodge At Leeming Bar Bedale, North Yorkshire